Page 1 of 4
I was thinking... Is it possible?Like does it sound ok? Because for a number of reasons, me and a friend of mine have to get by with two guitars and a drummer... I was thinking just kick the bass up on the rhythm?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
no...you need a bassist, they are like,the most importent part of a band....
but seriously you need a bassist
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It is possible but it will sound like it has something missing. Use programmed basses then use them on your songs.
Quote by 12Jim34
It is possible but it will sound like it has something missing. Use programmed basses then use them on your songs.

yeh, God forbid you get a real bassist.,...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
A bassist will really help fill out your sound and capture the groove of the song.

Even bands without a bassist (i.e. The Doors, The White Stripes) usually synthesize a bass part or record an extra bass track during recording.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It will sound sincredibly hollow without a bassist. Think ...And Justice For All (the bass was put so low in the mix is is essentially not there). It can sound good, but there is something missing. Someone pounding roots undert the rhythm guitar can drastically fill out a song. A great bassist can completely control the groove, feel and rhythm of a song.

There are bands without a bassist, but very few are known for musical ability, and almost all would benefit from bass in one form or another (not including acoustic bands).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
In my opinion, bands without bass sound like ****.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

No, you kinda really do need a bassist. Placebo usually have a couple of songs on each album that they play live without bass due to there only being 3 people in the band, but even then they record bass into the mix.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
No instrument is essential, but a bass always adds something. White Stripes, Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers and the Jon Spencer Blues explosion are (mostly) bassles and sound pretty damn good.
Quote by Kai07
use a Whammy.

Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Bass = really fecking useful.
My band has no bassist at the moment and we're dead for it.
Unless you're wanting to be like The Dresden Dolls.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by dantheguitarist
The Doors.

yeah, but they had a keyboardist that played basslines, and they did use a bassist at some points.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
In after butthurt bassists

Most metal sounds fine without bass, because the guitars are so heavy (AJFA sounds great, stop kidding yourself. The guitars had so much bass in their tone it drowned out any bass). Other cleaner music really needs a bass to fill out the bottom end though, so at least have it done on a sequencer or something.
Sleater-Kinney didn't have a bass player, they just tuned to C# standard.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by Vermintide

Most metal sounds fine without bass, because the guitars are so heavy. Other cleaner music really needs a bass to fill out the bottom end though, so at least have it done on a sequencer or something.

Like previously mentioned, though, ...AJFA sounded like crap.
Quote by 12Jim34
Like previously mentioned, though, ...AJFA sounded like crap.

It didn't though. I just edited that in. AJFA sounds pretty tight and heavy to me, and the basslines it does have are all pretty boring regardless.
I don't think it should be done, it is a vital piece. Imagine the male body with no testicles.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by Vermintide

Most metal sounds fine without bass, because the guitars are so heavy (AJFA sounds great, stop kidding yourself. The guitars had so much bass in their tone it drowned out any bass). Other cleaner music really needs a bass to fill out the bottom end though, so at least have it done on a sequencer or something.

Actually, metal needs one so much more in order to add the heaviness required. Same goes for people saying to use an octaver or a whammy to drop a guitar an octave. Sure it may play bass notes, but it won't even have the sound and effect of a bass.

Heavy guitars does not fill the bottom end of the spectrum out, which is essentially what dropping a guitar with a whammy or an octaver will do (ok, I know their effect is different, but from a band sound perspective, that is all it sounds like).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Actually, metal needs one so much more in order to add the heaviness required. Same goes for people saying to use an octaver or a whammy to drop a guitar an octave. Sure it may play bass notes, but it won't even have the sound and effect of a bass.

Heavy guitars does not fill the bottom end of the spectrum out, which is essentially what dropping a guitar with a whammy or an octaver will do (ok, I know their effect is different, but from a band sound perspective, that is all it sounds like).

True enough audiophiles like ourselves will say it sounds thin without bass, but your Average Joe won't even notice. They'll go "OLOLOL MUSIC DOESN'T HAVE FISH IN IT NEWAY LOLOL"

Honestly, in 90% of metal you can't hear the bassline unless you are really listening for it. Other kinds of music, like I say, DO need bass, but all I'm saying is that metal is do-able without.
The Black Keys dont have one , and they make really awesome music.
Though there last record that is released ( or is gonna be released) had much changes I heard.
Instead of the traditional guitar & drum , there are much more instruments added...

I wonder how they would sound
my band is two guitarist and drummer. We are looking for bassist, but not forcing it and we got gigs and sound fine. Will loose some variety, but definately acceptable
I've heard several bands without bass players, sounds fine as long as the guitar tone has a nice amp that has a good bassy tone to it.

but I hate when songs just mimick the guitar parts, for bass..
even though most do.

sounds much better with a bass player though..
supports the song

but you don't HAVE to have one.. but you def. SHOULD.
1)Nile have session bassist for recording and touring. They just don't have a permenant one. There is no way you can sound that heavy without a bass.

2) I cannot think of a single decent metal band without a bassist, or at least not doing a Nile and getting temporary ones.

3)Mimicking the guitar isnn't necessarily bad. If it is the best line for the song, why not play it?

4) A bassy guitar ampis not anywhere close to a bass. Hence, why a bass will destroy the speaker in a guitar amp.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i kind of think no because whenever i'm jamming with a friend (when the friend is on drums) it sound pretty decent

but i've never jammed with a full band so i couldn't tell the difference lol
Bass is the most important part of the band.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by gonzaw
IF you wanna make a rock etc band, then you should...

If you wanna make it a string cuartet or something, then don't.

It's spelled quartet. Besides, string quartets have a cello that can go down to a low C under the E of a guitar.
Last edited by pwrmax at May 9, 2008,
Quote by cwotspot
i kind of think no because whenever i'm jamming with a friend (when the friend is on drums) it sound pretty decent

but i've never jammed with a full band so i couldn't tell the difference lol

Then you really can't give any form of opinion

Especially if you just jammed
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
No, you kinda really do need a bassist. Placebo usually have a couple of songs on each album that they play live without bass due to there only being 3 people in the band, but even then they record bass into the mix.

Just out of interest.... HOW??

Do you mean they have a session player tucked round the side of the stage??

Soz man i dont quite understand.

I dont mean to be a di*k itsjust this bit i dont understand:

"...but even then they record bass into the mix."
Quote by Slaveaway
I dont mean to be a di*k itsjust this bit i dont understand:

"...but even then they record bass into the mix."

When they recorded the song it had a bassline?

I'm pretty sure Placebo have a bunch of extra people on stage anyway...
Page 1 of 4