If i have a humbucker with a coil tap, how har would it be to set in a new humbucker, but with the same coil tap?
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by halloweenhead
If i have a humbucker with a coil tap, how har would it be to set in a new humbucker, but with the same coil tap?

You'll have to be careful about this kind of thing; some humbuckers can't be tapped so you'll have to make sure the one you want to use can be to begin with but beyond that I don't know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
just get another four conducter humbucker and replace the wires exactly like the old one.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by kasso
just get another four conducter humbucker and replace the wires exactly like the old one.

This would work for coil splitting or in/out phasing but coil tapping invloves the way the wire is wound from the factory all 4 wire pick ups can be coil split but not necesarrily coil tapped.(common misconception I used to think the same myself)

Before installing your new one, go to the manufacturers web site to make sure the pick up is tapped. If not you can still use the push pull swith to coil spilt it as long as there are 4 wires.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
This would work for coil splitting or in/out phasing but coil tapping invloves the way the wire is wound from the factory all 4 wire pick ups can be coil split but not necesarrily coil tapped.(common misconception I used to think the same myself)

Before installing your new one, go to the manufacturers web site to make sure the pick up is tapped. If not you can still use the push pull swith to coil spilt it as long as there are 4 wires.

So what exactly is the difference between the two (tapping and splitting)?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Stolen from the Seymour Duncan FAQ:

What is a coil tap?
A coil tap refers to a lead connected to an individual coil’s winding and is used to raise and lower a pickup’s output and change its tone. This is most often utilized on single coil pickups where the player wants a higher output pickup but also wants to be able to switch to a lower output and more vintage-type tone using the same pickup. Many of our pickups for Strat® and Tele® are available in tapped versions for an additional $1 - $11, depending on the model. In addition,you can special order a "Shop Floor Custom" tapped version of any other pickup for an upcharge of $12.

What is coil splitting?
Coil splitting refers to the ability to disable one coil in a humbucker-type pickup. This offers the player option of getting a single coil-type tone from a humbucker-loaded guitar. Many pickups have three- or four-conductor wiring that allows for one coil to be disabled by shorting one coil to either ground or hot. All production Seymour Duncan humbuckers can be purchased with four-conductor wiring either stock from the factory or as a Production Floor Custom order. The exceptions to this rule are the Vintage Rails (SVR-1) and Duckbuckers (SDBR-1), which are wired internally in parallel from the factory.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
When you coil split a humbucker it basically makes it as close to a single coil as you can get by cutting out one half of the pick up. Coil tapping uses both halves of the pick up but changes the output level and tone of the overall pick up. When they are wound in the factory they stop about half way thru the winding procedure and add 2 of the 4 leads then they continue winding and add the other 2 leads. Someone else may be able to explain it better but thats as close as I can get with the amount of brain cells I have left.
Think of it this way coil split uses one coil fully wound and coil tap uses both coils partially wound. hope this helps
Quote by GOLDIE93
When you coil split a humbucker it basically makes it as close to a single coil as you can get by cutting out one half of the pick up. Coil tapping uses both halves of the pick up but changes the output level and tone of the overall pick up. When they are wound in the factory they stop about half way thru the winding procedure and add 2 of the 4 leads then they continue winding and add the other 2 leads. Someone else may be able to explain it better but thats as close as I can get with the amount of brain cells I have left.
Think of it this way coil split uses one coil fully wound and coil tap uses both coils partially wound. hope this helps

So coil splitting would produce a more single coil-like sound where tapping ends up sounding a quieter humbucker?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
YEah. a little quieter and the tone changes.
Nobody really bothers tapping humbuckers, seeing as it's a lot easier to either split them or wire them in parallel, you only really use coil taps on single coils as there's no other way to drop the output.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok... I have a question. How do i know whether my humbuckers are tapped or split? I have a schecter gryphon that came with a "coil tap" which i frequently use. However, it doesn't sound much like a single coil... it just sounds like a quieter version of my pickups with slightly different tone (i would describe it as smoother and cleaner).
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
Ok... I have a question. How do i know whether my humbuckers are tapped or split? I have a schecter gryphon that came with a "coil tap" which i frequently use. However, it doesn't sound much like a single coil... it just sounds like a quieter version of my pickups with slightly different tone (i would describe it as smoother and cleaner).

They're split, nobody bothers tapping humbckers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

then why did the guitar come with a little tag around the Tone knob that said "Coil Tap" ?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
then why did the guitar come with a little tag around the Tone knob that said "Coil Tap" ?

Because people give things the wrong names, same reason every Fender strat has a tremolo bridge when strictly speaking it's a vibrato.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc