Hello its me again sorry for my "lots of" amp question posts but i sold my amp today and i have no amp so i need to find an amp to play with.. i thought of buying the ibanez tbx15r amp but couldnt find any used... i found one marshall mg15cdr and by the help of this forum im now a anti-marshall person but can it be used just to practice a bit maybe i like it? i will use a dist. pedal so dont need to worry about the shtty overdrive channel what you say is marshall a looot worse than ibanez.? is it that bad that it cant even give the sound with pedals ? help needed
Well for a start what is your price range and what style of music do you play? You may will most like be able to get something better but a range and style are needed first and foremost.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I don't have that much money... just have the money for used 15 watt marshall (or ibanez) and a used distortion pedal. i dont have lots of option both used and new in Turkey so ill have to choose a simplek amp and pedal. dont want something OMG WTF SUPER just want something normal that i can play with...
I use a Marshall MG10 Kerry King Edition for my practice amp and I quite like it! It's loud and has great distortion and cleans. The best part was I only paid US$50 for it new.
You can use distortion pedals through the clean channel of a cube just fine, or you can get footswitches for the cube's onboard distortion channel. I'm using a Cube 60 though, dunno if the microcubes have the plug for a switch pedal
I had the pedal from before I got the amp, comes in handy because I don't have any footswitches for when I want to go clean to dirty and back. But yea, the cube's distortion is better.
Quote by blind.quardian
the digital cube has better distortion than an analog pedal? good laugh for me

Yes, because SS amps don't take pedals well. You're actually better off getting a decent SS that you can use the in built distortion on.
Quote by blind.quardian
the digital cube has better distortion than an analog pedal? good laugh for me

You, sir, are an idiot. Even though something is analog, it doesn't mean it'll sound great when you play it through a MG15.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i listened the sound from youtube people who had a digitech metal master and guitars worse than mine and a marshal mg15 and i liked it... i also listened for roland micro cube it wasnt bad but i dont think i will like it as much anyway i dont have the oppurtunity to buy a tube amp cos they are too expensive and rare here maybe few years later tnx for helps
Quote by blind.quardian
i listened the sound from youtube people who had a digitech metal master and guitars worse than mine and a marshal mg15 and i liked it... i also listened for roland micro cube it wasnt bad but i dont think i will like it as much anyway i dont have the oppurtunity to buy a tube amp cos they are too expensive and rare here maybe few years later tnx for helps

why wouldn't you like it as much? it unarguably sounds better. Also, i find the MG can sound ok from a listening point of view, its just the experience of playing through it is a horrible one. The cube may be digital as opposed to the analog MG, but it sounds a lot more tube-like.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
im damn confused the roland seems too bad cos you just have to choose the effect it doesnt have an eq etc damn dont know what to do i will play lots of metal and i dont think roland can give me a very high gain sound which a metal master can give. and also if a small roland could fck up all these why there are pedals? why there is marshall? i dont understand
Spiders and MGs are both good as prac amps but cubes are better.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Last edited by Slayer566 at May 10, 2008,
Don't judge tone off youtube videos, you can't really tell till you've heard it or played through it. HUGE difference in playing through something and listening to something.

Because you're all new at this, you will not be able to clearly pick out the tone difference in amplifiers, but in time you will. Everyone here is making good suggestions, listen to them!

My suggestion: Get the Roland Microcube. It is by far one of the best practice amps. It has build in effects if you want them, but you can turn it off, it's just rotating the dial, it's not rocket science. It has several different amplifier models so it can go from a nice clean to a distortion, and yes, it has plenty of gain metal, don't let the size fool you.

I don't understand your attitude towards cube's and pedals. The cube will sound far better with the pedal than the MG. Why are there pedals? They don't all make pedals because it's the best thing that's ever been invented, companies make pedals to make money off people, especially with all the "distortion" pedals. Beginners don't seem to understand the difference between that overdrive pedal their hero uses and a Digitech Death-core-metuhlz, and companies use that to their advantage to get lots of profit from them.

Also, Marshall MG amps are hardly Marshall at all. The most Marshall thing about it is the logo, that's about it. The amplifier is dull, the tone knobs don't do much at all, muddy sharp distortion...there's a reason why people tell you to go against it. Marshall are just using their whole big reputation, making a crap over-priced amplifier and selling it with their name to trick newbies. I don't think they are even good as practice amps, specially when you can get a roland microcube instead.

There's my 2 cents, but it's pretty much what everyone has said so far. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Gear:
M'Gerada classical guitar (first crappy guitar)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (sold)
Laney 15w SS (sold)
Cheapo Aldi Acoustic
Pocket Pod (borken)
Ibanez RGR421
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
If i find a used micro cube i can buy it. the cube seems to sound good but still i dont understand how a digital amp can be better than analog amp and pedal :/
and dont worry im not fooled by the pedals which the "heroes" use. its just seems to be the easiest way to come close their tone. and btw can i play something like children of bodom and in flames and maybe something heavier like dimmu borgir with that roland cube? cos the digitech pedal has some really heavy distortion on it. if i will be able to get that tone with roland i might buy it
Last edited by blind.quardian at May 10, 2008,
Quote by blind.quardian
If i find a used micro cube i can buy it. the cube seems to sound good but still i dont understand how a digital amp can be better than analog amp and pedal :/
and dont worry im not fooled by the pedals which the "heroes" use. its just seems to be the easiest way to come close their tone. and btw can i play something like children of bodom and in flames and maybe something heavier like dimmu borgir with that roland cube? cos the digitech pedal has some really heavy distortion on it. if i will be able to get that tone with roland i might buy it

never mind the whole analog vs digital thing for now, the fact is that the cube is just a much better sounding amplifier. no amount of pedals can make a crappy amp like the marshall MG sound good, analog or not. the cube doesn't like pedals that much (as with most digital amps) but its one of the best digital amps on the market, and since it has so many different types of distortion and such, you don't really need to use pedals with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
ok thanks and let me ask it again can it be as heavy for playing bands like children of bodom in flames and also some black metal style?
I have the Micro Cube. It does sound really good. I bought it used off these forums for about $85 and it's the best money I have every spent on guitar gear.

It's great for practice, easy to use and loud enough to let you know that it's there.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by blind.quardian
ok thanks and let me ask it again can it be as heavy for playing bands like children of bodom in flames and also some black metal style?

You don't seem to understand...at your budget, and because of your location...pretty much NOTHING will give you those tones perfectly. You'll have to settle with what you can get.

And just because something SS or digital does not automatically make it sound terrible. Considering you don't really have an amp, or get to try out a lot of amps...I don't really know where you get these misguided preconceptions...I suggest you get rid of them.
i have a question for you(blind.quardian),
why would you sell your amp to buy another amp; you don't even know you want?

Anyways, yes the MG series is possibley the worst amp ever made i would saygetting a Roland Cube- Micro Cube by the amps you suggested, this is most likely in your price range.
the Micro Cube has several effects and amp models built in.

Get the Micro Cube, and don't be a idiot like me and buy a MG:P
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by blind.quardian

i used to play suffocation on my old cube 30 which is alot more heavy and brutal then those bands.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10