So I was looking around for a used 2x12 cabinet and I noticed that 2x12's are more expensive than 4x12's.

You would think smaller cabinet = less materials = cheaper, but I guess not.

What's up with that?
Are you sure about that? Were they the same model of cab? If not you may be looking at a much better 2x12 than the 4x12.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
More demand for 2x12s would be my guess. Good for practice and gigging, whereas 4x12s are good for gigging but not really that practical for practicing in ones home. Thats just my guess, I might be way off.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
no, something was wrong with the prices you were looking at, or they were different models or something. If they were the same models with the same speakers, a 4x12 will be more money. Sometimes the difference is small, but they are always more if it's new.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 9, 2008,
a vader 2x12 will deifnitely cost more than a behringer 4x12.

XD

maybe you got some models mixed up.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Consider that most 2x12's are at least pretty good. Then consider that a lot of 4x12's were designed for the lowest common denominators of guitar amps. And this often happens within the same company.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Consider that most 2x12's are at least pretty good. Then consider that a lot of 4x12's were designed for the lowest common denominators of guitar amps. And this often happens within the same company.

after thinking about it, i think this is the answer. there are tons of budget 4x12's out there, but 2x12's are almost always good quality. i kinda wish they made lower quality 2x12's
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
after thinking about it, i think this is the answer. there are tons of budget 4x12's out there, but 2x12's are almost always good quality. i kinda wish they made lower quality 2x12's

Totally true; I want a 2x12 but can't afford one, where I could probably afford just abotu any of the 'budget' 4x12s with relative ease.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Totally true; I want a 2x12 but can't afford one, where I could probably afford just abotu any of the 'budget' 4x12s with relative ease.

Smart man. Save for the quality cab. Buy it once, buy it for life. Whatever amp you run through it will sound its best through a top quality cab & speakers!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
if you are looking at used stuff, a lot of the 2x12s will have better speakers. as people have said, there are a lot more budget 4x12s than 2x12s. probably cause all those beginners want to look cool with their big stack (compensating for something?) and dont care about quality as much. and its more cost effective to upgrade speakers in a 2x12 as well, so some of those used cabs may have been upgraded as well.