I have lived in the south most of my life. Everyone around me has a thick southern accent....well I think it's thick. I've never liked the way it sounded and I don't like to go out of town just to be ridiculed about bein a "Hick" or "Redneck" and what have you.

So...over the past 5 or 6 years or so I have been tryin to force myself out of it and try to force myself from using southern terms such as "y'all" "do whaaat" etc etc etc.

Now, any of you other UGers ever been through anything like this?
Why look a man in the eye when you can shoot him in the back?

If you can't convince them; confuse them.

Quote by smb
I think anyone who hasn't cheated hasn't lived.
No, because I'm not ashamed of myself.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I don't think I'd like to try and get rid of my occasional typical dialectal pronunciation to certain words, it helps add something to my voice, which is annoyingly neutral :/
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by metaldud536
I see what you did thar.

careful! i got my 4th ban for saying that.
Lol.

I never said I was ashamed of myself. I just want to meet my mental standards. Something I cannot change.
I stutter every now and then.
I talk too fast for most people to understand(thank you texting!!!)
I'm OCD about dumbass things.
And i can't look people in the eye for more than two seconds.

Quote by smb
I know what you mean. I never really have had a really thick southern accent, but I do try not to help the Southern stereotype.
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
Quote by feenxfire
Lol.

I never said I was ashamed of myself. I just want to meet my mental standards. Something I cannot change.
I stutter every now and then.
I talk too fast for most people to understand(thank you texting!!!)
I'm OCD about dumbass things.
And i can't look people in the eye for more than two seconds.

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/ad_symptoms.php

All of those things can be related to Dyspraxia... The link is a list of symptoms.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be patronising, I got it and only found out about 2/3 months ago. Watcha think of that list?
Last edited by Craigo at May 9, 2008,
Southern American is like Northern English, it makes you sound thicker than you are a lot of the time.

I wouldn't change myself, I'd just prove people wrong.
Bah, don't worry about it. A lot of people find heavy southern accents sexy. XD
Lack of rhythm when dancing, doing aerobics

Lack of manual dexterity. Poor at two-handed tasks, causing problems with using cutlery, cleaning, cooking, ironing, craft work, playing musical instruments

Difficulty with dressing and grooming activities, such as putting on makeup, shaving, doing hair, fastening clothes and tying shoelaces

May talk continuously and repeat themselves. Some people with dyspraxia have difficulty with organising the content and sequence of their language

May have unclear speech and be unable to pronounce some words

Speech may have uncontrolled pitch, volume and rate

O_O

I'm gonna die aren't I??? Lol. I'm fine....i don't need help. Although it was kinda hard to put on my make up this morning....yes....i wear make up....but you wouldn't know unless I told you...so HUSH!!!

Quote by smb
feenxfire: I do that too! The talking too fast thing. But I usually talk so fast I end up tripping myself over my own words... which is really dumb. I do try to slow down, but it's quite hard.

To the TS, I totally understand why you would want to change, especially if you get ridiculed and stuff. There's nothing wrong with a little pretention. But don't change yourself too much or lose friends over it, it's really not worth it.
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
I slightly altered the way I spoke when I moved to University, but that's because I went from Glasgow to Yorkshire, and hardly anybody understood me so I had to slow down (I tend to talk pretty fast) and pronounce words clearer. It's stuck with me a bit, but it's nothing major so...
Quote by ValoRhoads
how old are you?

Me? Too young. I'll be 21 in augst. Why?

Quote by smb
n/m, by your profile it says that you are 18 - 19. I was simliar to what you described around this age and I gotta tell you it's not a bad thing. You gotta run with it! What I did was I went out and lived my life. I moved to college, made some friends, took some risks, let my freak flag fly, got in some trouble, all that great stuff. i gotta tell ya, I'm 26 now and wow how things have changed. I look people dead in the face, I talk to anyone who's around, I leave town all the time and go on adventures. Some people still think I'm a wierdo, but hell they're right, let's party!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Alix_D
Southern American is like Northern English, it makes you sound thicker than you are a lot of the time.

...this is true

I don't do it as much anymore though. Dizzy heard me the other day and he said I wouldn't sound out of place in London.... but I kind of want to sound like I come from up North. Bah.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by feenxfire
Lack of rhythm when dancing, doing aerobics

Lack of manual dexterity. Poor at two-handed tasks, causing problems with using cutlery, cleaning, cooking, ironing, craft work, playing musical instruments

Difficulty with dressing and grooming activities, such as putting on makeup, shaving, doing hair, fastening clothes and tying shoelaces

May talk continuously and repeat themselves. Some people with dyspraxia have difficulty with organising the content and sequence of their language

May have unclear speech and be unable to pronounce some words

Speech may have uncontrolled pitch, volume and rate

O_O

I'm gonna die aren't I??? Lol. I'm fine....i don't need help. Although it was kinda hard to put on my make up this morning....yes....i wear make up....but you wouldn't know unless I told you...so HUSH!!!

You definately sound like a dyspraxic A lot of the other ones I didn't notice 'til ages in me, I had to have someone else tell me I actually have concentration problems, bad short term memory, sleeping problems, etc. I've always been a strong academic (most dyspraxics are) so I didn't actually know.

Haha, I don't take it seriously, I just learnt more about it to learn more about myself which was awesome and helped me out. I don't care about anything else. I know I handle it fine so I don't give a crap, and neither should any other sufferer.

Why don't you try looking it up more? Did you have any development problems when you were a much much younger? (speech and walking tend to be common)
Quote by CaptainBec
feenxfire: I do that too! The talking too fast thing. But I usually talk so fast I end up tripping myself over my own words... which is really dumb. I do try to slow down, but it's quite hard.

To the TS, I totally understand why you would want to change, especially if you get ridiculed and stuff. There's nothing wrong with a little pretention. But don't change yourself too much or lose friends over it, it's really not worth it.

1) Sucks doesn't it?! ARGH!

2) And i've never done anything that major...the only friends I have are the ones I've known since grade school and the ones i've been workin with for a couple of years.

Quote by smb
Quote by feenxfire
1) Sucks doesn't it?! ARGH!

2) And i've never done anything that major...the only friends I have are the ones I've known since grade school and the ones i've been workin with for a couple of years.

Read my post on the first page
Quote by Craigo
You definately sound like a dyspraxic A lot of the other ones I didn't notice 'til ages in me, I had to have someone else tell me I actually have concentration problems, bad short term memory, sleeping problems, etc. I've always been a strong academic (most dyspraxics are) so I didn't actually know.

Haha, I don't take it seriously, I just learnt more about it to learn more about myself which was awesome and helped me out. I don't care about anything else. I know I handle it fine so I don't give a crap, and neither should any other sufferer.

Why don't you try looking it up more? Did you have any development problems when you were a much much younger? (speech and walking tend to be common)

I've always done very well academically. I knew how to read before I started kindergarten and I graduated high school with a 3.8. I won't take it seriously until it starts to interfere with my everyday to day life. I mean....it hasn't inconvenienced me a bit so far, so why start worryin now?

Quote by smb
I really do think you just need some adventure in your life. Go out and do something you've never done but always wanted to! I quote my good friend Frankie Wienzerl "Don't do anything I wouldn't do, but if you do... name it after me!"
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by feenxfire
I've always done very well academically. I knew how to read before I started kindergarten and I graduated high school with a 3.8. I won't take it seriously until it starts to interfere with my everyday to day life. I mean....it hasn't inconvenienced me a bit so far, so why start worryin now?

Ahh, fair enough. There's loads of symptoms (OCD is common among dyspraxics) which isn't covered there, no-one has all of them.

It hasn't changed my life at all finding out, I just know more about myself, if you know what I mean? I find out why I can get aggressive in arguments and stuff and it's helped me understand myself. I don't worry about it, I just like knowing that bit extra. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

But, sure, if you don't care about it, don't, it's not important anyway. Both me and you can agree on that

EDIT: Why not look up how it affects people socially? It took me ages to have the ability to look people in the eye actually. It might be cool finding out that little bit extra. But, like I said, it's not entirely important, I'm not trying to push you into thinking it's a bad thing.
Quote by Craigo
Ahh, fair enough. There's loads of symptoms (OCD is common among dyspraxics) which isn't covered there, no-one has all of them.

It hasn't changed my life at all finding out, I just know more about myself, if you know what I mean? I find out why I can get aggressive in arguments and stuff and it's helped me understand myself.

Lol. I can get VERY aggressive in arguments. Guess that explains that. I didn't go through the whole list cuz i'm fixin to go home for the weekend. PM me the link to that site if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it.

Well....goodbye to you pit going guys and gals. It's friday afternoon and time to go home to my girl and kids. You guys take it easy and i will see you all on monday.

Quote by smb
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i'd like to be more friendly and outgoing.

but i can't.

Ditto.
I'm fine when I'm with someone I've gotten comfortable with, otherwise I'm quite quiet.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by feenxfire
Lol. I can get VERY aggressive in arguments. Guess that explains that. I didn't go through the whole list cuz i'm fixin to go home for the weekend. PM me the link to that site if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it.

Well....goodbye to you pit going guys and gals. It's friday afternoon and time to go home to my girl and kids. You guys take it easy and i will see you all on monday.

Fair do! It's night here and I'm lazy, but I'll add you to my friends. If I forget to PM you, leave me a comment. I'll try to find the useful links...

I found out more through talking to an educational psychologist (I got an assessment because in the UK dyspraxics can apply for extra time in exams and other stuff. Sounds petty, it is. I don't need it but I'm taking advantage of it) but I'll see what I can find out for you.
when i was little i grew up with like a west country accent (uk peeps think bristol)

i moved to essex when i was 10 and no one really gave me any stick for having a different accent but i just picked up twangs of essex without doing it on purpose.

then a year and a bit after that i moved near liverpool where i got loads of stick for having a southern accent, so i tried to pick up scouse as much as i could as quick as i could

i still have the occasional slip of southern and everyone takes the mick out of me for it, but now i am mature enough to laugh at it, if i moved again my accent would stay how it is too i guess.

the weirdest thing is everyone here says i still sound obviously like a southerner and when i visit friends/family down south they say i sound like a scouser haha.
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!