I've looked everywhere and couldn't find any information on what exactly a harmony guitarists does or how to do it. The reason I want to know is because me and a couple of guys are trying to form a band. There's 3 guitarists. I opted to be Harmony guitar but I don't know exactly what harmony guitarists do.
ok I'm not trying to be a dick......but bluntly: They HARMONIZE.
Essentially, you will harmonize whatever the lead/melody of the song is(that is the easy way.) you could also be almost like a second lead guitar, who plays a melody different from the 1st lead guitar and play it in a different octave but the same key, so it harmonizes in some way, but that could be INCREDIBLY difficult if you don't understand. Take song writing from a "orchestral point of view" as crazy as it sounds, think of how you would piece together music in a full orchestra, where multiple instruments are playing something different that as a whole, sound beautiful....hope that helps...

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
I agree, there doesn't seem to be much instructional material out for playing rhythm/backup despite that being what most people play 90% of the time. Depends on the type of music and whether you are playing electric or acoustic.

If acoustic learn all the barre & open chord, learn a bunch of different strumming patterns, learn bass runs, triads & arpeggios and stuff like that.

If metal learn all the power chords on the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings down to the 12th fret. Also all the different techniques such as palm muting, pedal tones, and different ways and patterns of strumming power chords. That would be a good start for metal. There is a DVD out by a guy in Britain (Andy James I think?) that is all about metal rhythm. I don't have it but have seen some clips and it looks good.

If you are looking at light rock, pop, contemporary Christian music and stuff like that there is an awesome, *awesome* DVD out for that ... Paul Baloche's electric guitar DVD. It's taught from a perspective of how to play in a church band but the principles apply to lots of different musical styles.
Quote by New_Crisis
ok I'm not trying to be a dick......but bluntly: They HARMONIZE.
Essentially, you will harmonize whatever the lead/melody of the song is(that is the easy way.) you could also be almost like a second lead guitar, who plays a melody different from the 1st lead guitar and play it in a different octave but the same key, so it harmonizes in some way, but that could be INCREDIBLY difficult if you don't understand. Take song writing from a "orchestral point of view" as crazy as it sounds, think of how you would piece together music in a full orchestra, where multiple instruments are playing something different that as a whole, sound beautiful....hope that helps...

So if say the lead guitarist is tapping on frets 12, 15, and 19 then I should tap on 0, 3, and 7, correct?
Quote by guitarnoobie
So if say the lead guitarist is tapping on frets 12, 15, and 19 then I should tap on 0, 3, and 7, correct?

yes.

you could also harmonize in 3rds or 5ths which are more commonly used imo than octvaves
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Listen to the solo from the song by Cream, Politician. Eric Clapton overdubs the solo in a couple of places and it sounds superb.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
if you want to listen to what harmonizing sounds like listen to most any Boston song or

listen to Melodie der tage the UG album version on my profile at 10 seconds I harmonize the gutiar
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era