I currently have a Line 6 Spider III 75W, and I am trying to figure out what I want next for an amp.

I need more volume, well, not necessarily MORE, but for it to sound better when turned up past 4-5. I will be playing in several smaller gigs a couple times a year with one of my bands, and then I hope to start a Metal band here locally and hopefully we will start playing larger venues in the future.

But I will also need something that can sound good in a bedroom, I have a fairly larger bedroom and turn it up fairly loud (bout 3.5 on the Line 6) and not get complaints.

I want to get a Peavey tube amp, most likely a 5150 for the type of music I play to or make, but I'm trying to decide whether I want the 2x12 combo, 2x12 stack, or 4x12 stack. As about 60-70% of my playing will be in my bedroom, I doubt a 4x12 stack would be ideal . I'm just wondering what would better suit me, the stack or combo version of the 2x12 Peavey 5150.

Also, would there be any sound/tone difference between the stack/combo 2x12?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Krank Rev Jr Stack 2X12 would suffice

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I wouldn't think there would be much difference between the two, but at least with the head, you'd have the option to upgrade to a 4x12 cab should you need one for a gig.
I had a halfstack and I was in your situation and I downgraded to a Kustom Coupe 36. I love it and if you mic it, it works well at live shows.
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
If you mic your amp, which i think you should personally, a combo would be ok. Or maybe the 2x12 stack.
from my experience, combos don't seem to really cut it for me in a live situation so for gigging I would say Half stacks are the way to go.... also they are great penis extensions and make you attractive to the opposite sex... lol
[
Quote by qotsa1998
If you mic your amp, which i think you should personally, a combo would be ok. Or maybe the 2x12 stack.

When I play live, the amp will be miced, the Line 6 has been miced every time I've played live.

Forget to say....if you start doing a few gigs you may end up in venues where they won't mic you, (crap venue, not enuff kit, don't know what they're doing etc) ypu may need to rely on the backline unless you're taking all the kit you might need to every gig you play....
[
Quote by Skuzzmo
Forget to say....if you start doing a few gigs you may end up in venues where they won't mic you, (crap venue, not enuff kit, don't know what they're doing etc) ypu may need to rely on the backline unless you're taking all the kit you might need to every gig you play....

I cant myself doing large venues for a while, so I'm not too concerned about having just MASSIVE volume.

If they do not have mics and I am unable to get my hands on mics in those situations, would a 2x12 combo (keep in my it is 60 tube watts) be enough?

Also, would a 212/412 be overdoing it for bedroom use?

It's the small venues I find have the less kit...the bigger the venues the better the resourses.

I would have a stab that a 60 watt would be ok for a small venue....

2x12 in a bedroom.... I dunno.

4x12 in a bedroom.... tried it in my house once and you can't turn it up enough to drive the head so ends up sounding lame and doing the stack an injustice.... stacks for live or rehearsals only...in my opinion.
[
Quote by Skuzzmo
It's the small venues I find have the less kit...the bigger the venues the better the resourses.

4x12 in a bedroom.... tried it in my house once and you can't turn it up enough to drive the head so ends up sounding lame and doing the stack an injustice.... stacks for live or rehearsals only...in my opinion.

Ok, I will count the 4x12 out since most of my playing IS in my bedroom, but I do have band practice once a week and then there will be the occasional live shows, all of which have had mics.

So you think that the combo would be good for small venues, especially if miced?

Also, how much of a sound difference will there be since they are both using 2x12's? I understand that the routing is different, but how much of a volume difference would/will there be?

Last edited by Metalcoresoul at May 9, 2008,
Quote by Skuzzmo

I find my 6262 with 120 tube watts is just about fine for a bedroom. Especially if you're looking for hearing loss or want to watch the lone spider that has called your bedroom home run up the wall in circles, have a siezure, and die upsidedown after taking quite a fall. It was VERY FUNNY actually...Come to find out, spriders hate noise. Which is odd that Line 6 calls it's crappiest line of amps Spriders...hmmm...