Hey Guys,

I've been getting into blues a lot more, and was at my guitar shop and saw this beauty. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything bad about it. Is it any better than a MIM Strat? Is it worth saving up and getting an American Strat?

Thanks for your help.
Quote by Ehosteda
Hey Guys,

I've been getting into blues a lot more, and was at my guitar shop and saw this beauty. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything bad about it. Is it any better than a MIM Strat? Is it worth saving up and getting an American Strat?

Thanks for your help.

It's definitely better than a MIM Strat and would probably be on par (at least to me since these things are subjective) to an American Strat. Are they selling it cheaper at your guitar store? If they are I'd say try it and if you like it definitely get it.
Good question, I'm considering buying Koa Telecaster. I beg for opinions.
Quote by Wakisazhi
It's definitely better than a MIM Strat and would probably be on par (at least to me since these things are subjective) to an American Strat. Are they selling it cheaper at your guitar store? If they are I'd say try it and if you like it definitely get it.

Its the same price as it is online. I played it, not hooked up to an amp, but it really felt nice. I'm just not sure if its priced a little high because it looks really amazing in person.
Stupidly overpriced. It's just a Koa Veneer on a basswood body, it won't sound like a strat and you're paying for cosmetics that do sod all to the sound.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Stupidly overpriced. It's just a Koa Veneer on a basswood body, it won't sound like a strat and you're paying for cosmetics that do sod all to the sound.

And you would know how now? *FACEPALM*
Last edited by Wakisazhi at May 9, 2008,
* Special Edition Koa Stratocaster
* Alder body with koa top
* Birdseye maple neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* 22 medium-jumbo frets
* Pearl dot inlays
* Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro Staggered pickups
* Satin-finish C-profile neck
* Pearloid pickguard

So, not entirely koa, but not quite veneer on basswood.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
^Plus not to mention:

- Birdseye Maple Neck
- Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups
- 22 Frets

With those features alone I'd say it's a pretty decent bargain.
Quote by Wakisazhi
And you would know how now? *FACEPALM*

Quote by Wulver
* Special Edition Koa Stratocaster
* Alder body with koa top
* Birdseye maple neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* 22 medium-jumbo frets
* Pearl dot inlays
* Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro Staggered pickups
* Satin-finish C-profile neck
* Pearloid pickguard

So, not entirely koa, but not quite veneer on basswood.

Hmmm... I couldn've sworn it was a basswood body.

Maybe they changed it? I'll have to do some digging.

EDIT:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0265106537

http://www.dvguitars.com/invt/40967/

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0265106537.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Koa+Stratocaster/10/1

It is basswood. Musiciansfriend got it wrong.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at May 9, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix

The koa part then sounds like a rip-off but it being basswood still isn't bad since it could be an ok-quality slab instead of the bad-quality used on starter guitars (hell some MIM strats used to be made out of poplar which gets just as many mixed-reviews).
How much different is Basswood compared to Ash? Would it just be worth it to get a MIM strat?
Well, MIM Strats are commonly made of alder, not ash.

But, I dunno. Basswood is considered to be rather neutral sounding, correct? It wouldn't be a bad choice, by any stretch.....the pickups and hardware are probably of a somewhat higher quality as well.....and if you like the Koa, there's no reason not to get it....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Well, MIM Strats are commonly made of alder, not ash.

But, I dunno. Basswood is considered to be rather neutral sounding, correct? It wouldn't be a bad choice, by any stretch.....the pickups and hardware are probably of a somewhat higher quality as well.....and if you like the Koa, there's no reason not to get it....

Alright, when I get the money soon I think I might pick it up. It plays really nicely. Thanks for all of your help guys!
Hope you enjoy it.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay