Just got a new SG, beautiful thing. Unfortunately the G string is muting itself when I play from the 12th to 14th fret, rings for a bout 2 - 3 seconds before dying. I asked the shop to set it up with 12's for a drop C tuning but left the guitar with a problem on this string. Now, I'm not great technically with a guitar but I've tried raising the bridge without any joy, I'm guessing now the problem will lie with a truss rod adjustment or possibly a fret dressing?

Bit peed off about it really. Any ideas?
i would also think truss rod or frets if a good set up or bridge adjustment didnt work
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Very Bread
Just got a new SG, beautiful thing. Unfortunately the G string is muting itself when I play from the 12th to 14th fret, rings for a bout 2 - 3 seconds before dying. I asked the shop to set it up with 12's for a drop C tuning but left the guitar with a problem on this string. Now, I'm not great technically with a guitar but I've tried raising the bridge without any joy, I'm guessing now the problem will lie with a truss rod adjustment or possibly a fret dressing?

Bit peed off about it really. Any ideas?

TBH, it'll be better/safer to take it back to the shop if you're less than familiar with truss rod adjustments ... you can potentially screw the neck.

Ask the most experienced in the shop to do it right, this time.