I need some help; I want to compose an instrumental piece for my mom for mothers day. I am not sure how to start writing music but I've been playing for two years now and it'd be nice if someone could help me. I don't know any theory except for some scales and chords.
Thanks again.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
Hum a melody to this chord progression:

D A Bm G D A G Gm D A Bm G D A G Gdim7

Play it slowly.

I'll teach you theory later.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at May 9, 2008,
^ someone ate a big bowl of smartass for breakfast didn't they

try the link in BGC's sig to get started. btw, 2 days beforehand is not the time to decide you want to learn how to AND compose something.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Hum a melody to this chord progression:

D A Bm G D A G Gm D A Bm G D A G Gdim7

Play it slowly.

That sounds an awful lot like a song called "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You". At least the way I played it.
Stick a capo on the second fret and play it in E, then. The first four chords are a pretty common progression, and the Gm and Gdim7 chords are somewhat common ways to get back to D.

Quote by z4twenny
^ someone ate a big bowl of smartass for breakfast didn't they
Cheerios and Raisin Bran, actually.
2 words...

MUSIC THEORY!

BUT! Don't worry... you're not the only one who doesn't know/understand music theory.

I understand SOME of it, I'm just too lazy to read a bunch of stuff at 1:30 in the morning.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

can anyone help teach me theory?
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
Quote by Gorre

That's best left for a face to face encounter. I suggest either getting a teacher or reading online tutorials if you think you're smart enough.

Or both.

It's not exactly 1, 2, 3, and BOOM - you know theory.
Quote by Gorre
Yes. Me.

Slowly go through the link in my sig. Read it several times. When something is unclear, reread it and try to find the answer. Ask yourself what you don't get and try to find the answer. Read it as if you're reading an advanced science or math textbook.

And then ask me questions, but do try to figure some things out on your own. Of course, even if you think you've got something, have me confirm it. I just want you to read intensely so you absorb as much as possible.

One note: the circle of fifths is backwards.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I fuckin love you lol.

...not in that way! keep dreamin
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥