Yes i am looking for a 5-30 watt but preferably lower watts, and i am selling my amp for $450 my beloved Peavy Classic 50 to this guy. Reason, its because its too big, too loud (i don't gig, it only go to .5 from 12 volume) and my style/tastse just recently change. For my new style/tastse that i play needs more gain, all the way to metal to like Pantera stuff and high gain Metallica. Though i must admit i like to keep my clean because i have a thing for funk and some random clean chords. So need a good amp with that can go clean to metal and all the stuff in between, i don't think i will be gigging soon and playing with a band (just my cousin) and it will be a bedroom amp so 5 watt is enough, i did have a 15 watt amp which was still too loud for me (palomino v16, which was return because not enough gain).

My budget is around $500 (willing to go higher).

Thank you in advance!!!

If there is a better amp that is not 5-30 watt, well i think i will go no more than 30 watts... I would like it to be 1x12 too because i don't want to carry a 2x12 around, but i will reconsider if the tone is great

EDIT: reposted because of broad question
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
A lot of people wouldn't agree with me but, check out line 6. I prefer them to most others because well, I haven't had a problem with them and I like the tone I have. I have the 30 watt spider III.
I hate people. Especially black people.
Ceriatone 18 watt?
The little valve king?
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by prunejuiceman74
A lot of people wouldn't agree with me but, check out line 6. I prefer them to most others because well, I haven't had a problem with them and I like the tone I have. I have the 30 watt spider III.

*faceinhands*

Wow, my first spider bash. I feel so ashamed.
None of the suggest are not my taste, more gain. I don't like the VK's gain it weak, weak!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
^as i said i am willing to go all the way to 30 watts.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Well, then what's the point? A 30 watt tube amp is not going to be significantly quieter than a 50 watt tube amp.

And there aren't really that many tube amps voiced for metal, that I know of, that are less than 50 watts, really.

At your budget, I would look at the Randall RG50TC. 50 watts. It'll do metal, and it has goo cleans.
The Valveking's gain is not weak. It climbs almost as fast as the volume knob. And that is with the bright boost off. Turn that on and it screams. The VK112 has a lot of parameters you can tweak.

The Randall50 is a good choice too.

And I agree 30, 50, 40 - they're all going to be about the same as there are other things within your control to shape tone. Now 15 to 50- that is a jump. 5 to 30 - that is a jump.

for what my opinion is worth;
I think i will just get a palomino v8, or crate v series combine with my GT-8 i can probably reach metal, and brootalz
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by angeldef
I think i will just get a palomino v8, or crate v series combine with my GT-8 i can probably reach metal, and brootalz

Also not a bad idea. It might be worth it to grab a small tube amp with an effects loop (Doesn't the Mini-Colossal have that?) and use the GT-8 to go straight into the power amp, so you use it as a preamp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're not going to find an affordable 5 watt tube amp that has a lot of gain. Those amps are more voiced for classic rock kind of gain purposes.

You'll have to go boutique, if you want tube....Maybe a Cornford Carrera? Don't really know much about the boutique world of amps.

Why is it that the lower the watt the lower the gain the amp have? Is this even right? I am i know it doesn't depend of the watt for it to be high distortion (watt is watt, its just a power rating), it has something to do with the electronics, right? So why?
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
You could just pull a pair of the power tubes, and switch the impedance on the C50 if you wanted to reduce the wattage.
I did it to mine, and it really brought a new dimension to my amp. Has a much voxier flavor to it.

But, it still doesn't really get metallica or pantera on it's own.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^I would try that but, the problem then would be the gain which you mention. So the amp is kind of full problem *for me* because of my recent change of style/taste in music. But the amp is awesome for what it is mean to be use for, better than those overly price HotRods!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Alright, just make sure that you want to get rid of it, and that your tastes in music won't change back.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by angeldef
Why is it that the lower the watt the lower the gain the amp have? Is this even right? I am i know it doesn't depend of the watt for it to be high distortion (watt is watt, its just a power rating), it has something to do with the electronics, right? So why?

High gain tones ideally need a certain amount of volume and larger speakers to sound good , also high gain tube amps have more components and therefore tend to be physically larger.

Maybe save a bit more ans stump up for a Krank Rev Jr?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yeah, i think i will go 5 watt then save for a Mark IV --> dream amp
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Orange Tiny Terror? 15/7 watt switchable and it does metal. Not sure how much it is in the USA but over here it is £298 for the head - the combo is coming out soon but im not sure how much it'll be.

It's over your budget but it does metal really well.
Quote by alexlemon2
Orange Tiny Terror? 15/7 watt switchable and it does metal. Not sure how much it is in the USA but over here it is £298 for the head - the combo is coming out soon but im not sure how much it'll be.

It's over your budget but it does metal really well.

I don't think the Tiny Terror does metal that well. It's another small tube amp that's really voiced for classic rock and hard rock...
No but it will darken is tone a bit. He'll still need a pedal. i just can't imagine selling a peavey classic 50. Those are pretty sweet amps.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
No but it will darken is tone a bit. He'll still need a pedal. i just can't imagine selling a peavey classic 50. Those are pretty sweet amps.

True they are sweet but not for me, not for a bedroom guy :p

I will just get a crate palomino v8 or v series which ever is availabe for $100

But for my dream amp Mark IV compare to the Peavey Classic 50, the C50 is nothing. I will save up for it. Specially for my style of music that just change, which consist of more gain.

By the way just sold the amp couple of minute ago for $450 pretty good deal considering i bought it for $400. Made a little profit. So not just need to save that money for a Mesa Mark IV...ohh the cleans, ohh the crunch, and ohh the brOOtalz!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
I know that the C50 is considered a budget amp, but it stands up to my 3 grand CBB pretty well. With a BBE sonic stomp in the loop, it's one of the best blues/rock amps you can get without spending 2 grand.

No! You sold it!
You...grrr

lol, just kidding. Good luck on the Mark IV! That looks like a sweet amp, although it's really not my style.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Hey man, for a bedroom amp i seriously do not recommend the palomino v8. See the funny thing is is that its a low wattage so you'd think it would be good for bedroom playing, but the truth is that it sounds pretty sh!tty at low volumes. So if you'd want it to sound good with its own gain its gonna be hella loud for your ears.

I suggest getting a metal amp because they tend to have good preamp gain meaning that even tho they will prolly have a higher wattage(as most metal amps are) you will be able to play at volumes that won't wake up people at night and still have some good br00tals. I got my triple xxx used for 500, its 40 watts, and at any volume its got good gain for any type of metal, and the clean is not bad at all.
^I think it would be good with my GT-8 with it, i will just use the clean on it and plug my GT-8 to get the brOOtalz. With the master on it i can control how loud i want to go with the brOOtalz made by the GT-8. Well not the best, but good enough for my practices, though not bad either, i can say its decent to above average
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Oh ok, well i don't kno how good the GT-8 is since i haven't tried it but if you like it then I guess its a good decision. And if you do get the v8 just make sure the volume is always on 10.