Title says it all.

I'm getting really frustrated now. I have to strictly resort to learning new stuff from instructional vids on youtube or watching somebody play. I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding tabs. My buddy tried to explain it but idk that was confusing too lol.

Let's take a look at a tab for Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold. Not that this is what I'm trying to jump into just an example.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/avenged_sevenfold/afterlife_ver6_tab.htm

not understanding 14s12 and other sequences like that and why they are placed where they are on the guitar. I know for which string but why are there different sequences on the same string but further down (higher note) on the "neck"? I know I'm not supposed to play all of those "sequences" at once.

Help?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
14s12 means u slide from the 14th fret to the 12th fret on the string it says so, possibly more

EDIT: i suggest music lessons
ESP LTD AX-50
BOSS MT-2
Line6 Spider lll

Commanda of the esp4lyfe club. PM me or Snuffles to join

Member of the Anti-Ibanez Militia
PM Verminitude to join.
Those 14-12 sequences are just octave power chords. You play them at the same time but mute the string in between.

Seriously man, tabs are the ****ing easiest. I cant really comprehend how you cant read them. # on line=fret on that string
Get a tab program. ****. That way if you don't understand something, at least you can hear the notes. Guitar Pro or Power Tab.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Dimebag06Darrel
Get a tab program. ****. That way if you don't understand something, at least you can hear the notes. Guitar Pro or Power Tab.

Any reccomendations on programs?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by rhettro
As previously mentioned, Guitar Pro is good. You can download a free trial version from www.guitar-pro.com.

sounds good.

Any free ones though? Got to pay like 50$ for that.

Power tab?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
sounds good.

Any free ones though? Got to pay like 50$ for that.

Power tab?

You can get a guitar pro 15 day trial free and Power tab is free

But you should BUY Guitar pro it's way better than power tab
Trust me I'm a doctor

A doctor with a mustache
Quote by mathieupM13
You can get a guitar pro 15 day trial free and Power tab is free

But you should BUY Guitar pro it's way better than power tab

whoa man, dont tempt me
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
14s12? That's incorrect tab notation. In reality, it should be 14\12, which is slide from 14 to 12.

Still, tabs are easy as hell. There's a few niggling bits you won't have explained to you in some FAQ's, I guess. Just ask on forums. Tabs are simple as hell.

Also, to all reccomending Guitar Pro? Hells yes. Guitar Pro is the sweetest peice of software I ever got reccomended to me. Pretty much a must-have for a novice player of guitar, bass or drums.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Google "Tabs Help" or something. Also, may I suggest something a bit easier to learn tabs on? Iron Man is a nice one for that. Its the one I learnt to read tab on.

+1 on guitar pro. Soooooo useful!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Okay guys, Just an update but I got power tab and now realize that I must have been extremely tired whilst trying to figure tabs out because after actually hearing the notes along with reading the tablature, I found that tabs are as everybody has said not that hard.

Thnx guys. Gonna be using power tab to get the swing of things for now.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
why would you jump into a tab like that if you dont know how to read tabs? try mary had a little lamb hahaha
Quote by Haanz
14s12? That's incorrect tab notation. In reality, it should be 14\12, which is slide from 14 to 12.

Still, tabs are easy as hell. There's a few niggling bits you won't have explained to you in some FAQ's, I guess. Just ask on forums. Tabs are simple as hell.

Also, to all reccomending Guitar Pro? Hells yes. Guitar Pro is the sweetest peice of software I ever got reccomended to me. Pretty much a must-have for a novice player of guitar, bass or drums.

It's not incorrect. S is slide. It's on a lot of tab.

That's what legends are for.

But, if you can't read tab well I wouldn't try to learn an advanced song (Well, says the person who wrote the tabs)