Ok I have a fender tele deluxe and I'm not all that pleased with the pickups. I was thinking of replacing the pickgaurd and pickups, but I realised that the problems lies with in the volume and tone pots(they are 250k while humbuckers should 500k). So I actually want to change the pots. I wonder, can I do this myself? And how? anyone knows a guide or something on this?

Thanks in advance
Fapping is considered as strumming training
Yes, you can!

Just buy some new pots, from somewhere like Guitarfetish.com as you're probably in the US, then wire them up exactly the same as the 250ks. As long as you do that, you can't fail!

Most people get LOG taper for the volume, and linear taper for the tone, but it's down to preference really.
Quote by Tsen
I wonder, can I do this myself? And how?
Maybe. How handy are you? How careful? Have you ever soldered before?

If you've never soldered, learning on your guitar is a terrible place to practice.
I don't recommend that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Maybe. How handy are you? How careful? Have you ever soldered before?

If you've never soldered, learning on your guitar is a terrible place to practice.
I don't recommend that.

Well yeah I know how to solder things, soldered thinkgs before, just not in a guitar and I'm quite technical

It's just I dont know anything about pots. But I think I could manage well if I solder them like the 250k pots as said before.

But what kind of pots should I buy? would they fit as long they are 500k?
Fapping is considered as strumming training
If it's a Fender, I'd pay the extra dough and get CTS brand. If it's a copy, Alpha is good enough and a bit cheaper. Split shaft, normal length same as a Stratocaster. The '72 Deluxe pots aren't the same as other Tele's. Those have a solid shaft.

As long as the bushings are standard 3/8" they'll fit.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Since the Tele's control plate is fairly thin,
This is more like a Strat than a tele. Plastic pickguard. And the wiring is similar to a LP. 2 volume, 2 tone.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at May 9, 2008,
I don't think the 250k pots are TOO much different than the 500k. It most likely will help, but I doubt its going to solve all your problems.