I guess its a stupid question but i always here very different opinions on them. Like some ppl love them but others say they suck.
theyre great if you are low on cash and want the closest thing to a gibson, otherwise save up and get a gibson
I love my epiphone Les Paul 100 which is only $250 Cdn but i've had a couple realy slight problems with it but not big enough to even pay to have fixed. sounds great for the price
oftentimes their higher end models can easily compete with lower-end gibsons
for some reason, though, the input jack seems to unscrew and fall in the body on several models...
Quote by Guitarwoody7
theyre great if you are low on cash and want the closest thing to a gibson, otherwise save up and get a gibson

Actually I'd say if you want a decent Gibson style guitar you should probably go with either a high-end Epiphone or a different brand; Gibsons are waaaaaaaay overpriced and the QC has gone downhill quite a bit in recent years.

TS: As has already been said, as long as you get one of the better ones (G-400, Les Paul Custom or Ultra) you should get a good guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I own a Les Paul Custom, it's awesome. But I did have to replace some parts. The Pickups and the Tuner Heads. But yeah the only reasons why I replaced them was because the pickups started to fade from gold to silver and it didn't match the rest if the beautiful guitar. I got some sick EMGs. The G string's tuner was loose so I got some Klusons. It's beautiful. Get a Zakk Wylde Custom Paul, or just a Custom Paul. Beware of fading.
my first guitar was an epiphone... and it was actually pretty good. the only problem was that stupid input jack falling inside of it. and I spent my entire band practice trying to get it out.
Epiphones are great, i have a les paul standard with a flamed top, and its a beauty. It plays and sounds great too, and it stays in tune well. I've never had any notable problems with it (other than one that was my fault), and the price was great for the quality.
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
I own an Epiphone LP Standard and I love it. I always choose this ax over my Prestige unless I'm playing something that requires the extra frets/tremelo or a thin neck. It's a great middle of the road guitar for any serious player. I of course plan to get a Gibson at some point, once I come across the right price for a nice older model, I will switch. Until then, I'll be playing this LP

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
i just traded in my Epiphone for an Ibanez today, for the couple of months that i've had it, it sounded great, played great, but i just needed a seven string and had no monies.
:[
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
not every single guitar is the same. like if you pick up an epiphone les paul standard, and you compare it to another les paul standard right next to it you could probably notice a difference. or it might be basically the same. so if you get a good one, then yeah its good. haha
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Depends. The higher end are good and pretty cheap. And their hollowbody guitars are great. If youre going to go for an epi LP go for a standard or better
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
The really cheap ones usually aren't great (G-310) but other than that they have great guitars for the price.
Quote by Scion
Epiphones are great, i have a les paul standard with a flamed top, and its a beauty. It plays and sounds great too, and it stays in tune well. I've never had any notable problems with it (other than one that was my fault), and the price was great for the quality.

ah man, what a great saying in your signature

anyway, hope Epis are great, i plan to get a LP Standard Plus top.. Honey Burst like this...

Last edited by nauc at May 10, 2008,
the low end is. really low end.

but the mid range stuff is decent and usually makes a good workhorse guitar (jam and maybe recording)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
^ well best is actually elitist...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
yeah
my g-400 is spectacular and i'd say generally the midrange is good to great
not as great as gibson's but still pretty good
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Quote by nauc
ah man, what a great saying in your signature

anyway, hope Epis are great, i plan to get a LP Standard Plus top.. Honey Burst like this...
Wow. Whenever I've seen honeyburst LPs they look more brown, but there it looks orange, like a faded Cherry burst?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ok can anyone tell me why the vintage g400 is $50 cheaper than the regular version? Also is the 3rd pup on the custom useless like a lot of ppl say?
May I recommend the Epi '56 LP Gold Top? The ones that they build now are equipped with P-90 Single coils, though there are some from past years which have humbuckers (like mine - '02 model).
I absolutely recommend them. The pickups are made by Gibson and sound FAR better than Stock Epi-pickups.
Than, there's better wood: The '56 LP's body resonates way better than the body of Standard or Custom LP's, this adds some more sound quality. It's not like the wood on those guitars is bad. The wood on the '56 is just better. It's a lot heavier though.
If you take a closer look at the guitars, you'll also notice different tuners. Those on the '56 look like Gibson Green Key's, which looks a little more classy (at least to me). They feel a lot more sturdy and firm than the tuners on other Epi's as well.

All in all, it's a great guitar, though it costs more than the Standard guitars. Back when I bought mine, a Standard was priced at 400€, while mine was 600€. It was worth every cent though. It blows every Standard and Custom LP out of the Water.

Just thought you might want to take a look at it.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 10, 2008,
Had a standard LP and LOVED it! had antiquity humbuckers in and man it had amazing sound. took the pick ups out when i sold it though, just in case I feel like going back. Which I will when I have the cash.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by MrFlibble
Wow. Whenever I've seen honeyburst LPs they look more brown, but there it looks orange, like a faded Cherry burst?

those pics came from the LP forum, the poster said its Honey

but who really knows
Does agile make an sg? Really i dont want a les paul. I like them but everyone has them. Besides i just like the sg style better.
I've got an epi Les Paul custom and i love it. As I understand, although I'm not perfectly sure, an Epiphone is exactly like a Gibson except Gibsons are hand-made. Personally, if it was true, I'd prefer the machine made one. Just me. But the nice thing about Epiphones is that they're quality, you don't constantly hear problems or complaints and that they are versatile and can be modified. I snapped EMG's into my LP and it's a shredder. But even better, they're great for the price. Couple hundred and they last years. They're a workhorse, for sure.
The Gear:
Fender Frontman 25R
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Ebony
^no there are more differences than that...
Quote by RetroGunslinger