I've been playing bass for two years and played with a pick for most of that time, a few months ago i got really into finger picking and it's pretty much all i do now, but i notice i have a problem with my technique, when i play fast and even slow sometimes i hear a clicking and i can't get the smooth, clean tone i want if anyone knows what i mean =\
I was wondering if anyone had tips on how i could make my picking more smooth and clean.
If it helps i have a jazz bass and usually play with my thumb rested on the bridge pickup

thankyou in advance guys
Quote by hoppusfan182
I've been playing bass for two years and played with a pick for most of that time, a few months ago i got really into finger picking and it's pretty much all i do now, but i notice i have a problem with my technique, when i play fast and even slow sometimes i hear a clicking and i can't get the smooth, clean tone i want if anyone knows what i mean =\
I was wondering if anyone had tips on how i could make my picking more smooth and clean.
If it helps i have a jazz bass and usually play with my thumb rested on the bridge pickup

thankyou in advance guys

You mean plucking right? Not actually using your finger as a pick?

Just practice alternating between your index and middle finger. (I,M,I,M,I,M, ect.)
You'll get it in time.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
You mean plucking right? Not actually using your finger as a pick?

Just practice alternating between your index and middle finger. (I,M,I,M,I,M, ect.)
You'll get it in time.

yea haha finger plucking is what I meant sorry bout that.
And thankyou I'll do that.
If you want to smoothen out your tone, try plucking when anchoring your thumb on the neck pup. Also, possibly try cutting your trebles a little bit.

Otherwise, as Woogles said, alternate your middle and index fingers and make sure you're almost stroking the strings as opposed to plucking them per se. Keep your hands loose (easier said than done when playing fast though) wherever possible.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Lighter touch! Practise isn't gonna do jack for you if you don't practise with a lighter touch. Try refraining as much as possible from thrashing on the strings and play in a lighter manner. Also consider SLIGHTLY raising the action.
Lighter touch and make sure you are plucking the strings horizontaly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1