The idiot at radishack gave me a normally off switch even after i asked him about 5 times if it was a normally on. anyways it goes without sayign that now the kill switch need to be pressed down for me to hear my custom, so my question is, can i make my normally off a normally on, without taking it out and getting a new one (i don't want to rewire it and where the switch is located i would need to basicly rewire the guitar...

if you can help thanks! if not im feeling sad...
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!
isn't it the same thing?
a switch is a switch right?

you know what I think would be awesome?
put one of those covered switches on your guitar, like the one james bond has in his car for all the cool like rockets and crap? that'd be sweet. have it for like heavy distortion and stuff. kinda like a pedal 'cept on the guitar.

how many wires are on the switch?
2 prongs or hots whatever there called,
and no its nto the same thing a normally on is turned off when it's pressed down (killswitch) a normally off is turned on when its pressed down (my one of a kind liveswitch)
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0

Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

it's possible to do it with digital logic, but i doubt it's possible without mashing your sound

either way, you still need to rewire

go back to radioshack and bitch at the guy who sold it to you
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
im not sure if you can do that without getting a new switch.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
alright i may just leave it like taped down the untape it for like a solo with a really unique sound with notes jsut starting out of nowhere it could have kindof a cool ecploding sound if you get ehat i mean as for a new switch maybe.
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0

Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

if you want a killswitch you can just use the pickup selector switch if you have active p/ups with 2 vol controls.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
well, whatever makes it unique lol
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
meh or you can save 3 bucks and get the right switch... although I know thats like 3 wasted bucks... but that would annoy the piss outa me personally hah
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
id say you're entitled to a refund if the guy sold you the wrong switch. where is it wired and on what guitar? it should be fairly simple to wire a new one in its place, unless you did something crazy to wire it in the first place.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
if you want a killswitch you can just use the pickup selector switch if you have active p/ups with 2 vol controls.

you dont need active pickups to do that, anything with a 3 way selector and 2 volume knobs will work.

as for TS, sorry no real way to fix it, i had a similar problem, i tired to take it apart, but it didnt really work. just get a new one, thats really the best option, use the old one to make a telegraph!
Sounds like you bought a normally on, or normally closed, switch. If so, when you're not pressing the switch, you will get no signal. The reason is that the switch is intended to short the signal to ground, thereby killing the output. If you got a normally off, or normally open switch, it will act the way you expect.

It's a kill switch. "On" means you're killing the signal. "Off" means you're not killing the signal. Get it?
If it's normally off, then that means that when not depressed it is open and when depressed it's closed, right?

I'm assuming then that you wanted to use it in the signal path, as a very simple kind of killswitch.

The way I use mine, is to hook half the switch up to the live out of the guitar and the other prong to ground. That way, when you press it you will bleed all the signal straight to ground and kill your output. I believe this way is actually quieter, and it uses your type of switch.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
If it's normally off, then that means that when not depressed it is open and when depressed it's closed, right?

I'm assuming then that you wanted to use it in the signal path, as a very simple kind of killswitch.

The way I use mine, is to hook half the switch up to the live out of the guitar and the other prong to ground. That way, when you press it you will bleed all the signal straight to ground and kill your output. I believe this way is actually quieter, and it uses your type of switch.

This man speaks the truth.
Quote by MrCarrot

yes, it might just be that you've wired it wrong. Does it hum when it's off (in the position that gives you no sound)? Cos if it does, then it's probably wired to open the circuit to kill the sound. What you want do to instead, is have it so that when you push the switch, It'll connect the live to the ground, instead of opening the circuit. At a guess, I would say what you've done is try to wire it so that open circuit gives you off.

Like i said, you should be able to hear it humming if you have...
Quote by aaron6890
you dont need active pickups to do that, anything with a 3 way selector and 2 volume knobs will work.

as for TS, sorry no real way to fix it, i had a similar problem, i tired to take it apart, but it didnt really work. just get a new one, thats really the best option, use the old one to make a telegraph!

i know but i dont think ive ever seen a guitar with 2 vol and passive p/ups

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by mohawkkidJohn

you can do it on pretty much any gibson or gibson copy.

all you do is turn the neck pickup volume to 0.

then when you switch to the neck pickup, there's no sound.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn

Now you have.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
alright i'm getting a new button i want N.C. right?
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0

Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

Quote by mohawkkidJohn

*facepalm* ^2
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn

are u one of those gibson hater guys???

anyway, this is one of those situations where u walk into radioshack, punch the guy in the face, get ur money back, and leave
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith

anyway, this is one of those situations where u walk into radioshack, punch the guy in the face, get ur money back, and leave

Ironicly i made a bet with mky brother that if its the same guy i would do that
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0

Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

You want a N.O. switch to wire across the output jack. Did you tell the guy what you're trying to do? Tell him, "I want to short the guitar's output when I press the button." Then, if he gives you a N.C. you can punch him.

Read through the killswitch thread.
it doesnt matter which you get, just depends on how you wire it. I use a NC switch in mine.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
^
It does matter.
N.O. to kill short the signal when killed will have less hum than N.C. to break the circuit.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.