So im looking for a new marshall tube amp to play basicly hard rock like gnr, snakepit, velvet revovler, aerosmith, led zeppelin, acdc and also some classic metal. I initially wanted a jubilee but i just cant afford it, so i looked at the 2205 and the dual reverb. I'm basically looking for a two channel amp cause i use cleans regularly, and i've heard that the cleans of the 900 are better than the ones in the 800, but that the crunch and distortion from the 800 are way better. I can't try the amps cause i'm buying used and i live in south america so i cant really find any tube marshalls except from some dsl. I'm basically looking for a sound similar to the one slash had on the use your illusion albums and tour.
Which one do you think would be the better choice??
Thanks a lot
Last edited by slashfan31 at Jun 1, 2008,
You can't really go wrong with either. I had the JCM900 way back in the day. It was a good versitile amp. I've heard nothing but great things about the 800 also. Tough call. Sorry, I was no help.
i would go the 800 for sure kicks the 900's ass i mean if your playing gritty hard rock then cleans dont really have to be perfect
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

If you think you'll get better cleans from the 900, I'd suggest that, then just pick up a good overdrive pedal like a modded Ibanez TS808 or a Boss SD-1 to goose the tone for your distortion channel.
i disagree entirerly i mean some of the clean sounds slash used werent 100% clean and if your playing no bull**** rock then you dont need them to be plus just add a chorus pedal if you really want and the 800 2205 would have a heaps better resale value

and i dont think your audience will really be able to tell the difference on the cleans
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

dude seriously since when does the audience matter
you could play a mg half stack in front of 400 people (me) and they wouldn't care
a 900 or 800 half stack
they wouldn't care
ts, it all depends on wether you want cleans or not really
the 800 isn't really even ment to have cleans
and anguslashdime, c'mon, cleans are a VERY important part of you're sound, no cleans most of the time would actually get pretty dam boring
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by angusslashdime
i disagree entirerly i mean some of the clean sounds slash used werent 100% clean and if your playing no bull**** rock then you dont need them to be plus just add a chorus pedal if you really want and the 800 2205 would have a heaps better resale value

and i dont think your audience will really be able to tell the difference on the cleans

I don't think he cares what the audience thinks about his tone. And yeah like the guy above me said, who does? Tone is all about what you like. If he likes the clean tones from the 900, then so be it.
i like my new (to me) 900. if money is not an issue get the 800.
but for me i got a 900 4500 for $450USD, so that was more economical.

and the tone is still GNARLY.
one more question: if i get the 800 should i get it with el34 or 6550? and if i get the 900 el34 or 5881?
personally i'd go for the 900.
one of my friends just gets such good tone out of it.
and if you get the 800 the el34's will give you more crunch but a more sterile clean, and for the 900 same thing. keep in mind their both biased very hot so the variations in tubes will be less prominent
Well I'm going to say the JCM800 all the way. The JCM900 is far too modern sounding for those bands, the JCM900 having a kind of modern scooped mid tone for "modern" metal. The JCM800 on the other hand fits what you play perfectly.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I like the 900's better than 800s. Cleans are better. They just sound crisper to me.
I'd be all over a JCM800 2205 if I could. Go for the 800!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
800 IMO. And you shouldnt need the bells and whistles the VM offers if you're playing classic rock and early metal...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?