Poll: Slinkes, Fleas, or other?
Poll Options
View poll results: Slinkes, Fleas, or other?
Ernie Ball Slinkies
28 55%
GHS Flea Signature
3 6%
Other
20 39%
Voters: 51.
Slinkies are tried and tested. Solid, great sounding strings. EB Flea sigs... nothing. They offer nothing that other GHS strings don't, but cost more. Shameless sucker bait for RHCP fans.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I bought a set of GHS strings and actually only kept them on the bass for 5 days. Yes, I hated them that much. Before I switched to Rotos, I used EB Slinkies (Hybrid and Super).
Yeah, I'm onto Roto's now... they get to everyone in the end. I just couldn't afford to keep replacing Slinkies to retain the tone they give out. If I was somewhat better off financially, I'd give Slinkies another go, but the way Roto's fade from super bright into a nice punchy growl is rather endearing.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Speaking of strings did anyone else know that Peavey makes strings? They were in the bargain bin at my music store for 14 bucks. I figured since I'm skint (spent my last dollars on RUSH!) I had nothing to lose. My Rotosounds were starting to get a little grungy because I don't take care of my strings as well as I should.
I hadn't any idea. For $14, give them a blast and let us know how they are.
Those peavey strings sound interesting, are they a new product?

I had a set of the flea strings, they sounded O.K. but I'd rather have rotosounds.
Rotosounds are the generally accepted 'awesome' strings on these forums. The Swing 66 tp be precise.

I prefer Warwck EMP myself. I very even response that shows off the sound of the bass, while adding a touch of growl.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by kaptink
Those peavey strings sound interesting, are they a new product?

I had a set of the flea strings, they sounded O.K. but I'd rather have rotosounds.

I'm not sure if they're new or just unheard of because they're crap. Probably the latter. I know they make Cirrus strings, supposedly to go on their cirruses. These however, are just generic strings. An update on the sound: they lasted for the hour practise I had yesterday and are still bright as new. Not that that's impressive, but it's better than I thought they'd be.
Rotosound or dadario's.

But truth be told i never used anything else and based on what i read i doubt i ever will
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I love my Stadium Elites.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I love my Stadium Elites.

If nothing else, when I come across the pond in 2011, I am going to visit a music shop in London and buy a box of Elites. We can't get them here and everyone just raves about them
Quote by anarkee
If nothing else, when I come across the pond in 2011, I am going to visit a music shop in London and buy a box of Elites. We can't get them here and everyone just raves about them

It will be worth the wait though. I used to be just another Rotosound elitist but once I tried Elites they changed my mind completely!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Elites = Average, Slinkys = Better. Not sure why your strings aren't lasting..Mine sound great for weeks.
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?

I actually prefer the sound of GHS strings. Not Flea strings, as I've never tried them, but GHS strings. I prefer them in general to Ernie Balls, 'cause they last "longer", "smell" better after a long time playing, and sound better.

Just my opinion though.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I think both strings have a lot of endorsee cred, but I find neither of them to be of equal quality to many other strings. IMO EB's are just average as far as string life and tone are concerned, and GHS Flea strings are the worst I've ever played. He changes his strings daily, and I think you HAVE to.

The GHS strings really prove to me that putting a bit ol' mainstream name on the box really does help move a lesser product. I wonder how many bass players would own a Jaco signature Behringer or a Cliff Burton Xbox 360?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about GHS Boomers/Flea. I quite like their flatwounds. A bit "straightforward", but nice and grippy (not common on flats - but an aquired taste).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I haven't tried the "Flea" strings but recently I put some EB Hybrid Slinkies on my Geddy. Usually I use flats on my basses but I really like the Hybrids. They're a lighter string than what I'm used to but I like the sound and feel.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Man, I hate those Swing 66s cuz the red felt keeps unravelling on the string tree. I prefer medium gauge ROTOBASSes. I like light gauge for slapping and standard for fingerstyle so I got something in between. The yellow pack makes me happy.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
MY GHS stings are fine.
Better than my past slinkys IMO.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.