I've been playing bass for 3-4 years and I broke my first sting during the second song of our show. I was tuned to drop-d and I broke the low D. I didn't think it was physically possible, but i did it. Has this happened to anyone else?
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
I've broken my bottom string before while I was playing a song. Then again the strings were 5ish years old and I was wailing on them. The only other strings I've broken were on a school bass and put on very badly. (Note: I usually change my strings more than every 5 years)

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
I broke my D-string (the normally tuned one) once, but it was kinda weird. I think it broke because I was bending too far, but honestly, I don't remember why it broke. But a low E or D? I imagine something is wrong with your playing technique or something on your bass is cutting into your string a bit (a problem I had with my cheapo guitar).
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I'm borrowing my friend's bass currently and the strings are look two years old, I have no problems.

You broke the D string? lol, you must've been plucking really hard.
i broke my e string a long time ago when i didnt know how to tune and i didnt have a chroamtic tuner so i tried to tune up to D and it snapped and unwound real fast :O
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
don't let the thickness fool you,i broke an e string that was a 115 gauge after only 3 months,most likely coz i give em h311 playing heavy metal with a pick
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
Last edited by xxZERO320xx at May 10, 2008,
I was trying to go into D and I thought you had tune the E into D (the actual string). I tuned up and and up and it cracked. God, I felt like an asshole. Atleast I learned my lesson.
I snap strings all the time, But it's a cheap bass and I play it hard with a pick. I'd rather have it snap strings than have one of those gash bridges you normally get on cheap basses that let the strings slide all over the place and kills the tone.

Tuning up and down from drop D (or any other tuning) all the time will weaken your E string.
If you are consitantly snapping strings, look at where they snap. If thy kep going at the bridge or nut, you probably have a sharp edge on it, that is cutting through the strings.

Strings should not snap with proper technique.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have broken a 105 gauge string before. My attack was very aggressive before, and the strings would always slacken a lot when in a flimsy soft case. In my experience, having a near constant tension on the string increases string life.
Quote by gm jack
If you are consitantly snapping strings, look at where they snap. If thy kep going at the bridge or nut, you probably have a sharp edge on it, that is cutting through the strings.

Strings should not snap with proper technique.

yeah, it's always at the bridge, I think some of the saddles end in a little bit of a burr, It's an ancient bass, I don't have it on me to check, but i might consider sorting it next time they go.
A good bassist will break a lot of strings!

I've broken off the E before and plucked out the G. No worries. If it happens a lot, then something is wrong with the guitar parts.

A good bassist will break no strings. There should be no reason for you to break a string. The only reasons are 1) you're playing with poor technique or 2) there's something wrong with the bass.
Is it true that a bass string can gash your hand when it breaks? A guy I knew claimed that happened to him, but I found it kinda hard to believe.....
I've broken tons of strings...on my whamola.

Stretching them plus beating them with a drum stick for long periods of time does not end well.
first string i broke was one on the school bass, it was like 20 years old though.. so yea..
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
only time I broke a string actually playing I thought it would be funny to use a pocketknife as a pick during a jam...
hit the string wrong.

the tone was sorta cool though...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by souperman08
Is it true that a bass string can gash your hand when it breaks? A guy I knew claimed that happened to him, but I found it kinda hard to believe.....

Myth. The force required to even unravel a string (that's what happens when a string breaks by the way, they don't snap, they unravel from around the core) is pretty big, never mind straight out snap one. It wouldn't happen, but I suppose if you played with a pocket knife (retard) and cut the string there'd be a potential there to slice you up pretty bad, yeah.
There is no need to be overly aggressive. Just turn the amp up another notch.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
nah my bass strings have never broken either i think there must of been something wrong with your strings.
nothing.
Quote by fleaflicker182
I say if you're not snapping strings then you're not doing it right.

Why not play aggressive licks and lines instead of try to "look" cool and aggressive? Y'know, like the pros?

But besides, what strings are you using? I play as hard as I possibly can without being an idiot and making the strings go sharp and choke out and I've never, ever broken a string while playing. Are you using 6-year-old $10 strings?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The only excusable explainations are a bad set of strings and a sharp point on the bridge or nut.

Good technique should not stress the strings enough for them to break.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have never broken a string. Ever.

I've changed strings once in my entire bassing career.
The.
I snapped me E string at the bridge a long long time ago. i think it just finally had enough of me
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I've broken a few E-strings. I use a fairly heavy gauge and at times pluck hard near the bridge. If the string is older, it will come right apart as I play.
I've seen quite a few good bass players break strings. It happens a lot less than for guitarists - though I know some who swear they've never broke a string - but it can happen regardless of your technique.
Quote by Micah_Bass22
i broke my e string a long time ago when i didnt know how to tune and i didnt have a chroamtic tuner so i tried to tune up to D and it snapped and unwound real fast :O

Me too. Saddest day of my life, damn elixirs. Had to buy a whole new set.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
not really
but a friend broke my g string just by touching it
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400