Does comcast really slow down your connection speed if you use torrents? I don't want to risk it if they do, because I'll be pissed if i cant play xbox live.
Listen to CKY.
Quote by cky_rocks
Does comcast really slow down your connection speed if you use torrents? I don't want to risk it if they do, because I'll be pissed if i cant play xbox live.

There has been something in the media recently discussed called Internet Neutrality. This 'Internet Neutrality' is in place so that traffic from one source (ie a torrent connection), and another (ie a website), get the same amount of bandwidth, regardless of the use. Typically, a torrent uses more bandwidth as it a constant stream of data, whereas browsing is short bursts, and so uses less.

The argument for this Net Neutrality is the fact that legitimate services, such as the BBCs iPlayer, use the same type of connection to stream video as a torrent program uses to download.

Basically, there has been a lot of dispute about whether there should be this shaping of traffic, due to the extra costs to ISPs for running the extra bandwidth generated. I can't say for sure if Comcast implement it, I'm not sure if it's even legal the US.

This post may not be useful to you, but I hope it explains why they would do this.

Edit: Here is the most recent article I found regarding this matter. Link
Quote by cky_rocks
because I'll be pissed if i cant play xbox live.

Well, your connection slows down while downloading torrents regardless of your ISP but yes, Comcast is widely known for throttling their high-bandwith users.
Quote by happytimeharry
Well, your connection slows down while downloading torrents regardless of your ISP but yes, Comcast is widely known for throttling their high-bandwith users.

However, if you have a fast connection (say actaully8mb/s), the likelyhood of a torrent to use up that much bandwidth that it makes the latency of your game increase to an unplayable level, is not massive.

Typically, an online game only really needs a solid 512k connection to run online if your are relatively near the servers.
well actually, im just asking if its a permanant slow down, or just if they just do it while your using a torrent.
Listen to CKY.
Quote by cky_rocks
well actually, im just asking if its a permanant slow down, or just if they just do it while your using a torrent.

They might slow torrent traffic down in peak times, say 6-11pm or something like that.

Edit: Also check if you have a fair usage policy. It may have other shaping clauses in your contract.
I have no idea what that is. So its just the torrent connection they slow down, not your overall connection?
Listen to CKY.
It's my guess that they probably slow down your connection if you end up being in the higher tier of bandwith users. Once you drop down, they remove the speed reduction.
most torrent don't dl at about more than like 20-30 unless theres like a massive amount of seeds...the only thing i could see it hurting you on the gaming is the upload, which is usually way slower than your dl speed...regardless set your upload limit at 3 kb/s then you shouldn't have any problems....
Quote by leonardo.kornuto
You're pretty

ty