Hey everyone. I'm looking for a vintage old school '80s death/thrash metal tone. Some of my favorite bands are Death, Megadeth, Metallica, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Celtic Frost, Testament, Exodus, etc. Right now I'm using a Randall RX120 (it's a solid state half stack) and I'm looking to upgrade to a tube amp head.

What are some good OLD SCHOOL amps that my favorite bands used? Also, didn't lots of them boost their amps with tubescreamers? What was that really famous tubescreamer that so many of them used back then? Thanks!
randall solid states were used by some 80s bands. The rest used marshall JCMs and Boogie Marks or Rectos. The TS9 is the OD some dudes used. Also, important to say is that many 80s guitarrists used ADA-MP1 Preamps (search on e-bay. They are cheap and easy to find)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by kirkhammett09
really, metal bands use vox amps? also were randalls popular in the 80's as far as metal?

I play Bodom songs through a Vox.I'm not saying they definatly did,i'm saying they may have.
Quote by ldnovelo
randall solid states were used by some 80s bands. The rest used marshall JCMs and Boogie Marks or Rectos. The TS9 is the OD some dudes used. Also, important to say is that many 80s guitarrists used ADA-MP1 Preamps (search on e-bay. They are cheap and easy to find)

Rectifiers werent released until the 1990's, so a more accurate base especially for old school Florida death metal (Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Cynic and what not) would be Marshall JCM800 heads or combos with pedals.
Quote by Back in Red
Most of those bands aren't death metal bands...

Morbid Angel, Death, and Celtic Frost?
Death metal legends =/= death metal?
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
i wouldnt consider Celtic Frost death metal, not really.
i play Death with my TonePort and my Cube. you dont absolutely need old school amps, i'm just saying.

but yeah, most of them used Marshall's, and probably Randalls.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.