I'm starting to build my lil home studio up so I can record my band myself as opposed to going to a studio. I was hoping you guys could offer some advice or suggestions on some things you think I should get or could do differently.

Rack Setup:
Furman Power Conditioner
Rocktron Hush IICX Noise Reduction
Presonus Firepod
Behringer Headphone Amp HA4700
Antares Vocal Producer AVP-1

Macbook 2ghz core due 2 gigs ram
- when the new macbooks are released next month, I'm going to get one and upgrade to 4 gigs ram

Logic Pro 8
- I have an iControl that I use with this too which is a nice little convenient piece of equipment, though in no way necessary

Mics:
Audix i5
(2) MXL990
(2) MXL991
shock mount and pop filter
Kick drum mic (don't have it with me so I don't remember the model or brand)

ART TubeMP Preamp
Whirlwind IMP 2 DI Box
Firebox (which I'm trying to sell or trade)

Any recommendations you could make for my set up? I was thinking about getting a compressor gate rack unit, but I think I may just use the one in Logic, plus my Antares has one in it too.

Recommend rack units, mics, plug-in's, and anything else you can think of. I'm not a broke bastard, but I'm not going top end on this stuff because it's just for personal use. I want to get a professional sound, but for the most part, it's for personal use.
If you're just recording a typical 4 piece rock band, you're pretty much off and running. You have the mics and whatnot necessary to record guitars, vocals, and bass. I'd look into a few more dynamics to use for micing drums if you plan to, a couple of Sm57s and maybe another i5 will give you enough options for close micing.

You don't really need an outboard compress/gate unless you plan to run it inline with your guitars and whatnot before micing. Recording to digital you can get a clean enough take on vocals with enough headroom to avoid transient clipping, and then use compressors in your DAW.
Yeah, were a 5 piece, but still the same. My plan for the drums is to use the i5 for the snare, the bass mic for the kick, and then have 2 over head mics. I don't like the sm57. Compared to the i5, the i5 blows it out of the water.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to use the compressor in Logic Pro and on my AVP-1 instead of getting a separate rack.

Any other rack mounts or anything you think that would go well in that unit? Maybe a reverb one or something.
Unless you have cash to spend in excess rack units won't have any advantage other than looking cool.
Gotcha.

How about that drum mic set up? You think that'll do a decent job? I'm going to be running the snare through my AVP to get to "pop" even more and have more control over it.

Those rack units do look sweet though. I think I have all I need though...for now.
You can certaintly get great drum sounds from that many mics, hell, you can get great drum sounds running a pair of ribbons M-S 12 feet in front of the kit but thats not the point. I'd like to have enough mics to know I was able to stick on one a tom or hat or cowbell etc just in case though.
i here people rave about those art preamps after you change the tube out. if i remember right, there 12AX7s right? get a NOS if you dont mind spending the money, if not, just try a JJ or EHX for a pretty standard sound.
Well, my Firepod has a built in preamp so I've just been using that via the send and return in/outputs in the back. Another preamp isn't high on the list right now.
Quote by Yontsey
Well, my Firepod has a built in preamp so I've just been using that via the send and return in/outputs in the back. Another preamp isn't high on the list right now.

duh, i didnt even think about that haha.
well, a new JJ preamp tube is only like 17 bucks so might as well look into it.

you pretty much have the setup that i would have if i had the funds. it should do you well. you can never have too many mics though.
Yeah, agreed. I get a good deal on mics from guitar center. I wouldn't mind upgrading and perhaps getting a better vocal condensor mic or maybe some more mic's for drums. The thing with drums though are that I'm not going to be micing a lot.

I figure after I do my band, I may do a couple friends, but mainly itll be for my own use as an acoustic project and doing full band tracks with drums through Reason once I can get that running, wink wink.
reason is great. i can barely use it though, it just too confusing for me. all i know how to do is play guitar haha
Quote by chea_man
reason is great. i can barely use it though, it just too confusing for me. all i know how to do is play guitar haha

I got it mainly to do drum tracks for demo's.
Quote by Yontsey

Rack Setup:
Furman Power Conditioner
Rocktron Hush IICX Noise Reduction
Presonus Firepod
Behringer Headphone Amp HA4700
Antares Vocal Producer AVP-1

Good to see someone who's thinking ahead with monitoring and power conditioners. To be honest, you could swap the AVP for a Melodyne plugin if you want to save money, and since you'll be properly grounded, there's no need for a noise reduction pedal. If you're worried about humming, swap the Behringer for an Art, Mackie, or Samson equivalent. Finally, the Firepod's known as the FP10. There's also the Presonus Firestudio which has improved preamps and includes metering on the unit itself.

Quote by Yontsey

Macbook 2ghz core due 2 gigs ram
- when the new macbooks are released next month, I'm going to get one and upgrade to 4 gigs ram

Logic Pro 8
- I have an iControl that I use with this too which is a nice little convenient piece of equipment, though in no way necessary

Cool. I've used Reason, and it's also a pretty easy to use software (though a bit clumsy when recording).

Quote by Yontsey

ART TubeMP Preamp
Whirlwind IMP 2 DI Box

The TubeMP can double as a DI box. Swapping tubes could help sound quality, as stated before. Whirlwind's a good brand though.

Quote by Yontsey
Any recommendations you could make for my set up? I was thinking about getting a compressor gate rack unit, but I think I may just use the one in Logic, plus my Antares has one in it too.

Recommend rack units, mics, plug-in's, and anything else you can think of. I'm not a broke bastard, but I'm not going top end on this stuff because it's just for personal use. I want to get a professional sound, but for the most part, it's for personal use.

Plugin: Izotope Ozone 3.

Rack units: Get a FMR RNC. Compressors are very useful to ensure that clipping will not occur during recording, which is very likely if the person recording is an amateur/inexperienced, so he may waver in volume level. It can serve as a limiter, and is very transparent. At the least, it can save you a take or two.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I say toss at least a pair of SM57s in there or a 57 and 58. Also I suggest just sticking with studio time. It takes years of experience with great gear to get great sound. Getting great gear and trying to run it all yourself doesn't mean you'll get great recordings....

Look over Tweaks Guide linked in my sig to see what else you may need or want if you end up going for a studio setup.
Also take note that you could have the greatest in mics, preamps, compressors and software, but if you're recording in an acoustically ****ty environment your results wont come close to justifying the cost of such equipment.
Fast_Fingers

I think the new Firepods are called the FP10. I have one of the older models. Either way, it's a great interface and I love it.

Is it easy to swap out the tubes in that ART preamp? I've seen people mention it, but never really thought about it. I primarily use the firepod's send and return for a preamp for my AVP and it works out really well.

The AVP has a compressor and de esser settings on it and I use the built-in compressor in Logic too. I've thought about getting a rack compressor gate but I mainly just use the ones I have right now.

I'll have to look into that Izotope plug-in you mentioned when I get some more time and more into that compressor you suggested.

moody07747

I've never really been blown away by the 57's, that's why I got the Audix i5 instead. I think it has a much better sound, especially with a snare drum.
Quote by MrPillow
Also take note that you could have the greatest in mics, preamps, compressors and software, but if you're recording in an acoustically ****ty environment your results wont come close to justifying the cost of such equipment.

Yeah, that is sometime I'm working on. The place I record my band is pretty well taken care of but in my house is tough. I'm clearing out a room in the next week or two and am going to set up a lil area in there specifically for recording.
Looks good except for the MXL's. I haven't heard anything but negative things about those 990's and 991's by anyone who has a good ear.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
the 990/991 are ok, I actually like the sound of the 990 for my vocals but both mics are also good for acoustic guitar.

The mxl set is cheap and good for starting out but if you are looking for high end audio go with something else.
Yeah they are good on acoustic and I don't mind the vocal sound. Plus I got them free.
Yes sir, I do. They are supposedly going to update them again in June right around the WWDC with new bodies and processors. Basically a complete redesigning almost.

That's just word on the street though...