Hi I'm a beginner with very basic knowledge of scales and finding the right notes/chords on my guitar. Everything I've picked up so far has been through tabs.

I'm looking for the next chord in the even progression (like do-re-me) from:

D (xx0232) to Dsus4 (xx0233) to ??????

I hope you understand what I mean from this bad explanation!
So you're trying to figure out what would be the best chord for your chord progression? I'm too lazy to see how it sounds right now, but try a G chord. 320033
I have no idea. If you want it to be from something like D, E, F#, etc, thats different. I dont know where the Dsus4 is from....anyone else get it?
Thanks for your suggestions guys but I'll try and rephrase...

Hum a D chord note, then hum a Dsus4. I'm looking for the 3rd note that is one step higher than a Dsus4.

I was trying xx0555 but it didn't sound quite right...
Quote by dukeandy
Thanks for your suggestions guys but I'll try and rephrase...

Hum a D chord note, then hum a Dsus4. I'm looking for the 3rd note that is one step higher than a Dsus4.

I was trying xx0555 but it didn't sound quite right...

Try this:
e-5-
B-3-
G-2-
D-0-
It's just a D5 chord, but the top notes will go F# G A (3 4 5) and it'll sound pretty well resolved.
thanks "smiling" that's perfect!
Wish there was an easier way to play it though....I need to change my finger position after the Dsus4 otherwise my pinky won't stretch far enough.

See I'm going from:
G (320033)
Cadd9 (x32033)
Dsus4 (xx0233)

My pinky and ring fingers are on the third fret the whole time until I need to change to D5 (xx0235)
Quote by dukeandy
thanks "smiling" that's perfect!
Wish there was an easier way to play it though....I need to change my finger position after the Dsus4 otherwise my pinky won't stretch far enough.

See I'm going from:
G (320033)
Cadd9 (x32033)
Dsus4 (xx0233)

My pinky and ring fingers are on the third fret the whole time until I need to change to D5 (xx0235)

No problem, glad to help.

To finger the Dsus4 and set up the move better, try just placing your index finger on the G string 2nd fret and taking your middle finger and barring the top two strings. Then all you have to do is put your pinky down on the high E string and you'll be good to go.