Poll: Playing Other People's solos?
Poll Options
View poll results: Playing Other People's solos?
Essential to learn
17 23%
Its not right, solo belongs to the origional creator
5 7%
Nothing wrong with it
53 71%
Voters: 75.
Alright, so, my band decided that we should do some covers to play at shows. We picked:
(FYI, we play Progressive Metal)

The Trooper- Iron Maiden
Limelight- Rush
Money- Pink Floyd

So, I'm not really having a problem with learning the tabs, until it comes to the solos. Ive never tried to learn another person's solo before, mainly because I didn't need to. However, as I sat there and looked at the tab, I just kinda realized how wrong it is. I mean, a solo is a personal thing, right? Every solo is unique to the song, and to the soloist. So, the point I'm getting at here is that I guess I feel conflicted over playing other solos.

What does UG think?
Poll to come

EDIT: The poll is up!
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
its not "essential" per say...but I found it EXTREMELY helpful to learn people's solos...
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
...There's nothing more personal about a solo than a riff or a progression. It's just another part of the song. I don't understand your hangup.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
the solos arent the only unique and personal part to the song. the bands wrote the riffs and put together the chord progressions too. but its always a good idea to learn other solos. it helps you learn better technique and all that jazz
I say, learn the solo, then when you play it, throw a few twists in there to make it your own.
Well every song is unique to the artist as well but you're covering them.. So what's the difference in covering the solo?
Nobody's going to get pissed at you for playing their solo the same way they do. Anyway, how do you think innovative lead players get ideas for solos? From other people's solos.
Whether I learn the original solo or improvise typically depends on the song. Of those three songs, I know Money and I love playing the original solo on it. Dave Gilmour does some improvisation live, but he has stated in interviews that he generally prefers to play guitar solos similar to how they are on their studio versions.
Why not learn? If you want to emulate in any way the style of your favorite players, the best way is to learn their licks and try to imitate them for a while.
Quote by Våd Hamster
I usually just learn the original solo and add my own Ideas and spice to it.

+1, I do that too.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by DiMeTiMe
TS: Are you dense or something?

Really, how "personal" is a solo? It's music!!!! I would NEVER feel bad playing any music (except Fall Out Boy, MCR, etc... ).

dude if you know sh*t about MCR they have a decent number of kick ass solos.
I can't even learn the rest of the song, forget about the solo... soooo....
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by I_hate_kyle
I say, learn the solo, then when you play it, throw a few twists in there to make it your own.

nobdy would get pissed i you kind of spice it up a bit, as long as it sounds good nobody should f*ck with you
i'd say that the limelight solo is a really key part to the song, and i guess you could say the same for the others too

id recommend learning parts of it, but when theres just scale kinda stuff make it up
Quote by chinkboy7
dude if you know sh*t about MCR they have a decent number of kick ass solos.

lol, not a fan of them - period, k?
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at May 9, 2008,
Quote by DiMeTiMe

neither am I but they still have some cool guitar solos, just because you hate a band doesn't mean everything about them sucks
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Listen to the solo on Dead or Famous Last Words, and tell me you could write something better than that.

Chinkboy7: plus 1,000

Ontopic: It's a good idea to learn the original solos for getting techniques down, or even slowing down fast solos to use as an exercise for a certain technique, but if you play live it would probably be better to improvise on a few parts, but still keeping the main theme of the solo.
Do what you are comfortable with, but if you decide to improve a solo on the spot make sure its fits the song.
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
Quote by silhouettica
Alright, so, my band decided that we should do some covers to play at shows. We picked:
(FYI, we play Progressive Metal)

The Trooper- Iron Maiden
Limelight- Rush
Money- Pink Floyd

So, I'm not really having a problem with learning the tabs, until it comes to the solos. Ive never tried to learn another person's solo before, mainly because I didn't need to. However, as I sat there and looked at the tab, I just kinda realized how wrong it is. I mean, a solo is a personal thing, right? Every solo is unique to the song, and to the soloist. So, the point I'm getting at here is that I guess I feel conflicted over playing other solos.

What does UG think?
Poll to come

EDIT: The poll is up!

Well, it's not "wrong," nor is it "essential."

When I'm bored, I play the Nothing Else Matters solo, just because of how much it rapes my ears.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
You better learn them. Nothing pisses me off more than listening to a good cover, and then hearing the guitarist have the nerve to play his own solo instead of the original. It comes across as arrogant or something to me, sometimes to the point where it ruins the cover.
It depends on the song. Like it's been said, all three of those songs have pretty well-known solos, so I'd learn them.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Brain245
You better learn them. Nothing pisses me off more than listening to a good cover, and then hearing the guitarist have the nerve to play his own solo instead of the original. It comes across as arrogant or something to me, sometimes to the point where it ruins the cover.

That's stupid. A cover is a band's take on that song, essentially meaning they make it their own. If you played the original solo it wouldn't really be that interesting of a cover, would it?