Farewell ballad by zakk wylde

See it here http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE

I don't really care about the shred parts but i do like the sound of the rest of it.

What scales or techniques would be best?

Any help is great
writing music isn't about the techniques or scales. just try writing music. dont try to sound like somebody else. the outcome is never that great.
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
writing music isn't about the techniques or scales. just try writing music. dont try to sound like somebody else. the outcome is never that great.

I know that. I have already written a good riff which i like.

What i want is just some scales or something that i can use to improve on it. All i know is the major, Minor pentatonic and the harmonic minor.
just play what you "feel", improvise, just remember the notes!
try to stick to the blues , or the melodic minor scales for the sound though and if you want to sound alot like it play in f#
R.I.P brother dime

Reppin for the new york death metal scene
what makes a man?balls and weiner my friends, balls and weiner
the "play what you feel" statement is only best used after you learn some theory so that you know HOW to play what you feel. that whole thing zakk did was just a minor scale and some of the faster parts are based around the chords being played at the time.

ideally work on phrasing, it will serve you best in the long run
Quote by the_poison125
I know that. I have already written a good riff which i like.

What i want is just some scales or something that i can use to improve on it. All i know is the major, Minor pentatonic and the harmonic minor.

That solo is almost exclusively in D minor pentatonic, just so you know.
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
writing music isn't about the techniques or scales.

Writing music isn't about scales? They're fairly important...
Quote by trooper927
try to stick to the blues , or the melodic minor scales for the sound though

The scales you use depend largely on the context in which you're playing.