wat kind of thing do i need to practise to play this song fluently..
techinques or littles exercises or something..
anything that will help me...
practice it at quarter speed
I gave rock n' roll to you

Anti-thayer
mainly practice of thunderstruck, try and make it an easy stretch without moving ur left hand 2 much
learning to tap well isn't a bad start
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
do what i do.

1. Turn distortion up pretty much
2. Turn volume to 11
3. Hold high E and G strings with right index finger and thumb to mute
4. and tap with left index and ring finger

i can record it and put it on my account page.
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
^yea do that b/c some reason i think the muted string (since you ARE holding the two high strings) in between the fretted ones will sound off and therefor the song will also be off. not off tempo necessarily, just off the actual sound it's SUPPOSED to be.

but yes, PRACTICE LEGATO. pull-offs and hammer-ons are something that a lot of people get sloppy on their technique b/c they rush the skill. when you're pulling off don't just hit the string down and then come straight back up w/ ur finger, hit the string down to the fretboard and then PULL DOWN just a tad bit- THEN pull the finger off the finger board. SOOO MANY people don't do their pull offs like this and this is why they sound VERY FAINT. this is also a BIG reason why when people try to tap their tapping doesn't sound very fluent and strong.

lighter strings also make this easier as it can be wear and tear on ur wrist lol no joke.

oh and DON'T do what classic rock boy does!!! my god...that is the ULTIMATE NOOB mistake!! "turn gain to 11" what THE HELL!? Angus Young uses minimal gain. you don't want heavy gain, you want CRUNCH. cranking ur overdrive into heavy saturation will only HIDE ur bad technique, and not very good either. classicrockboy i suggest you take my advice and do NOT hide behind distortion like that. if yall want me to put my own sample of thunderstruck on doing it my way then i'll get one up within the next day so you can see what i'm talking about. i use a modded G-400 and blackheart little giant, so i can get a PERFECT AC/DC tone.

excuse me if i sound like an ass but when it comes to practicing a TERRIBLE technique, i will be as much as an ass as i have to be to keep you from making a terrible mistake!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by B. Heath
learning to tap well isn't a bad start

There is no tapping in Thunderstruck

The recording is picked, but live Angus tends to start the riff picked then shows off by raising his hand in the air and just playing it with hammer ons and pull offs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

The recording is picked, but live Angus tends to start the riff picked then shows off by raising his hand in the air and just playing it with hammer ons and pull offs.

Was just about to say the exact same thing.....if you listen to the track or watch the videos he is picking every note.

If you're picking isnt up to speed, just start slowly like Ace Man said. Work on individual note definition. Speed is nothing without accuracy.
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
If you want to do it like Angus:

Pick every note - you'll have to use alternate picking of course. There is NO tapping nor are there hammer ons / pull offs in this song.

Hold your pick at a straight angle, otherwise you will have trouble playing cleanly at the rather high tempo.

When I play it, my fretting hand mutes the high e-string all the time while my picking hand's thumb mutes the g-string. If you hold the pick like I said before, you mute the g-string automatically. Any other way of muting in this case is uneconomic and therefore plain bad technique, that'll harm your playing in the long run.

Start slow - no need to rush it. Like Gilmour said, accuracy is the key. Take a day to learn the lick properly and start playing it at a tempo that is comfortable for you. It is very likely that you'll be able to play it at, let's say, 110 to 120 bpm in a short time, though reaching the original tempo (134 bpm) might take months.
Quote by TheQuailman
If you want to do it like Angus:

Pick every note - you'll have to use alternate picking of course. There is NO tapping nor are there hammer ons / pull offs in this song.

Hold your pick at a straight angle, otherwise you will have trouble playing cleanly at the rather high tempo.

When I play it, my fretting hand mutes the high e-string all the time while my picking hand's thumb mutes the g-string. If you hold the pick like I said before, you mute the g-string automatically. Any other way of muting in this case is uneconomic and therefore plain bad technique, that'll harm your playing in the long run.

Start slow - no need to rush it. Like Gilmour said, accuracy is the key. Take a day to learn the lick properly and start playing it at a tempo that is comfortable for you. It is very likely that you'll be able to play it at, let's say, 110 to 120 bpm in a short time, though reaching the original tempo (134 bpm) might take months.

As said, Angus does it both ways.

I do it with hammer ons and pull offs as it is much easier, gain is same for any other AC/DC song I play, around 1 o'clock. High gain may make it easier, but it would sound bad. I find using the bridge pickup makes it more defined .
Quote by sofubar
As said, Angus does it both ways.

I do it with hammer ons and pull offs as it is much easier, gain is same for any other AC/DC song I play, around 1 o'clock. High gain may make it easier, but it would sound bad. I find using the bridge pickup makes it more defined .

I was referring to the recording rather than live shows. But you're right, if you use neck or middle pickups, the sound is just way too mellow, it just doesn't suit the riff.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^yea do that b/c some reason i think the muted string (since you ARE holding the two high strings) in between the fretted ones will sound off and therefor the song will also be off. not off tempo necessarily, just off the actual sound it's SUPPOSED to be.

but yes, PRACTICE LEGATO. pull-offs and hammer-ons are something that a lot of people get sloppy on their technique b/c they rush the skill. when you're pulling off don't just hit the string down and then come straight back up w/ ur finger, hit the string down to the fretboard and then PULL DOWN just a tad bit- THEN pull the finger off the finger board. SOOO MANY people don't do their pull offs like this and this is why they sound VERY FAINT. this is also a BIG reason why when people try to tap their tapping doesn't sound very fluent and strong.

lighter strings also make this easier as it can be wear and tear on ur wrist lol no joke.

oh and DON'T do what classic rock boy does!!! my god...that is the ULTIMATE NOOB mistake!! "turn gain to 11" what THE HELL!? Angus Young uses minimal gain. you don't want heavy gain, you want CRUNCH. cranking ur overdrive into heavy saturation will only HIDE ur bad technique, and not very good either. classicrockboy i suggest you take my advice and do NOT hide behind distortion like that. if yall want me to put my own sample of thunderstruck on doing it my way then i'll get one up within the next day so you can see what i'm talking about. i use a modded G-400 and blackheart little giant, so i can get a PERFECT AC/DC tone.

excuse me if i sound like an ass but when it comes to practicing a TERRIBLE technique, i will be as much as an ass as i have to be to keep you from making a terrible mistake!!

well i guess i should be sorry for being a "noob." i'm not good at picking like Angus does, so i do it the short cut way and it sounds fine. but i agree with sofubar.
Quote by brandon369852
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

Quote by classicrockboy
well i guess i should be sorry for being a "noob." i'm not good at picking like Angus does, so i do it the short cut way and it sounds fine. but i agree with sofubar.

Don't feel bad, Angus isn't that good either...when he recorded Thunderstruck he taped down the other strings on the guitar to stop them ringing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
For reddevil1250:

If you're just starting and want to impress some people quick, i suggest doing it my way first. then practice The_Quailman's way to be a ROCK GOD!! also, what part of the volume is "gain" i know it's a stupid question, but my amp doesn't say anything about gain. it says "drive" and "level" (FYI i have the Epiphone Studio 15R)
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

Quote by steven seagull
Don't feel bad, Angus isn't that good either...when he recorded Thunderstruck he taped down the other strings on the guitar to stop them ringing

thanks. i'm kinda new. i just bought my guitar in December
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

The best way to practice that song, is to practice that song. There is no tapping on the recorded version, and it sounds goofy if you don't pick the notes like Angus does. It's a great finger exercise, and you definitely should learn to play legato, but it shouldn't be used on this particular song.

You'd be surprised how little gain you actually need to get a good tone. Too much gain is horrid. Try a mid level gain and attack the strings harder with the pick.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by steven seagull

Angus said that he only used to play hammer ons and pull's in the video clip and everthing else is just picked look at the dvd's and listen to the cd's ok !!!!!!
Gear:
Dean Cemetery Gates Razorback
MXR Dime Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
ISP Decimator
EH LPB-1
Peavey 6505
D'addario strings, DR strings
Dunlop picks
^^ Yeah, you can HEAR it's picked if you listen to it. It's pretty obvious that there's no tapping on the recorded version.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker