Hi, guys looking for a little advice here. The current situation is I have just bought myself a new guitar, costs me quite a bit of money. Its a Maestro EA-2 http://www.maestroguitars.com/2007/products/ea2.htm. This is the guitar that I have just bought. I'm still relatively new to playing the guitar.
The weird problem I have here is, I can't seem to do a 1/2 barre F on this new guitar although i can do it with ease on the old piece of crap i was using previously. Have I just wasted my money and got myself a dud?
I like the tone of this new guitar very much though, and I was wondering if any of you guys might know what could possibly be the problem.
is the action too high? or the tension too tight? maybe the tension/action is too loose and fret buzz is causing it(wierd buzzing sound)? if the case is one of these then i can easily help you fix it, but other than that im useless unless you expain further
R.I.P brother dime

Reppin for the new york death metal scene
what makes a man?balls and weiner my friends, balls and weiner
ah, let me try to be a little clearer. when i try to play 1/2 barre F on m y new guitar, the 1st string(thinnest string) is always mutted or buzzes a little. however, if i play just the 1st string, meaning just the single note. there isn't any problem at all, which leaves me scratching my head what could be the problem.
1/2 barre F

Do u mean xx3211?

In any case, ive found that much of the time when people have trouble with these kinds of
chords its beacause theyre either new to guitar or theyve been electric players and simply arent used to the higher actions and thicker necks and strings of acoustic guitars.

There is of course the possibility that your guitar has been poorly set up and the action is too high. Try playing some other acoustics and see if you have the same problem.
Check the action, other than that I doubt its a problem with the guitar...
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
yes, i meant xx3211. i could do this chord easily with another acoustic guitar though, so i basically assumed my technique should be right. hmm yea, i thought if i could play a single note on that fret without any problem, the guitar should be fine. so i suppose the most likely problem is really just the action?
yeah action could be high at the nut put a capo on fret 3 and check string clearence at the first fret should be a very small gap like .008 or just tap the string down there should be a notable ping
Quote by avenger86
yes, i meant xx3211. i could do this chord easily with another acoustic guitar though, so i basically assumed my technique should be right. hmm yea, i thought if i could play a single note on that fret without any problem, the guitar should be fine. so i suppose the most likely problem is really just the action?

I have the same problem with my G string (of course, its allwaays the G string). Its raised higher than the others so when I go to barre the rest are fine but its always impossible to get that one to.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.