Page 1 of 3
This is my first thread soooooooo..... what was the first song you guys taught yourselves to play? I'm pretty sure my first song was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. Very easy song.
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Like a Stone by Audioslave, minus the solo parts because I didn't and still don't have the pedals for it.
You're not self-taught if you taught yourself to play your first song, you're self-taught if you taught yourself everything after that.

anyhow, Spiders ; System of a Down
Working Man by Rush, only the riffs of course. The solo was in imaginable.

Anyway I'm entirely self taught and seem to get quite a lot of praise these days. I don't understand people.

Realize if you can break out the mold of 90% of the guitarist bury themselves in (Frat Boy Acoustic, bro, or teh METALLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!) and take the time to develope your own tones and techniques then you'll really be on to something. Trust me; treading on the well worn paths is much easer after you've spent some time trailblazing a bit on your own; sure you'll waste a lot of time getting nowhere, but when you get somewhere, it'll be someplace that few, if any, have gone.
Quote by Evadlite
You're not self-taught if you taught yourself to play your first song, you're self-taught if you taught yourself everything after that.

anyhow, Spiders ; System of a Down

you're not SELF taught if you taught YOURSELF to play YOUR to play YOUR
that's what SELF taught means (mine was come as you are)
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you

yeah you didnt quite catch the drift of the question did you?

knockin on heavens door- G&R version
i enjoy head
Fade To Black, learned it by myself first song I ever learned on guitar.
In all seriousness mine was mankinds theme from the raslin, the one that starts with the car crash.
evadlite, i'm not quite sure i understand your logic. teaching yourself to play your first song sounds pretty self-taught to me...
Quote by brandon369852
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

Yeah i Self-Taught myself
my first song was Tears Dont fall - Bullet for my valintine.
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
I never really taught myself a fullsong for a while
I just practiced riffs till I was good

but I did learn Santeria by Sublime
took a while to actually get it down, but I did
The first song i really got the whole thing down was californication by RHCP (solo and all) but the first song really i went for was bat country by a7x, but only the riffs. And i didn't even know what drop d tuning was, lol.
...and justice for all by metallica first self taught song i learned
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Believe it or not, Wish You Were Here was the reason I picked up a guitar. My first? Oh...it was, I believe, Day Tripper, or Polythene Pam.
I played Stairway to Heaven for my school talent show one year. the next i played Free Bird with my one friend.
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

First song I learned all the way through was probably The Star Spangled Banner...

First REAL song I learned: Animal I Have Become lol yeah one of the easiest songs you could ever play...but it still sounds cool to play
****in stairway dude......
!GEAR!

Epiphone '07 Faded Cherry G-400
Martin 00CXRAE Grand Concert
Spider III 75 watt
Fender Premium Celluloid Mediums
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah
Quote by silent caution
you're not SELF taught if you taught YOURSELF to play YOUR to play YOUR
that's what SELF taught means (mine was come as you are)

what?... well iv been playing for a couple weeks havent learnt much, so i might try and get lessons soon once i can afford it, the first tune i have learnt was a song from final fantasy 7 just learnt Wish You Were Here, tried playin smells like teen spirit but i still cant palm mute very well. And my hands are still really slow since i borke my fingers but although progress is slow its pretty damn fun, im well looking 4ward to getting enough money for lessons
Quote by RadioMuse
Working Man by Rush, only the riffs of course. The solo was in imaginable.

Anyway I'm entirely self taught and seem to get quite a lot of praise these days. I don't understand people.

Realize if you can break out the mold of 90% of the guitarist bury themselves in (Frat Boy Acoustic, bro, or teh METALLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!) and take the time to develope your own tones and techniques then you'll really be on to something. Trust me; treading on the well worn paths is much easer after you've spent some time trailblazing a bit on your own; sure you'll waste a lot of time getting nowhere, but when you get somewhere, it'll be someplace that few, if any, have gone.

I agree with the Acoustic Bro kinda person but not really the metal. Metal is actually a pretty extensive genre but for most of it some hard techniques come into play and once you get em down you'll actually be a much better guitarist. I'm not strictly metal at all but it's one of my favorites!
Quote by nauc
metallica - nothing else matters

+1.

My first song I learnt too.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by classicrockboy
evadlite, i'm not quite sure i understand your logic. teaching yourself to play your first song sounds pretty self-taught to me...

I was referring to your title thread, "self-taught guitarist".
Iron Man, and then For WHom The Bell TOlls.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Hard to explain - The Strokes
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by classicrockboy
This is my first thread soooooooo..... what was the first song you guys taught yourselves to play? I'm pretty sure my first song was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. Very easy song.

Well, that's definitely the first intro I learned. The first song that I could play all the way through was probably something by the White Stripes (lol).
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by Seef
I agree with the Acoustic Bro kinda person but not really the metal. Metal is actually a pretty extensive genre but for most of it some hard techniques come into play and once you get em down you'll actually be a much better guitarist. I'm not strictly metal at all but it's one of my favorites!

I guess I should've specified clearer... I'm basically against speed-shredding and drop-whateverthe**** you feel like tunings and pounding the same palm-muted chord over and over at absurd tempos.

I like music that feel like it has momentum like a sports car flying down the autobahn or going through stop and go traffic: riding jackhammers and learning how to make my guitar sound like a ray-gun out of a cheezy science fiction movie isn't worthwhile to me.

The genre as a whole has many good things to learn from it: Palm muting, pinch harmonics, tremolo picking, hammer-ons, pull-offs, two or right handed tapping, kill-switch manipulation, and of course the discovery of the all-mighty riff. They're all excellent things: but don't get stuck in using them only one way. Many of my favorite bands (RATM, Metallica, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, etc) can be considered 'metal' to some degree or another; however my absolute favorite bands tend towards a different direction all together. It's all personal taste. I just wish that in the pursuit of virtuosity people didn't get stuck thinking that they have to shred.
Quote by FEDS-91
Dokken - "Into The Fire"

And yeah...I'm old. F**k off.

Hey, you don't have to be old to love bands like Dokken. I'm 15 and I totally dig all the 80's stuff.

At any rate, the first song I taught myself was 'Detroit Rock City' by Kiss. That song was the entire reason I picked up guitar. Of course, being in Kentucky, I've started to lean towards a more blues-oriented style. That's besides the point however.
The intro to Canon Rock.
I think American Idiot...and Wake Me Up When September Ends.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Breaking the law. Easy song
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
^^ haha one of my first as well. i think my first was an alice cooper song. or it could have been black sabbath as well.

my first song from a tab was Diary of a mad man by ozzy osbourne (well more randy rhoads than ozzy i'm sure)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Page 1 of 3