Hey guys. I've been asking some questions about amps lately, and have gotten really helpful responses. After a lot of thinking, and listening, and saving up, etc. I came up with my final list for my new amp. I need an amp that's pretty versatile, but that can get a high gain, heavy tone (enough to play death metal, doom, post-metal, etc.) at least with the help of a pedal (i have a boss me-50 that might help). I do not have that much money, but I am willing to buy used. It would be nice if it had nice cleans too. Here is my list, and thank you in advance.

Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Bugera 6262
B-52 at-100

One more question: Does it sound worse is you are getting your gain from a pedal instead of it being all from the amp? If this is the case, the FA might be excluded. I am considering it because I like the fact that it has a good bass tone, and I am drawn to having a more unique tone. Also, I might consider the 5150, but from what I have heard it sounds too generic (in my opinion). If you think its still much better than anything else, feel free to suggest it. Thanks guys. No more after this one... promise
I would buy the B-52. They're supposed to be great amps.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
if unique is what you want get the AOR.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
heard good things about the b-52, especially since they apparently fixed the reliability issues.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^+1 to that. It's not something I hear a lot about. That being said, it'd be better for your playing to make you unique. Look at Page, when he was just starting. LP through Marshalls (don't bust my balls about the dano & teli, zep-heads) isn't a very innovative setup.... but his playing is remarkable because of his ability to write great riffs.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
5150 is the best choice by far.
I prefer all analog amp distortion. Overdrive pedals are great for amps like Orange or Marshall, or even Mesa Stilettos [Mainly EL-34 amps]

That's just my opinion on tone though.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by carniferous
^+1 to that. It's not something I hear a lot about. That being said, it'd be better for your playing to make you unique. Look at Page, when he was just starting. LP through Marshalls (don't bust my balls about the dano & teli, zep-heads) isn't a very innovative setup.... but his playing is remarkable because of his ability to write great riffs.

Oh man, great point! I got so excited about the different amp sounds, I totally forgot one's sound and style is in one's playing. Thank you for reminding me this!
Ok guys, so I'm seriously considering the B-52. It looks pretty versatile and seems to have a good sound. The Bugera depends on how their reliability issues continue. I'll look into their warranties and stuff like that to see. I liked the idea of the Fallen Angel because it has a very good low end, and although it seems to have decent gain, it wouldn't be enough for what I play. The AOR would be tied with the B-52 at the moment. Any more suggestions? Thanks very much to everyone who has helped.
The AOR is a great, great amp. There are loads of guys that use them for heavy stuff and they sound killer. I doubt the B-52 or Ashdown would be anywhere near as good. Although the B-52 would be more modern voiced, whereas the AOR is like a JCM800 on steroids.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Cool, so I wouldn't need pedals for the AOR to reach metal territory then would I? I've heard some clips but they don't say if they were using them
Question: would the AOR be similar to the Crate Blue Voodoo? I've heard clips of both and they sound similar in their high gain settings, but it may just be that theyre pretty bad clips.
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
Cool, so I wouldn't need pedals for the AOR to reach metal territory then would I? I've heard some clips but they don't say if they were using them

You wouldn't need one, but an OD pedal would be a nice touch with the AOR.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I've never played the AOR, but from stuff I've heard, that amp would be at the top of my list out of the ones you have posted, by far.

Otherwise, the B-52 next as I really like that amp, especially for how cheap it is.

Then the Ashdown, it has a good sound to it, but I don't think it'll have enough gain for you by itself.

Then the Bugera because their warrenty sucks majorly and they have some serious reliability issues atm. They sound nice, but I'd be waiting a while to get one of these if I were you.

And I dissagree with the statement of, "overdrive pedals are great for amps like Orange or Marshall, or even Mesa Stilettos." ODs tend to change the sound of lower gain amps when being used to boost their gain channel into more gain, which isn't necessarily good with an orange, marshall, etc. With something with more gain or more modern voiced, it doesn't color the tone quite as much, just adds to it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 10, 2008,
Wow, nice. Thank you guys so much for your help. MatrixClaw, your lists are the best! Although they are of course, opinions, you explain them very well. Thank you very much! Anyone else want to contribute?
For metal tones, I've heard some really nice things about that Bugera 6262 and the Peavey 5150.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
For metal tones, I've heard some really nice things about that Bugera 6262 and the Peavey 5150.

If it's one sure thing my Bugera 6262 amp can do, it's Metal. Face melting high gain, and Chugga Chugga till the cows come home.
Yea, about the Bugeras. I really like how they sound, but I don't completely trust them yet. I'll try to go to a nearby store that sells them, and talk to them to see if they've heard many issues lately or if they can offer a better warranty or something. Thing is, I don't even have an amp now because the one i had got busted (it was an old hand-me-down), and I don't wanna buy one, for it to get messed up, and be left with no money and no amp. I'll look into it more, because I really like the 6262. About the AOR, is it a versatile amp, or is it just very good at one or 2 specific sounds? Versatility is important to me, and although I am aware i can't have everything with my budget, I'd like to get the most possible.
Bugera is deffinately the best out of all those. But the dude up there is right, you want to wait awhile to get one.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've never played the AOR, but from stuff I've heard, that amp would be at the top of my list out of the ones you have posted, by far.

Otherwise, the B-52 next as I really like that amp, especially for how cheap it is.

Then the Ashdown, it has a good sound to it, but I don't think it'll have enough gain for you by itself.

Then the Bugera because their warrenty sucks majorly and they have some serious reliability issues atm. They sound nice, but I'd be waiting a while to get one of these if I were you.

And I dissagree with the statement of, "overdrive pedals are great for amps like Orange or Marshall, or even Mesa Stilettos." ODs tend to change the sound of lower gain amps when being used to boost their gain channel into more gain, which isn't necessarily good with an orange, marshall, etc. With something with more gain or more modern voiced, it doesn't color the tone quite as much, just adds to it.
MESA,S ROCK
My grear Fender standard Strat(Black and White)Amp Marshall MG100DFX ,assorted toys.
Can Sovtek MIGs get a lot of gain, and are they versatile? Sorry for all of these questions... just dont wanna make a bad decision in something that is so important to me.