Poll: Should restaurants be allowed to let people smoke?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should restaurants be allowed to let people smoke?
Yes
50 31%
No
111 69%
Voters: 161.
Page 1 of 3
I live in Houston, and basically ever since a bill was passed, no restaurants are allowed to let people smoke inside.

I don't smoke, but honestly, I think restaurants should be allowed to let people smoke if they want to. Most restaurants are reasonable and put a smoking section there, but if people honestly find the second hand smoke (which I thought was barely noticable when restaurants had smoking sections) that harmful and hazardous to their health, they don't have to eat at that restaurant.

What do you guys think about this?
No.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Nah, not unless there was a different room with a lotta windows for it. I'd rather not smell that while I eat.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
I live in Arizona and they passed a bill making it so people cannot smoke in ANY public place. This included bars. I don't smoke and am against smoking, but they need somewhere to go?
No, I don't go to restaurants to get smoked out by douche bags, I go there to eat and enjoy myself.

Let the bastards smoke outside.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Restaurants shouldn't let people smoke inside.
People should have the right to smoke but outside and/or in designated areas

Also,the poll is very general.You should fix that up
Restaurants should have the right to decide whether people can smoke in them or not.
I mean, aren't they private property?
I'm a smoker and Scotland has had this law for a while and no people should not be allowed to smoke in restaurants.
Food+smoke=bad times!
Yeah i think its alright if there is a closed off area between the smokers and non smokers. Its rather annoying to try and eat and constantly have to smell it. I get enough of that elsewhere.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
I think it should be the restaurants choice. I mean at a family restaurant probably not, but more bar like restaurants definitely. The fact that there's a smoking ban in bars is ridiculous. People go there to drink a harmful substance, but god-forbid they pick up second hand smoke!
My signature is stupid.
It's starting to become common place in other states, in a town near me there are limits where you can smoke outside. I think it's right, just step outside and smoke.
I'm a smoker and i think that if you have to smoke while you eat that is pathetic, it ruins food and makes you look like an ass.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by 601210
Restaurants should have the right to decide whether people can smoke in them or not.

Strictly they're not, because members of the public are constantly accessing then.
Absolutely not. I shouldn't have to get cancer just because someone else wants to. It also needs to be banned from directly outside stores/restaurants. It makes me sick to watch people smoke right next to an entrance dozens of people are walking through. Secondhand smoke kills.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Quote by 601210

Private property can still have regulations set by the federal government (at least on this side of the pond).

Quote by Leonheart
Yup. Their restaurant, their choice.

Is it really so much of a hassle that their needs to be a law to prohibit it?

Uh, yeah...
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

The fact that there's a smoking ban in bars is ridiculous. People go there to drink a harmful substance, but god-forbid they pick up second hand smoke
Difference being they drink of there own accord, they dont take in other peoples smoke by choice.
I'm a smoker but that was just stupid.
Restaurants should be able to let people smoke in their building if they want to. Some places may let people smoke and others might not, but it's their right to do what they want with their private property.
I don't think I should be forced not to eat in a retaurant because I don't want to inhale smoke. People can live without smoking for an hour or two.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
ppl should only be allowed to smoke when they are high... cause smoking sober is just stupid <_<

P.S.: im high atm so i know what im talking about
Quote by ledhead67
Dammit, satyphan, you just shat over all my hopes and dreams.
Quote by LeviW
Secondhand smoke kills? BULL****. BULL****. *COUGH COUGH. BULL****.

My grandmother died of lung cancer from cigarette smoke. She never smoked a day in her life; I think it's safe to say second hand smoke does kill.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by LeviW
Secondhand smoke kills? BULL****. BULL****. *COUGH COUGH. BULL****.

I see what you did there.

Quote by Colgate Total
My grandmother died of lung cancer from cigarette smoke. She never smoked a day in her life; I think it's safe to say second hand smoke does kill.

You seemed to have missed the joke.
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Vos
It should be up to the restaurant, period. The government has no business telling people what is allowed on their property if it is legal otherwise.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Strictly they're not, because members of the public are constantly accessing then.

Private property that's open to the public is still private property.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I see this as government involvement in business affairs which i am completely against. Let business govern business. If people don't really want smoking sections and truly hate it then they must hate it enough to not go to a place, therefore voting with their money. Eventually some places will pick up on the hint and such, or even people write into places and suggest go all non-smoking, but for the government to come in and say no smoking is overstepping their boundary. Next they will say you can't have more than x amount of fat, or bars that can only sell you two drinks or something crazy. I applaud restaurants that go non smoking but this issue can't only be against restaurants. The government should stay in it's own limits and worry about what's going on with budgets and such instead of try to regulate business. It cracks me up that a lot of lawyers on capitol hill think they know whats best for the market and business.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

I think it's a good law. It's been in NY for a while now. I don't like secondhand smoke and smokers should respect the fact that others don't like it. It's pathetic if you don't have enough self control to not need a cigarette for a little while.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I'm not a smoker anymore. I hate the stench, but if I didn't want to smell it, yet knew the place had smoking I wouldn't ****ing go there. It's a personal choice. So yeah, its their business, they should be able to operate it the way they choose.
Quote by Joe-Fish
I think it's a good law. It's been in NY for a while now. I don't like secondhand smoke and smokers should respect the fact that others don't like it. It's pathetic if you don't have enough self control to not need a cigarette for a little while.

It's even more pathetic if you biitch about being exposed to something you don't like in a public place.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It should be up to the restaurant, period. The government has no business telling people what is allowed on their property if it is legal otherwise.

So should we also be allowed to smoke in places such as hospitals and airports because it's "legal otherwise?"

Quote by STPilots17
It cracks me up that a lot of lawyers on capitol hill think they know whats best for the market and business.

I'd love to hear one good reason for being able to smoke in restaurants, and a lot of those "lawyers on Capitol Hill" are successful businessmen as well. I agree with you about voting with your wallet though.
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Vos
Last edited by Beware!Criminal at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Soul-Monger
My dad, who's been smoking for 40 or-so-years, summed it up the best:
"I came to this God damn place to eat, not to choke! (Random obscenities)"

Quote by misfitsdisciple
I'm a smoker and i think that if you have to smoke while you eat that is pathetic, it ruins food and makes you look like an ass.

+1

I don't smoke, and I cannot tolerate second-hand smoke. I really don't care when it is outside, because there is tons of fresh air. But when I plunk down my money for a sit down meal, I don't want to deal with douches who can't eat a meal in between cigs.

Oh but if the question is "government-forced" or "let the restaurant decide", I guess I would let the restaurant decide.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at May 10, 2008,
from a cooks point of view.. there should never be cigarettes in a restaurant. taints the food, makes the place smell like ass, and if you've ever had a a donut from a smoke filled coffeeshop (this was awhile ago when it was still allowed..) you'll agree that food and smokes are a ****ing disgusting mix.

as a non-smoker in BC canada.. well heh.. you guys aren't even allowed to smoke on the patios of a restaurant here anymore.. so what can i say..

i think its a bit extreme. but i never felt the "non-smoking" section was all that effective.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Private property that's open to the public is still private property.

if you have declared any type of property as public access, then it must adhere to any laws that apply to public areas.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at May 10, 2008,
there should be regulations on smoking, but i feel that in cases like clubs and bars it is a real hassle for people to have to go outside and possibly have to wait in line again. Iv eheard of some places in amsterdam (if im wrong dont kill me, the idea is more important than the fact) where they have a seperate area for smokers that is ventilated. I think if restuarants or clubs want to put those in than those areas should be legal.
i enjoy head
Quote by Beware!Criminal
So should we also be allowed to smoke in places such as hospitals and airports because it's "legal otherwise?"

yes. I can exception for areas of hospitals where pure oxygen is in use because of the excessive fire hazard, but otherwise yes we should be able to.

Last.fm
Quote by Joe-Fish

as a smoker i totaly agree with you, it is pathetic when someone cant sit through a dinner without needing to have a smoke.
the smoking ban has been here for a couple of years now and i actually prefer it.
Restaurants, I'm rather indifferent. I smoke, and I personally hate smoking while eating.

But for bars, it should be acceptable to have a separate, ventilated smoking room.

Where I live, the government had pretty much ****ed over bars. First they passed a law making smoking in a bar only allowed in a enclosed ventilated room, and then a year later they banned it all together inside and in public places.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yes. I can exception for areas of hospitals where pure oxygen is in use because of the excessive fire hazard, but otherwise yes we should be able to.

I'll agree and say yes, if a hospital allows smoking then go right ahead. Sure no one will want to go there or make any donations and they'll go under, but if they want to ok. The voters have voted with their dollar.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Wow.

My rights as an individual are no less than that of smokers. Why should they be violated because I need to use public, federally/state owned property? My health should not suffer because other people choose to make stupid decisions.
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Vos
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It's even more pathetic if you biitch about being exposed to something you don't like in a public place.

So should I be able to masturbate in public? It must be okay, even if others don't like it, because it's my choice.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Page 1 of 3