How many instruments should you learn before u call yourself a multi-instrumentalist?

Another bassist
That is left-handed
1,321 IQ
Just out of curiosity, how many instruments do you think it takes for someone to play before they can call themselves a "multi-instrumentalist"?
Tyranus-3121
Weekend Heroin Addict
209 IQ
3 i suppose.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
barb3rman
I'm Jim Halpert
856 IQ
I suppose 3.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
guitar_freak333
929 IQ
Three. Two don't really count, especially if you play both guitar and bass, since they are almost the same thing, but in a band they are completely different, and both completely necessary.
Quote by Qazxs
I got kicked out of a Mac store when me and my friends simultaneously put on meatspin on all of the computers in the store. Some eleven or twelve year old looking girls there freaked out.
scarfacesuit
UG's Tooth Flosser
1,167 IQ

Multi can mean anything greater than one. Thing is, you should be able to sufficiently play all instruments involved to be considered a multi-instrumentalist. I know a lot of guitarists that I wouldn't even consider single instrumentalists, given how they lack in understanding their instrument.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Two, but you need to be 'good' at them.
I don't mean hit a drum-- you're a drummer!
Strike a chord-- you're a guitarist!

MULTI-INSTRUMENTALIST

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Beast-Wyvern
BFG, CMH, KOP and (F)LBF
173 IQ
I say five but thats just because Im real sick of people going round saying "I can play guitar, bass, drums and sing!" and then pretty much suck at them all. As already stated, you have to actually be good at them ffs
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
2 completely different instruments. eg. guitar and bass don't count but guitar and keyboard does.
hemi-san
Yep
306 IQ
well since multi means more than one, 2
I Like My Music Like I Like My Life

EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE!
pratt121
likes coldplay, isn't gay
457 IQ
I would call myself a multi-instrumentalist.

Guitar, piano, voice, drums, bass, mandolin
Zander155
Banned
75 IQ
Well:

Multi: More than 1

but, If you really want to get technical go by prefixes:
Bi-instrumental
Tri-Instrumental
ect
ect.

Or of course just polyinstrumental
zackR
UG Newbie
105 IQ
I consider myself a multi - instrumentalist. I play guitar, bass, piano, euphonium and drums. I'm learning to sing but at the moment i'm hopeless at it.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
FEDS-91
Captain Crude
179 IQ
Just make sure that you learn the glockenspiel or don't bother calling yourself anything other than lame.
kaplac
UG Addict
615 IQ
I consider myself a multi-instrumentalist. I can sufficiently play guitar, sax and baritone/euphonium.

However the glockenspiel falls under the category of being a percussionist. A true percussionist should be able to play the marimba/vibraphone and consequently the bells (A.K.A. glockenspiel) as well as be able to read music and have proper sticking technique as well as the other various "pit" instruments. I consider being a drummer as being able to hold their own within every type of drum there is. I think being a set player shouldn't fall under being a drummer, but rather a set player.
100Roy001
Roy
370 IQ
Quote by pwrmax
2 completely different instruments. eg. guitar and bass don't count but guitar and keyboard does.

Yay! I am a multi-instrumentalist!

I play keyboard and guitar and I have a good understanding of both. I am much better on my guitar tough...
CoreysMonster
Banned
8,557 IQ
I find you have to have sufficient skill in at least two instruments before you call yourself a multi instrumentalist.
I have been playing classical piano for 14 years and play guitar and drums (drums not so well).
so i'd consider myself a multi instrumentalist.
davedoom
1,052 IQ
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Multi-more then 1. So 2.

thread should have ended here.
Psychedelico
UG's Flying Lemur
1,584 IQ
Playing guitar and bass should count if you could actually bass better than someone just starting out.

I play guitar, sax, flute, bass, and can hold a few simple beats on a set.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
TheBF
Banned
21 IQ
2 only makes you a bi-instrumentalist, like bilingual. So 3 makes you a multi-instrumentalist.
12345abcd3
707 IQ
i don't really think that singing counts as an instument towards you total because, well, it's not and most people can sing (to an extent).

And according to all these definitions, except that dude who said five. I play Violin, Piano, Guitar and Bass and i'm ranging from good to quite good on all of them.
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist
1,735 IQ
I think you should be able to play three to a high standard. But it also implies that you can just pick up other instruments, and you have the skills and the intonation to play those too.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices