i just went to play on my amp and it works when i have the standby and power switch on but once i turn off the standby switch it stops working? any help would be appreciated! its a vk112.
thats because your switching it to standby mode, lol. You shouldn't be just turning it straight on. you let it sit in standby for a few mins then turn it on so the tubes warm up. you could damage your gear.
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
It's supossed to do that that's why its called standby. Once you turn your amp on leave it in standby for like 2 min to let the tubes warm up.
i do! i turn on the standby-then power-then turn off standby and the amp turns off with it.
do u just leave the standby on then when youre playing???? if not describe the proccess please!
both switches need to be on for the the amp to be "on". Switch on the far right for a couple min, then the other switch, and you're good to go.

Basically the switch on the right gets power going to it, but you're in standby for the tubes to warm up. the 2nd switch lets you start playing (but the first switch is still physically giving power).
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 212
so i leave the standby switch on when i'm playnig? thats how i've been doing it but the peavey guide said u cant have the standby switch on for over a minute? should i just ignore that?
Here is what you do:
With both switches in the OFF position, flip the power switch ON.

Your amp is on standby

Let it heat up for one or two minutes, then flip the standby switch to ON

It's really simple, but if you have any more questions just post and i'll answer.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
uuummm NO.

1. Stand by
2. Power
3. Play
4. Power off
5. Stand by off (or leave on for 15 min or so if you are taking a break, then Power back on)

He has a Peavey Valveking 112 but that is pretty standard chain of events

;

Power comes before Standby.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by skynyrd_69
so i leave the standby switch on when i'm playnig? thats how i've been doing it but the peavey guide said u cant have the standby switch on for over a minute? should i just ignore that?

the standby switch is labeled different on some amps, but they all do the same thing. In standby, the amp is standing by, waiting for a signal to hit the power section. The amp is on, but only the heater filaments in the tubes are getting powered, to bring the tubes to operating temperature.

For you, your switch is labeled "Standby" and "On". One side of the switch is "Standby", the other side is "On". "Standby" position means your amp is standing by, "On" position means your amp is on, and the signal is hitting the power section.

it's not them saying that it can "only" be in standby for a minute, they are saying you should leave it in standby for at least a minute before turning the switch to the "On" position. This will assure that the tubes are brought up to operating temperature before you hit them with a signal, which should prolong tube life.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 10, 2008,
okay, heres what you do.

both switched are at the same position befor eyou even think about playing.

you then hit the power switch, wait for a few mins, then hit the other switch next to the power switch, this means the sound will now come through and is off standby, despite if it says on or off.

then once you finish playing, which means your strings have stopped moving and you are going to do something else, you then hit the standby switch, which means there will be no sound coming through, then wiat a min or so if you like, and THEN turn the power button off.

/thread.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
so i think i got it?
1)i turn the power and on switch to"on"
2) let the tubes warm up for a minute or so
3)flip the standby amd on switch to "on"
4)play
to turn off
1)turn on to standby
2)turn on to power?
Quote by chase312
Power comes before Standby.

I'm still searching and maybe I was Wrong...

and i think you are Right!

my bad, i was reviewing wrong information possibly. good thing i asked/questioned you as maybe i have been doing it wrong.

tnx - and no hard feelings

;
ive been doing it the same way as you have but i guess its wrong???
so is the i put last right
flip power to on.
qwiat a few mins.
flip standby to whatever it says on your amp (switch in same position as power switch).
play
flip standby to original position (where it was before you turned any switch on)
turn power off.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
alright thanks alot! so ive been doing it backwards what does it do to my amp? ive only played on it for about a week and a half.
shouldn't be anything too major, i've played at places a few times and my amp just turned on cos i didnt check the switched before plugging in and my amp is still going a year down the track perfectly.

should be fine.
Quote by atr5557
Quote by skynyrd_69
so i think i got it?
1)i turn the power and on switch to"on"
2) let the tubes warm up for a minute or so
3)flip the standby amd on switch to "on"
4)play
to turn off
1)turn on to standby
2)turn on to power?

Yes, that's right.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Here is what i found just now and consider this support for most of the answers above (except mine as i think i was wrong, at least on first power up)

sweetwater dot com

Care and feeding of tube amps - Purpose of the Standby switch
06/26/2000

Although we've covered tube amp tips before, the proper use of the Standby switch can't be stressed enough, so we're going to look at it a little more closely today. Also because it's good to start a Monday with a nice, warm topic concerning vacuum tube amps.

"How does the Standby switch work on my tube amplifier? How and why should I use it?"
All of the vacuum tubes in any amplifier have separate lines that supply voltage to the different pins of the individual tubes. Every tube has a heater element, which is the source of the heat (and the neat glow tubes emanate) in the tube. The heat produced by the element in the tube excites the electrons in the tubes, generally getting them ready for audio action. Any other element in the tube that receives voltage for prolonged periods of time will be prone to wearing out faster, lessening the tube's life span -- this is where the standby switch comes into play. When a tube amplifier's power is on and the standby switch is set to standby, it means that only the tubes' heaters are getting voltage supplied to them. Any other elements of your amp's tubes aren't getting any voltage yet (except for the rectifier tube, which is always in use as long as the amp is on, and actually is located before the standby switch). This allows the tubes to warm up for a period of time before they have to operate to any extent. We recommend at least two minutes, although more can be better in some cases.

Once you've allowed the amp to warm up for at least a few minutes, turn the standby switch to the OFF position and get ready to play! If you find yourself working on music all day long with your tube amp, DON'T continually turn its power on and off throughout the day. Leave the power on and turn the standby on and off depending on whether or not it's in use; you'll save wear and tear on your tubes and likely also find that the amp just keeps sounding better and better (an interesting characteristic of tube amps is that the longer they operate, the better they tend to sound).

torresengineering.com

What's a "standby switch?" Fenders, Marshalls, Traynors, Boogie's all have one. Its purpose is to put the amp on idle while you take a break. The tubes have a filament that has to be heated up in order for the tube to work. Heating the filament is why the amp has to "warm up."

The standby switch leaves the filament heated up, and turns off the power and preamp stages. You can flip the standby switch off after a break and play right away. This extends tube life, as the filament doesn't have to be reheated every 45 minutes.

For a short break in the bar or club, put it on standby. But, if you and the other guys in the band are going away - turn all the amps completely off. A tube can go bad at any time. If the amp is on standby when the tube shorts out, you may have some damage. Only use the Standby switch when you are still around the amp.

When you first turn the amp on, turn on the on-off switch, but leave it on standby for about 2 minutes. This allows the filaments to heat up and be working right before you start playing.

for what it is worth...learn something everyday.

;
Here's a crazy idea.

Turn both switches on at the same time.

Pros: Massivly simple

Cons: Tube changes will be requied 5 days sooner every 3 years.