whats the main the diffrence between a D-18, D-16, or D15.
Or between the series.
what makes them diffrent other than the woods.
yes??? u asked for me

nah ill go check the guitars out for ya

Point of order......a D-18 has full gloss, the 16 only has a gloss on the top. A D-18 has straight braces (stiff) where the 16 has scalloped braces (open). A D-18 has a locking dovetail neck set where the 16 has a glued mortise and tenon (if you keep the thing for 15 years and need a neck reset, the mortise and tenon can come apart in 20 minutes but the locking dovetail involves heat, softening glue, cracking the neck out of the locking dovetail....it's a fairly ugly process that causes the owner to drink heavily while the luthier has at it.
Last edited by Martindecorum at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Martindecorum
yes??? u asked for me

nah ill go check the guitars out for ya

Point of order......a D-18 has full gloss, the 16 only has a gloss on the top. A D-18 has straight braces (stiff) where the 16 has scalloped braces (open). A D-18 has a locking dovetail neck set where the 16 has a glued mortise and tenon (if you keep the thing for 15 years and need a neck reset, the mortise and tenon can come apart in 20 minutes but the locking dovetail involves heat, softening glue, cracking the neck out of the locking dovetail....it's a fairly ugly process that causes the owner to drink heavily while the luthier has at it.

Actually, you can get the 16 series in full gloss =P the 15 series is all satin finish. but like as you rightly stated, the bracing patterns and neck joints are some of the major differences. also, the fingerboard and bridge material on the 16 series is made of Micarta(a material that they use for countertop), which lasts longer than normal wood.
exactly wich one is the a 15 series more related to, a 16 or a 18,
when it comes to bracing couse i really want an OM and cant afford to spend alot of money.
i'd say the 15 is more related to the 16 series. they should use the same bracing patterns if im not mistaken.

er... didnt you just buy a new guitar...? O__o
yah i did.
But im already thinking of getting anotherin a couple months after ive worked at my MCjob for a while.
haha, whoa there. i know that GAS may have a hold of you, but you can only play one guitar at a time =P but i guess... to each his own.
i dont know if ill buy another one, probly will, same thing happend when i got electric, i bought a shecter nothing wrong with the shecter, but I bought a les paul two months later, couse i wanted a diffrent sound.

Never tried out a 15 becaue frieken guitar center dosent carry them ever.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 10, 2008,
I imagine my MMV has a has a glued mortise and tenon, if neck ever warps(its ganna have to happen sometime) what are the complications of fixing it. Is it possible to fix