I am working on building a new lighting setup for an upcoming tour. The ones I've used previously were nothing compared to what I want to do.

To get an idea, look at these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHZ7-A1oICE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bHjToKp0y4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIyinj1MC08&feature=related

In the past I had manually controlled lights set up where we had someone flipping switches and knobs [dimmers] but I want to get a fully automated system running in the next few weeks.

I am completely clueless when it comes to lighting controllers or anything in that field.
Each individual module of lights runs at 2000 watts, and I have 5 of them, along with two 800 watt halogen strobes that are to be mounted on the left and right sides of the drum riser.

I'm looking for something that I can program to do patterns, or sync with music. I am still going to have someone in control of the lighting, but they would only have to select the pre-programmed patterns instead of actually flipping switches.

I would like help from anyone that has any experience with lighting systems... any help or suggestions at all is greatly appreciated.

thank you!
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I dont know much about modern lighting or stages but I do know most will run with MIDI, so just program a midi sequence and let that run the board.
You can probably also run a click track and sync it to the midi so youll be dead on with the lights for your show.

I think you should find another board specifically for lighting design and such. UG is good for guitar but you are looking into some high end gear here...

As for lighting message boards, I don't know of any so your on your own looking for that...

BTW your wattage adds up, just be sure not to trip the circuit breaker you are feeding off of. I use a 3 light kit for filming, each light is 600W and if we use any more than 2 on a circuit it will pop the breaker.

So heres what you have to look into:

120V 15A circuit can take up to 1800W
120V 20A circuit can take up to 2400W
240V 15A circuit can take up to 3600W
240V 20A circuit can take up to 4800W

Be sure to know what circuit you are on for each plug and what voltage you are dealing with. I used to do electrical work and can safely say its nothing to mess with if you are unsure of what you are doing. As for programming, I'm sure anyone who knows MIDI and a sequencer software well enough can program something for you easily.

You are dealing with a lot of gear here, just be sure its hooked up correctly and that the stage you are playing at has the correct amount and type of power you need.
I highly suggest getting someone who knows this subject very well to help you out.

Sorry I can't help much other than some calculations, I'm more into video and audio recording/editing now.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 10, 2008,
Thanks for the reply. I know that this site is for guitar gear and nothing more, so that you :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I did soem looking around and research. I know you need to get a control board and some dimmer boxes. The dimmer boxes need to be rated for your light wattage (total each light and go off that.)

This light pack is just an example of what Im talking about, I don't know if the dimmers are rated for your lights though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Elation-Stage-Pak-2-Controller-and-Dimmer-Package-?sku=800546

You could plug a computer with MIDI connection into the control board to automate it all.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 10, 2008,
Thank you again,

I've been looking around and nothing can handle the power I need. The box you posted can only take 5A per channel... Each light draws over 15A.

I may have to rewire the boxes to split the load between multiple channels.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Im sure there is a product out there which will handle your lights. I dont suggest rewiring anything since that will void any warranty and put some risk for shock or fire into the whole thing...

It sounds like your lights should be run off of stage power and controlled by the house board (master electrician runs this). I dont remember how much load each circuit could tape but you could easily plug one light into each circuit on the stages I worked on by in High School.
unforunatly i am like Dave here, i dont know much about running lights. i do know that there are things out there that can be programmed with MIDI and set to control the stuff. i would suggest trying sweetwater for this kinda thing. the catalogs i get from them always have a ton of stuff for live and studio use, much more than musicians friend or guitar center catalogs. and ive heard that their customer support is great and they will help you find what you need no matter what. and since each person gets a rep that they deal with (so you always get the same person) i would suggest finding a rep and shooting him/her an email. and of course just look around their site to see if you can find anything similar to Dave's idea but with more output.
Quote by moody07747
Im sure there is a product out there which will handle your lights. I dont suggest rewiring anything since that will void any warranty and put some risk for shock or fire into the whole thing...

It sounds like your lights should be run off of stage power and controlled by the house board (master electrician runs this). I dont remember how much load each circuit could tape but you could easily plug one light into each circuit on the stages I worked on by in High School.

Well I built the lights myself :]

Each box contains 10 100w halogen floodlights, arranged two wide and 5 high. Each box has a 3 prong power cord.

I'll look into what Jof1029 said as well.

Thank you for the help!
PM Gpderek09 to join!