I was listening to Seven Churches today for the first time in months, and remembered how awesome they were/ are. I search barred and there was no other Possessed thread so I decided to make one. Discuss all things related to this great thrash/ death metal band.( I would say they are closer to thrash)
good stuff.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Excellent, excellent band. Seven Churches is full of win, as is The Eyes of Horror. Must get my hands on beyond the gates.

Jeff Becerra is one of the best vocalists in metal, I always think of him as Cronos crossed with Chuck Schuldiner.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Seven Churches is the best death metal album ever. That is, if I pretend I'm in 1985.

Then the best metal albums are like...

1. Ride the Lightning
2. Seven Churches
3. Bathory's s/t
I've found Jesus
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
But Seven Churches isn't death metal.

You just have to force things into everyone's asshole do you?
I've found Jesus
You know, you could try to contribute to a non-hostile environment here.

Genres are subjective.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
Well, I find it to be a lot more thrash-oriented myself. Older death metal is thrashy, though.

I agree with you. But rather than posting short, angry outbursts (some of which could easily be considered irrelevant or even spam), you might want to try calming down a bit and backing up your statements with arguments.
I'm a communist. Really.
Great band I think they're thrash, but bordering very old school death metal.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
But Seven Churches isn't death metal.

No. They are actually DM. Early DM, and very thrash influenced, but so was basically all thrash at the time. If you want to be extra specific you may be able to get away with calling it proto Death Metal. but then again DM derived from thrash, which is why if you listen to Seven Churches, Scream Bloody Gore, and Altars of Madness you will find a lot of thrash influences in it.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Possessed are as Death metal as Venom were Black metal. Thrash bands, who invented the name. Seven Churches is a great cd, the rest of their material, not so much.
Seven Churches is a classic.. Started the whole death metal scene. Unfortunately, that is the only album of theirs that I have heard. Cannibal Corpse's cover of "The Exorcist" is pretty good on their Hammer Smashed Face EP.
I enjoy the old school awesomeness quite a bit.

Do their songs generally have lyrics based around anti-religion and Satan?
Quote by ♣ßRØDËRSÈÑ♣
Seven Churches is a classic.. Started the whole death metal scene. Unfortunately, that is the only album of theirs that I have heard. Cannibal Corpse's cover of "The Exorcist" is pretty good on their Hammer Smashed Face EP.

No? Possessed formed in 84, the Florida scene started a year earlier than that.
Quote by Stoner0405
I enjoy the old school awesomeness quite a bit.

Do their songs generally have lyrics based around anti-religion and Satan?

Early stuff yes, later stuff moved on to different topics.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
theres a pretty sweet growled intro on Pentagram from Seven Churches, i wonder why he doesn't sing like that all the time?
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Great band I think they're thrash, but bordering very old school death metal.

Yeah, if you compare Slayers' "Show No Mercy" album to Possessed "Seven Churches", you will find that they share many elements which each other, chief of which is poor production, and lyrical themes of the occult, and riffs. Old School Death Metal is almost identical to 80's Thrash. I noticed in Seven Churches, there really isn't that much screaming going on anyway. More like harsh talking.
Quote by Psychopathology
No? Possessed formed in 84, the Florida scene started a year earlier than that.

I was incorrect in saying that it started it, but it had a good impact on it for sure.
Harsh talking? Rofl.. Im not sure what to call it, just harsh talking gives me the image of an angry parent and his kid or something.

And diminishedthingy, I think thats a pitchshifter he uses.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Harsh talking? Rofl.. Im not sure what to call it, just harsh talking gives me the image of an angry parent and his kid or something.

And diminishedthingy, I think thats a pitchshifter he uses.

Yeah, it kind of does. But that's the only way I can describe it.
Im not sure why, but I just love the part in Death Metal where he screams ''Kill them pigs'' and it goes straight into the solo.

Awesome stuff.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Im not sure why, but I just love the part in Death Metal where he screams ''Kill them pigs'' and it goes straight into the solo.

Awesome stuff.

My favorite part like that is in beginning music 'The Exorcist'. Even that intro sounds creepy, then it blasts into an all out Death Metal slaughter.