I bought a Dean Dime-o-Flame guitar yesterday and it has this black electrical tape like stuff on the top pickup. It came from Guitar Center so it got raped by all the dimebag fans. The tape is all bubbly and looks really tacky. Can anyone tell me why it is on there and can I take it off. I was told it was on there and it should stay but it's really bothering me. Also, on my trem. inside of one of the string mechanism holder things, the little square thing is cracked and half of it fell out. Can this hurt my guitar if I play it like that?
maby there's something wrong with the pickup and they masked it
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I didn't even think about that, but that is how they all came from GC. All of the Dean's on the site have it too. Mine just looks like a kindergardener taped it or whatever.
From what I read the tape is so the strings don't make contact with the pole pieces when using the whammy.
The tape is there because dimebag put it on all of his guitars; the idea is that when you're doing whammy bar stunts like Dime was a huge fan of doing the slack strings can't get caught under the pickup. I know it sound like the sort of thing that's a little unlikely but it happened to me once when I was doing a divebomb on my S470.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The tape is there because dimebag put it on all of his guitars; the idea is that when you're doing whammy bar stunts like Dime was a huge fan of doing the slack strings can't get caught under the pickup. I know it sound like the sort of thing that's a little unlikely but it happened to me once when I was doing a divebomb on my S470.

Yeah, I heard that too about it getting caught under the pickup, it has happend a few times before to someone i know. You would think that coming from Dean, that it would be done a little better. the tape looks really bad.
Quote by PanteraKatie
Yeah, I heard that too about it getting caught under the pickup, it has happend a few times before to someone i know. You would think that coming from Dean, that it would be done a little better. the tape looks really bad.

Well to me it never really looked that good anyway but it serves a practical purpose so you could re-tape it yourself? Or just ignore it
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1