i have my laptop and the old monitor from my old desktop.

when i plug the monitor into the laptop. the same screen comes up on both but everything goes really big and crappy looking.

i want to have it so i can be running one program on one screen and a different one on the other.

or to have a real big desktop or whatever.

how do i get it so its the one screen covering both.

and how do i prevent it from going big, eg, icons, toolbar, start bar.

thanks heaps.
Increase the resolution on the other screen, they may be set differently.

EDIT: If your using XP you want to right click your desktop, select properties, then go to the Settings tab, that should show both your moniters. There you can change the resolution on them and check the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this moniter" button.
You may need to upgrade your graphics card in your laptop to one that can run two monitors with different screens.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
If you've got anything before Vista try right clicking on your desktop and hit properties. Go over to the settings tab and then see if you can see two monitors in the little gray box. If you do, you're in business. Just click on the dull monitor and check "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" box. From this tab you can adjust each screens resolution too. Hope this helps.
Quote by Hells_Bassist
If you've got anything before Vista try right clicking on your desktop and hit properties. Go over to the settings tab and then see if you can see two monitors in the little gray box. If you do, you're in business. Just click on the dull monitor and check "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" box. From this tab you can adjust each screens resolution too. Hope this helps.

i have vista. but i can still get to this page. problem is, once i click on the extend my windows desktop button i cant click the apply button cause it is down the bottom of the screen and since everything is so big, it doesnt fit. =(

i need to work out why everything goes so big, before i work out how to get it on both screens.

but thanks heaps.
Wow i wish i had another screen. Its so useful.

I use it at school with logic and being able to have a mixer window on one screen and the arrange window in the other is a godsend!!
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by cheese_weasel
You may need to upgrade your graphics card in your laptop to one that can run two monitors with different screens.

That's only possible in 0.0001% of laptops.