Sorry, this is going to be the dumbest question on here ever...lol....

The last guide I was reading to read music put an "x" on strings I WAS NOT SUPPOSE TO PLAY....

This site uses x to mark your fingers on which string/fret to hold down.....

On some chords it lists an "o" on certain strings.....usually the "e" and/or "E"

Does this "o" mean NOT to play that string while strumming? Sorry, just want to be clear.
For tabs? When an 0 is put on a tab, it means to play an open string.

e|-0- <--- That means to play an open e string.
B|---
G|---
D|---
A|---
E|---
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Same as chords. When you see an "O" it means you play that open string (don't put your finger down on any frets).
e ---|---|---|---|---|
B -x-|---|---|---|---|
G ---|---|---|---|---|
D ---|-x-|---|---|---|
A ---|---|-x-|---|---|
E ---|---|-o-|---|---|

this is what I'm talking about.......there's x, o, and nothing.....

x is where to put the fingers......so what is the nothing....I mean...it's not like i can NOT play the G during that strum, so why is there not an o there?
Quote by kyleghanson
e ---|---|---|---|---|
B -x-|---|---|---|---|
G ---|---|---|---|---|
D ---|-x-|---|---|---|
A ---|---|-x-|---|---|
E ---|---|-o-|---|---|

this is what I'm talking about.......there's x, o, and nothing.....

x is where to put the fingers......so what is the nothing....I mean...it's not like i can NOT play the G during that strum, so why is there not an o there?

Not true. This chord requires you to mute the G string with the finger you use to fret the D string OR mute it using one of your free fingers. You know what I mean?
hey, not sure if i agree with leephan, the chord seems to be a C chord, therefore you would play the G and high E string, im not sure about the 0 on the bottom E third fret, possible means fret with thumb, (though i've been playing for 12ish years and never seen that way of putting it, then again i dont play much in the way of chords)
^ Yeah, I think that is a C chord. But shouldn't the G and E string have an "O" on them as well?

This is what the C chord diagram should look like:

e|0|-|-|-|
B|1|-|-|-|
G|0|-|-|-|
D|-|2|-|-|
A|-|-|3|-|
E|0|-|-|-|

Chord diagrams are usually vertical by the way. The numbers tell you what finger you use to fret that note. O means open string, and an X would mean that string is not played.
Last edited by leephan at May 10, 2008,
hey that would make sense, what seems strange is that the 0 is on the third fret, if it was written as u have above it would make sense, its just the way it is put at the top seems strange, might just be a bad tabber but not sure what he means exactly, could be as i said that the third fret of low e is fretted with the left hand thumb (if left handed), see what soudns right
Quote by Logz
Wouldn't that "o" be the root note?

that would make the chord G/C, but yeah i guess could be, would make more sense than what i was saying :P
you have a chord diagram with x's and o's, the nothings are open strings and the o's are optional strings...notes you can add to the chord if you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
you have a chord diagram with x's and o's, the nothings are open strings and the o's are optional strings...notes you can add to the chord if you want.

This makes the most sense actually.....because I see it in a variety of listings here on the site......

And it's on random frets too......so I guess Optional makes sense....

More examples from this song --->>

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bright_eyes/its_cool_we_can_still_be_friends_crd.htm

e ---|---|---|---|---|
B -x-|---|---|---|---|
G ---|-x-|---|---|---|
D ---|---|-x-|---|---|
A ---|---|-o-|---|---|
E -x-|---|---|---|---|

e -o-|---|---|---|---|
B ---|---|-x-|---|---|
G ---|---|-x-|---|---|
D ---|---|-x-|---|---|
A -x-|---|---|---|---|
E -o-|---|---|---|---|

It's on tons of different songs by different artists and different tabbbers......
By the looks of it I'd say that the tabber has a wierd way of writing things out and those 'o's are in fact muted strings, that would make more sense on the C chord because the mute bass string means it is just a C chord not a C/G or a C/E. Also the tabbed chords above lead me to believe that it is muted rather than open or optional.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.