HAIL BRETHERNS!

I dont know why guitars have several pickups, I mean, for example I have 1 sucky 200 EUR guitar with 3 pickups, 1 at neck 1 at bridge 1 at middle. I change pickups while I play but I cant notice any difference in the sound.

Maybe thats because my guitar is crap?

Can someone please enlighten me and let me know the use of several pickups?
What amp do you have? That can have a lot of effect on your sound also.
Quote by Gacel
HAIL BRETHERNS!

I dont know why guitars have several pickups, I mean, for example I have 1 sucky 200 EUR guitar with 3 pickups, 1 at neck 1 at bridge 1 at middle. I change pickups while I play but I cant notice any difference in the sound.

Maybe thats because my guitar is crap?

Can someone please enlighten me and let me know the use of several pickups?

Well, flicking the switch on your guitar's pickup selector will change your tone, the pickup closest to the neck will give a bassier tone and the one closest to the bridge will give you a more trebley tone. Why?

There's more wood around the neck pickup so that the sound picked up by the pickup by the string's vibration will be generally bassier in comparison to the bridge one since there's more wood for the sound to vibrate around.
How long you been playing? It might take a couple of weeks/months for your ears to really start noticing tone (it worked like that for me).

That, or your amp isn't that great.
Gear:
M'Gerada classical guitar (first crappy guitar)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (sold)
Laney 15w SS (sold)
Cheapo Aldi Acoustic
Pocket Pod (borken)
Ibanez RGR421
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by Moe.
It'd be the amp, or you're tone deaf.

Not hearing timbre has nothing to do with tone-deafness.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
my amp is a "Smarvo GA-4010RC", never tried any other, so tbh i dont know the difference.

started playing 12 years ago, but mostly spanish guitar (no pickups ), but i started playing electric seriously a few months ago, so I have tons of questions about it!
There are different pickups to accentuate different areas of the string vibration. The string vibrates best if you play about where the neck pickup is. That's why the neck pickup will give you a rounder, fatter sound. The tension of the string is higher when you play towards the bridge. That's why the vibration of the string is smaller and the neck pickup will bring out that high, twangy sound.
Try playing something low with each pickup individually and play over the selected pickup to accent its qualities. Then play something high and do the same thing. Play the same thing with each pickup so you can hear the difference. Holding out a long note while you move the pickup selector back and forth probably won't teach you what it does.
Got Bass?
depends on the amp. or you have an untrained ear. or the different pickups are the same or very similar
Quote by apak
depends on the amp. or you have an untrained ear. or the different pickups are the same or very similar

i think it shouldnt matter if pickups are the same, many guitars have the same pickups in bridge and neck and still they should sound different.

if i understood what ppl posted, the sound you get depends on the amount of wood around the pickup.