solo's how the hell do ya do em. ive learnt solos and scales and ive tried playing random notes from scales (like slayer lol) but it dosent seem to work. i dont understand why u have to play in a key over a chord progression this seems too cluttered to me. btw i like metallica learnt quite alot of solos by them but how do u improvise them?

thanks guys
Quote by gooooog
i dont understand why u have to play in a key over a chord progression this seems too cluttered to me.

Because else, it usually sounds like ****.
Quote by gooooog
ive tried playing random notes from scales (like slayer lol) but it dosent seem to work. i dont understand why u have to play in a key over a chord progression this seems too cluttered to me.
thanks guys

I'm sure you've heard people who are singing and they got the tune all wrong with notes going everyone and it just sounds terrible...that's what "random" playing without a key is like.

Playing in a key SOUNDS good...it is pleasant to the ear. Now someone might come in and go..."but slayer is random notes but sounds kickasss." It may sound kick-ass and rocking but take out the drums, bass, vocals. Pull the notes from the guitar and now try to sing the guitar notes...not so pleasant anymore.

Don't worry, playing in key is far from cluttered. What I suggest now is try find a backing track, find out what key it is in. Eg, A Minor, then just play the A Minor Pentatonic up and down in time with the track and you'll begin to feel the melody. It's simple, (probably incredibly boring for you competent guitarists out there with your exotic scales and all :P), but it is nice to hear and it fits.

In time you'll develop your phrasing a lot better as you learn more scales, modes, licks, riffs, etc. Just keep at it
Gear:
M'Gerada classical guitar (first crappy guitar)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (sold)
Laney 15w SS (sold)
Cheapo Aldi Acoustic
Pocket Pod (borken)
Ibanez RGR421
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
to go off what reck said a good song to practice A minor in is dont forget me by the chili peppers
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
'Nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape.'
look at the tippy top of this page, click on lessons.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by gooooog
yeah but also where do u go to get learn scales

Musicians Talk forum Theory Sticky....also the Crusade articles in the Columns section.

And expect it to take a while, this is a lot like learning a language so it's not an instant process...this isn't The Matrix.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
PENTATONIC SCALE USE THE BOX!!! seriously play any note and do bends. i'm a noob and i can do that.
pento owns all other scales for solos. Its tell the listener everything with out revealing anything. And chuck in some minor notes and you ull be kick ass 70s sound
not just regular pentatonic...BLUES PENTATONIC man! I swear, there has never been such a simple yet useful scale for anything, also, learn your 12 keys bro, and when you put on a backing track, the beginning note or chord is the key, so that should be your starting point in the scale, then move on from there, and just find things that fit.
hey sorry for tryin to hijack the thread, but .. say i come up with a riff... how do i know what key im in? lol... dont flame me... i never learnt much theory... is it something like the chord thats repeated the most? or the first one??
i think the best solo tip i can give you after u learn a
good scale is to simply look at a solo as a bunch of
small licks. If you listen to some of the most memorable
solos in history..you will notice that the solos are built
in sections..

After a lot of practice (years)...then you can do some
David Gilmour type stuff without sounding like a bastard
child of a jazz musician. Jazz can be great..but bad jazz
..oh no...

\m/ Rock on!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by apak
PENTATONIC SCALE USE THE BOX!!! seriously play any note and do bends. i'm a noob and i can do that.

Don't just rely on "the box" and playing "any note". It's much more beneficial to learn the notes and intervals of the scales.
If you play the scales enough, improvisation will come naturally. The easiest being the pentatonic.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
almost anyone can sing a guitar solo to something, your voice just knows where to go next, you have to play the scales so much that your fingers just know where to go next. You know what each note sounds like, you feel what comes next and you just do it. It's a strange thing to imagine but just keep playing the pentatonic scales to backing tracks and LISTEN to the backing track.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.