I read somewhere that tuning a guitar down and leaving it that way will cause the neck to warp over time since guitars are built to handle a certain pressure on the fretboard.

Is there any truth to this?
Quote by Smidgey
I read somewhere that tuning a guitar down and leaving it that way will cause the neck to warp over time since guitars are built to handle a certain pressure on the fretboard.

Is there any truth to this?

In a way there is; it's is true that if you leave a guitar with a small (low gauge) set of strings tuned down damage can be done over time but if you like it that way you can have the neck set up for that kind of tension (truss rod adjustment etc...) and also you can use heavier strings to keep the tension up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the trussrod runs through the neck and is under tension to counteract the tension from the strings. it is pulling the neck 'backwards'. if left untuned, it would therefore cause the neck to go convex at the fingerboard, but only after some period of time. it's OK to leave it untuned for short periods of time.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
the trussrod runs through the neck and is under tension to counteract the tension from the strings. it is pulling the neck 'backwards'. if left untuned, it would therefore cause the neck to go convex at the fingerboard, but only after some period of time. it's OK to leave it untuned for short periods of time.

Yes, but all you have to do is slightly adjust the truss rod and it won't warp the neck at all.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Yes, but all you have to do is slightly adjust the truss rod and it won't warp the neck at all.

btw, your profile pic has proberly slayed thousands of epilepsy sufferers.
Lol
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
if you dont set up your guitar to that tuning. same with string gauge. bridge height i think. need djustments to truss rod and intonation if you wanna do that