Hi
Our school is giving us 2 options for next year (I'm in 10th grade). One is to study 6 subjects in 11th-12th grade and one is to study 8 subjects. They said that some universities, colleges or countries require 6 and some 8. I'm thinking of studying in Australia and just need to know, how many high school subjects do universities/colleges in Australia require? I was going to search about it in Google, but didn't know what to type in. I really need an answer to this, as I have to choose tomorrow.
I'd really appreciate any extra info. or comments about this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance
you have it a bit mixed up.

you get into your course at uni based on your uai (university admission index), which is just a number from 30 - 100 based on your 10 best units at school.
you can do between 10 and about 16 or 18 units, but you would have to be an idiot to do more than 13.
normally, subjects carry 2 units each with the exception of extension classes (so you can do english advanced - 2 units, or english extension - which is english advanced plus 1 extension unit) and some other classes which you probably wont be taking.

so your school is making you do 6 subjects which add to 12 units, or you can take maths extension and/or english extension which is sort of (but not really) 8 subjects which add to 13/14 units.

edit:

just out of interest, where are you from, and why do you want to study here?
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Last edited by instagata0 at May 10, 2008,
i have one word for you, apprenticeship. or at least thats what i'm doing next year.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
i have one word for you, apprenticeship. or at least thats what i'm doing next year.

i dont think he's going to come to australia to get an apprenticeship.

what are you getting one for?
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Well, I'm from the United Arab Emirates, Dubai. I just wanna get out of here and study abroad, I know that education in Australia is way better, my brother is also going to come if I were to go, he's going to study for MBA. I'm interested in studying business, I'm not sure which specific field though.
Quote by Roookie
Hi
Our school is giving us 2 options for next year (I'm in 10th grade). One is to study 6 subjects in 11th-12th grade and one is to study 8 subjects. They said that some universities, colleges or countries require 6 and some 8. I'm thinking of studying in Australia and just need to know, how many high school subjects do universities/colleges in Australia require? I was going to search about it in Google, but didn't know what to type in. I really need an answer to this, as I have to choose tomorrow.
I'd really appreciate any extra info. or comments about this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance

It really depends on what state your uni is in, as every state has a different standard of grading for uni entrance. In Western Australia for example, your 'TER' is a score on an index against all other students and is usually the prerequisite to admission in a course. Of course the uni's accept other standards of scores, but it gets a bit complicated from there.

Most unis have a pretty good site for what you'll need.

This is my uni's for international students: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/International-students/Murdoch-entry-requirements/Gaining-entry-to-Murdoch-University/

On the checklist thing on that site, it says for UAE to study Finance you'll need one of these:

1. Minimum WA University Foundation Program score of 53

2. Minimum International Baccalaureate (Diploma) score of 24

3. Minimum Tertiary Entrance Rank (TER)/SAM of 65

4. Successful completion of Australian Certificate IV

5. Minimum GCE 'A' level score of 6 [a="5, B = 4, C = 3, D = 2, E = 1"]

If your high school qualification is not listed please contact Murdoch International

If you go on the site it has details for how to get one of these qualifications.
Quote by tborsje
It really depends on what state your uni is in, as every state has a different standard of grading for uni entrance. In Western Australia for example, your 'TER' is a score on an index against all other students and is usually the prerequisite to admission in a course. Of course the uni's accept other standards of scores, but it gets a bit complicated from there.

Most unis have a pretty good site for what you'll need.

This is my uni's for international students: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/International-students/Murdoch-entry-requirements/Gaining-entry-to-Murdoch-University/

On the checklist thing on that site, it says for UAE to study Finance you'll need one of these:

If you go on the site it has details for how to get one of these qualifications.

ohh yeah. i forgot that it was different outside of new south wales.

if you can get in though, i recommend the university of sydney above all else.

im not sure how they go taking in people from outside of australia though. i imagine that it would be very difficult since they wont even take people in from other universities (you have to start your degree again - you cant transfer there).

very very highly regarded, and a very VERY nice place to study.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

^ Are you kidding? Australia accepts massive amounts of international students, as they are required to pay full fees whereas Australian citizens have their educations subsidized (slightly). Melbourne University, for example, has been copping a lot of flak for giving former HECS (government subsidized) places to full fee paying internationals. My best advice to the TS is to contact any universities you may be interested in, and ask them your entrance requirements. They will be more than happy to accept your money!
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
I undertook a bachelor of science majoring in psychology at Melbourne Uni and thought it was really well taken. The lecturers and course coordinators were all leaders in the field with their work getting published in journals regularly, and the administrative side was well handled too. The only gripe I had with it (but quickly overcame when I realized it was preferable to me) was its scientific approach to the subject, as opposed to Freudian psychoanalysis and all that arty stuff. I can't speak for any other unis but I thought Melbourne Uni did it very well.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
In Victoria (as i am aware anyway) you need to do 10 Unit 3+4 Units in total. At my school, everyone who wants to go to uni has done 6 subjects (12 units), but have completed a subjects (or sometimes two) that is equivelant to units 3+4 after year 11. Don't do 8 subjects in a year, I'm doing 5 and that sucks enough. Also, certain subjects get scaled up due to difficulty and average results during the year, so if you can do any more difficult subjects, for instance Maths Methods instead of Futher Maths (or your equivelants), you have a greater chance of getting the required ENTER score to get your course.
NowALLthatZlefti$theFamE