When you re-string your bass, does your neck warp to high hell too? I've heard that when the strings loosen up a tad, they will return your neck to its original bow, is this true?
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
I would post pictures, but I can't seem to find my camera, But lets say I put some medium guage strings on. It warps so that the strings are about a half an inch higher from the fretboard. I was wondering if I need to take to the shop or if it will fix itself.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
medium guage. So, Take it to the shop?
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
There shouldn't be a significant difference in tension between new strings and old strings of the same gage. Sounds like there's something seriously wrong. Are you using a tuner - you're not tuned stupidly high or something? Is the neck join nice and tight?
My neck joint is fine, and I always tune standard for new strings.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
I'm just grasping for straws here.

Is it... possible your saddles got 'accidentally adjusted' (what are the chances) while your strings were off? Or... maybe your truss rod, especially if you have a wheel-adjustable...?

I mean, I have no idea, just trying everything here.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
If it's what i'm thinking, this happened to me once. I changed strings from the factory-set ones on my bass, and when when I put the new strings on, my neck was overbowed, & the bass was practically unplayable. I manually had to loosen the truss rod a smidgen, but when I did it played perfect, & better then ever before.

I think the older strings just had more tension than the newer ones.
Quote by lil_jahnbassman
If it's what i'm thinking, this happened to me once. I changed strings from the factory-set ones on my bass, and when when I put the new strings on, my neck was overbowed, & the bass was practically unplayable. I manually had to loosen the truss rod a smidgen, but when I did it played perfect, & better then ever before.

I think the older strings just had more tension than the newer ones.

you might be right, It is the first change since shipped, (about 4 months ago.)
I've never played with truss rods, but I've always thought tightening the truss = less bow, and loosening = more bow. But I might be wrong.

Edit: I'm also trying to get less bow, by the way.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at May 10, 2008,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's right. Try the losening the rod a touch. Although that still shouldn't happen if you didn't change gauges.

Sorry, but I don't understand. By loosening the truss rod, it will reduce bow?
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
oh, hell yes.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100