Hi. I need Your help UG. I had a 62' reissue American Strat for an over a year. I had to sell it. Now I'm want again to have something good for RHCP. I'm not quite sure if I want a Strat again and I don't have any chance to play a Tele. John Frusciante used to use Tele somewhere in 2004 a lot but in 2006/2007 (SA Tour) He played mainly on his Strats.

So could You help me to choose which guitar is better for John Frusciante's sound, Fender Standard Strat or Fender Standard Telecaster...

I also want to know if Tele is warmer or more trebly than Stratocaster. What kind of sound I could achieve with it.

Thanks, have a nice day. Karol. :-)
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
if it's rhcp you wanna sound like go for the tele!
i's warmer, not as trebly, but it can be (depending on what pickup config. it has and what pickups you put into it)
and it's awesome looking! esp. in the vintage sunburst finish
R.I.P brother dime

Reppin for the new york death metal scene
what makes a man?balls and weiner my friends, balls and weiner
yeah dude. go with the tele. its a more versatile sound and its way warmer than a strat
wait a minute, fez. this isn't like the time you bought a hamster, named it virginity, and then lost it, is it? - kelso on that 70s show
^ yeah, that's what I'd choose for the color... vintage 3 color sunburst
It's great that it's warmer...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Er.
Teles go in both extremes: The neck pickup is really warm, and the bridge is twangy and trebley.
I'd go for the tele, seeing as how John seems to sound his best on one IMO, though most of his work is with a strat.
go for tele.. john uses it when he plays live, (he uses lots of guitars on albums)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
it can be warmer or tebbly, you can go with either one, rhcp just uses a fender sound altogether so............youre good, im not sure what kinda strat johnny uses though.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
if i were u i wud go for a strat, cuz he uses one so it sounds like him and teles are more like rythym guitars and guitar that you sing with, strats are more like lead guitars.
plus my user name is strat dude so you can see that in my opinion, stratocasters are the best
Be carefull. I have a Blade Delta Classic. it is a tele. it is great. when i bought it, my friend that works at the musicshop told me this:
Man your guitar sounds much better than ant Fender reissue Tele, and it is much closer to the Original Fender tele sound, even though it is a Blade.

It's true that the tele reissues of Fender suck a bit...
As for the comparison to a Strat, i'd say go for the tele. but think about the tremolo need. Cause most of the teles dont have any. i dont use it so i dont mind but think about it carefully...
^ yeah, that's a little problem for me... I love having fun with feedback and so on so tremolo is a nice thing to have... I found a nice site where I could buy Strat Classic 50's in Fiesta Red but with maple fretboard and that sucks. I'd like to have a rosewood fretboard and as far as I know Teles have maple fretboard (Mexican).
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Quote by cincygrungeking
yeah dude. go with the tele. its a more versatile sound and its way warmer than a strat

Wrong. Teles are not "way warmer" and Strats and Teles are equally versatile (regardless of pickup options), IMO.

I personally prefer Strats. I find them much more comfortable and I like the sound a bit more, but you should try to find a Tele to play if you can so you can decide for yourself. Also, for RHCP, I think a Strat would be better.
I have to agree with CrustPunk. I have an American Strat and a lite ash tele and honestly I don't think the tele is "way warmer" at all. In the bridge I would even say that my tele has more of a treble/twang to it than the bridge of my strat does. I will say that neck to neck, the tele is warmer. I personally like teles better but that is me. Try them both out and find out for yourself. The traits that I like in a tele (better than a strat) are:

1. Pure looks...dead sexy IMO...no better looking guitar out there.
2. Simplicity. I love having one volume knob and one tone knob with a simple 3-way switch.
3. I love the location of the input jack.
4. I like 2 pickup guitars better. I tend to pick right in the middle of the strings and if I am going too fast and with the pickup set up right below the strings like I like, I feel that the middle pickup of a strat gets in the way. Granted that could be solved by better technique.
5. Thinner neck works better for my hands most of the time.
6. Did I mention looks?

NOTE: I don't think either would be better than the other for RHCP. Both are very versatile guitars. On the other hand, 90% of the pics out there that I have seen show Frusciante on a strat.
~Nick
Last edited by ccrnnr9 at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Karol1701
^ yeah, that's a little problem for me... I love having fun with feedback and so on so tremolo is a nice thing to have... I found a nice site where I could buy Strat Classic 50's in Fiesta Red but with maple fretboard and that sucks. I'd like to have a rosewood fretboard and as far as I know Teles have maple fretboard (Mexican).

well maple fretbox aint bad at all...
If ya like tremoloing then don't buy the tele... how much do ya plan to spend on each? i'd like to compare it with my own tele...
Thanks guys for Your opinions... I think I'll go the bigger city and play Tele first... then I'll think about it and buy one of those two... now the winner is Tele...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
if you liked the tones you got with the strat stick with it

but tele's are sick lol

idk it seems back in the day he used his tele in alot of the live shows but mother's milk era and bssm he used mainly strats and i think a jag.

jag's are sick too lol get that

idk im more or less rambling i hope i made your decision easier i highly doubt i did thougb

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
if you liked the tones you got with the strat stick with it

but tele's are sick lol

idk it seems back in the day he used his tele in alot of the live shows but mother's milk era and bssm he used mainly strats and i think a jag.

jag's are sick too lol get that

idk im more or less rambling i hope i made your decision easier i highly doubt i did thougb

John used a 1966 custom tele i think if im right vintage sunburst, do you mean this one in this video? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js9u9OyaYqk

He also used mustangs as well i think you can find the 1965 reissue mustangs for around £499 (sorry if your american) so i think thats about $985 USD. I believe these mustangs can make quite a great sound.