Page 1 of 2
Dear All,

I've recently started to have some interest in learning bass guitar.

I'll be having my first bass lesson next friday.

So prior to the lesson, i would like to know if Bass guitar is similar to guitar,( in terms of techniques,Not sound)

ANd i am I right that bass has no chords?

and what's the difference between finger picking and pick picking?

And if you had $1500 which bass guitar would you buy?

and if you had $500 which amp would you buy?

Thanks for your help.

PS: i've been playing guitar for a about a year, and i am a very fast learner.
Bass is similar in some ways to guitar, but very different. Think of it as a new instrument and you won't fail miserably. Yes, bass has chords, although they're rarer than on guitar. Finger playing you play with your fingers and pick playing you play with a pick. How long you've been playing guitar is irrelevant, however being a fast learner will serve you well in any field.
From a noob to a noob.

Bass isn't like guitar at all in technique, unless you're talking pick, updownupdown.

Bass has chords.

Finger - mellow, fingery sound, girl will love you for it. Pick - sharp sound, you know its a pick sound, 'cool' to look at.

As for the $$ questions...I can't answer them, 'cos I haven't had a chance to touch a 1.5k bass or 0.5k amp before. ):
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Your finger coordination from guitar will carry over to bass, though your fingers will need to get a bit stronger. More than the guitar technique, what you know about music in general will help you pick up bass faster. About the equipment, don't take any suggestions you get right now too seriously. You'll find out what your preferences are as you play bass more, then you can come back and ask again when you have a better idea of what you want.
Got Bass?
Quote by chriskhng
but isn't bass just playing the root note of the guitar chord?

It can be if that is what you choose and that is what's appropriate. But that's not very enjoyable or musical is it?

Slapping is a percussive style of playing where, instead of pulling the strings, you hit them onto the frets with your thumb, or you pull them up with your index or middle finger and let them snap down onto the frets.
Got Bass?
Last edited by DoctrDrew116 at May 10, 2008,
Quote by chriskhng
so can you briefly explain what a bass guitar can do ?

A bass guitar is basically the link between the rhythm and the melody.

A bass guitar can do anything you want. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at...?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
A bass guitar can do anything that any other musical instrument can do. However, it lends itself best to playing basslines that highlight the tonality of the music and bridge the gap between melody, harmony, and rhythm.
Got Bass?
Quote by chriskhng
can you list out some of the bass guitar techniques.

Fingerstyle,
Slap,
Pop,
Pick,
Tap,
Harmonics.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i mean the sound, the bassline. sometimes, it looks like he's unplugged or something.
Quote by chriskhng
I was looking at bass covers on youtube and i saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hc_DC5EWzw&feature=related

where's the bass?

The one on the right, which the guy points at the camera at the beginning.
It's the low sound on the intro solo - during the rhythm sections the bass gets a bit muffled.
Avenged Sevenfold are frankly terrible for adverts for the capabilities or qualities of bass playing.

If you want to know what the bass can DO, look to Geddy Lee (Rush), and some solo artists I'm sure other people can name.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Welcome the the world of bass and the forum. To quote George Clinton, "Free your mind and your mind will follow".

Ok let me explain. Bass is marginally similar to guitar, but in many, many ways different. You are now a true rhythm instrument player laying down the foundation and bridging the drums and the rest of the band. What you know on guitar is only marginally useful on your new instrument, and in fact can hold you back in learning. So Jazzy is right, forget what you learned on guitar and look at it as a new instrument.

Specific answers tho'. Bass players use both pick and fingers; neither is right or wrong and each has its time and place. Bass can have chords, but the shapes and approach to using them are different. On the bass / amp question--you'd be better off switching the cost. Your amp has much more to do with your overall sound than your bass. Get a good middle priced bass and a solid amp. But if I had to choose a bass in the 1500USD range, it would be an URGE II.

Just because you learned guitar quickly, it doesn't mean that you will pick up bass just as quickly. You've got the handicap of being a guitarist and you are inevitably going to try to translate everything you are learning on bass through the eyes of a guitarist, until you realize how really futile that is. And that's not just a anti-guitarist bass player sentiment, I made the same transition you are making. As a former guitarist it took me a while to finally start thinking like a bass player.

Good luck and stick around. We're here to help.
thanks anarkee.

that's the answer i was looking for in the first place.

So In equipment wise, Amp is more important than the bass guitar, just like guitar.

Thanks everyone.

But i still want to know where the sound of the bass is in the youtube video.
and if the bassist is being covered by the guitarist, does that mean he isn't a good bassist?
Quote by chriskhng
thanks anarkee.

So In equipment wise, Amp is more important than the bass guitar, just like guitar.

Thanks everyone.

The sound of the bass is being covered by the guitar sound on the most part. As I said, A7X songs aren't great adverts for bass in general anyway. The bass is heard best over the intro solo.

The bassist being covered by the guitarist means the EQ and amp settings for either or both of them are bad, so yes because he didn't bother to check. Also it's a youtube upload, don't expect too much.

This is great for showing many potential bass techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6LrVQwtcpI
Stu Hamm <3
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Last edited by Paul Lambeth at May 10, 2008,
WOW, after watching that stu Hamm youtube video, Bass looks hella hard assed and complicated

I think Bass is gonna be pretty cool!

but its gonna be hard quitting guitar.
Bass can come and go in the mix. It all depends on the sound engineer. And yes we can get buried in the mix.

On the video that Paul Lambeth posted, its a great example and though Mr. Hamm does not use a pick, he pretty much does every other style you can play on bass--including using chords.

I love County Music (life in hell) and Stuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

And chriskhng, don't double post. Its a forum no - no and one of my personal pet peeves as a moderator, btw..
Quote by chriskhng
WOW, after watching that stu Hamm youtube video, Bass looks hella hard assed and complicated

I think Bass is gonna be pretty cool!

but its gonna be hard quitting guitar.

Stu Hamm is legendary, yep. But that's mainly slapping and popping (two REALLY hard techniques) and great fingerstyle play. Check out some Rush - YYZ in particular too.

Quitting guitar :P?

I play guitar, bass and keyboard and I'm about to dedicate myself to violin. Just because the techniques for each are extremely different doesn't mean you have to quit anything.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Quote by chriskhng
when did i double post?

#24 and #25

Another point to remember is that girls dig bassists who try.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Double post means to post twice back to back. You did that on this page. If someone hasn't responded after your post edit the post using the handy dandy edit button. You see you posted.

Thanks anarkee.

Thanks everyone.

and then...

and if the bassist is being covered by the guitarist, does that mean he isn't a good bassist?

You should have just edited your first post with the second comment.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Another point to remember is that girls dig bassists who try.

Why? why not pianist or something else?

It is the Length of the neck? or something else?
Quote by chriskhng

Finger pick, dude. Fingerpick.

EDIT: Slap, tap too.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
i played guitar for about 2 years then picked up a bass and got used to the wider fret spacing and hey presto. well, just playing along to simple bass lines to compliment guitar, but i agree that although theyre quite similar, bass is used in a whole different way to make a song awesome.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by chriskhng

I would say "The low tone makes them vibrate", but I fear I'd get in trouble.

Its tone's warmer than most instruments (for me, anyway). And yes, do learn piano if you can, the range of that instrument is difficult to parallel.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

I'm not gonna learn piano, i already know how to play drum, and guitar. and i think i only want three instruments.

BTW i am checking some muse bass covers on youtube. Its pretty cool to now that you can find bass in any type of genre, and in almost every song after the 40s

EDIT: are there bends and tremolos on bass?
Last edited by chriskhng at May 10, 2008,
Bass is inherently sexy in and of itself. Just like Barry White's voice, ooh baby.

Pick up one learn to play and you're set. Give me a choice between Larry La Londe and Les Claypool, I'd pick a date with Les anytime

And yes there are bends and tremelos. God there's an extensive discussion on tremelos going on in another thread right now.
Quote by chriskhng
I'm not gonna learn piano, i already know how to play drum, and guitar. and i think i only want three instruments.

BTW i am checking some muse bass covers on youtube. Its pretty cool to now that you can find bass in any type of genre, and in almost every song after the 40s

EDIT: are there bends and tremolos on bass?

You can use bends, though bends are much harder to pull off because of the string tension than on guitar. Do you mean tremelo arms? Rarely, and to be honest most basses don't come with the option.

EDIT: But yes, people do use them :P as anarkee says.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Page 1 of 2