I went down to Guitar Center yesterday and played some guitars and amps with my friend. He and I both are looking for new guitars and I am looking for a LP. I played many models, an '05 Gibson Les Paul Standard with 60's neck through a Bassman reissue, which didn't impress me at all, and then another Gibson Standard that really blew me away. It was basically set up perfectly and had a dark and rich vintage style burst.

But anyways, I plugged both the Epi LP Custom and Standard (as well as a Standard Plus) into a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50 and played around on them. What I noticed was that the Custom was a bit muddier, but they essentially sounded the exact same. So since I can't afford a Gibson I am choosing between these two models. Not a real big difference in playability, so is the Custom really worth and extra $150 for the black and gold aesthetics? Because they sounded and played about the same, and the Custom is solid mahogany, while the Standard still has that nice carved top with the veneer.

High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at May 10, 2008,
Im really not a fan of epiphone and my recomendation is to get an ESP LTD model LP, but i think id go with the custom on looks and solid mahogony.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Honestly there isn't much of a difference between the two except price and looks. I would go with the standard if I were you, simply because you can upgrade the electronics later.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

is the Custom really worth and extra $150 for the black and gold aesthetics? Because they sounded and played about the same, and the Custom is solid mahogany, while the Standard still has that nice carved top with the veneer.

It seems to me that you preferred the Standard's looks
( and don't want to spend the extra $150 ). Go for the Standard then.
Well the Custom is all mahogany while the Standard Plus has that centimetre or so of flame maple on top that will give it a slightly brighter tone, though in theory that's at the cost of a fraction of sustain.

Really if you thought they sounded the same though then it just comes down to which you prefer the look of.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
id just get the Standard Plus. the gold on the Customs gonna look silverish soon anyway when it wears off

plus, how can you not want something that looks like this....

get the custom. i played it before and i think that it is an excellent guitar and it looks cooler than the standard and it is way worth the extra money. i just looked it up and it is just way better
Quote by nauc
id just get the Standard Plus. the gold on the Customs gonna look silverish soon anyway when it wears off

plus, how can you not want something that looks like this....

Its an Epiphone...get over it.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Its an Epiphone...get over it.

Epiphones are great guitars.

Quote by almostinnocent
get the custom. it is way worth the extra money. i just looked it up and it is just way better

How did you reach this conclusion? The only difference is gold hardware and block inlays. Also binding on the headstock. They are only aesthetic differences.
High as tits
I have the Custom, and I love it - I've only played a couple of other LPs that I thought could compete with it, and only one was anywhere near the low price.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
nauc, you have the only epi 'burst that doesn't look like **** (IMO). Congrats!
Quote by Slaytanic6606
We have a pyramid with an all seeing eye, and a menacing eagle with arrows in it's talons.
You have a duck.

PRS Custom 24
Peavey Windsor + 2x12
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
I own the Standard Plus, and it is fantastic. However, I've heard the craftsmanship of Customs is slightly better, so less chance of problems with the guitar. I'm not 100% sure on this though.
I have a Standard, and I also have a Turser copy.
I honestly play the Turser more.

As far as Standard vs. Custom, I'd say Standard unless you prefer block inlays.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I think the custom is slightly better built and is better quality...Plus it looks amazingly sexy
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Alright, here is what I have decided to do. I am selling three of my guitars and one of my amps, and I am going to get a Honeyburst Plaintop and an Epi Riviera instead of the custom.
High as tits
I would suggest trying out a Michael Kelly Patriot before you buy an Epi LP.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.