Page 1 of 3
Custom 7 String Superstrat Project

A Guitar Build By
admbwr

The Design:
I've been crafting design this for about a month now in turbocad, i love it.
There's going to be a few extras that wont be exactly like the blueprint, for comfort purposes.

Specs:
  • Body: Brazilian Mahogany
  • Neck: Brazilian Mahogany
  • Heel: Set Neck
  • Fretboard: Ebony
  • Scale length: 27"
  • Frets: 28
  • Pickups: EMG 707 & 81-7
  • Bridge: String Through Tune-0-matic
  • Electronics: 2 Volume, 3 way selector
  • Headstock: Custom ESP Style Reversed 7
  • Headstock Angle: 18 Degrees
  • Tuners: Hipshot
  • Colour:Flame Top mahogany back.

Wood:
i bought the Mahogany from ebay for the bargain price of £14, , its flat sawn brazilian mahogany, air dried for over 20 years. it measures 31"X 14" X 1.5", so i got enough for a neck and a body with quite a bit to spare, maybe even enough for some neckthrough sides
The top im going to get from Ebay USA.
Here is an image of the wood.

Progress:
So far, i have cut the neck blank from the piece as shown below.

I then cut the 18 degree headstock angle.

i have also glued the joint and routed for the truss rod, but no pictures as of yet.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at Sep 17, 2008,
looks good
are u sure the blackouts will work for a 7-string though?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
looks good
are u sure the blackouts will work for a 7-string though?

7 String ones will haha
its the angling im worried about though anyone got clarification on whether that will work
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
EVH has an angled PAF in the frankestrat and that works so it should

EDIT: they make 7-string Blackouts? u learn somthin new every day
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by admbwr
7 String ones will haha
its the angling im worried about though anyone got clarification on whether that will work

The Blackouts have blades instead of single poles, don't they? If so, it 'should' be fine!

This is going to be VERY cool. Are you doing a top carve too?

Oh, and where the **** did you get that mahogany from?! That's one hell of a steal!
That's gonna be so goregeus, I'm nursin' a semi!

looking good, my man!
------

Shwiggity.
i've been thinking about carving the top, if i get the top thick enough then yeah i am going to.
haha that phrase makes me laugh deftonesordie .

i was going to get an emg 707 for this build but its like £100 for one, wheras i can get the 7 String Blackouts for £90 for them both

edit: i've been for a few interviews and stuff recently so if i get a job i might even go for origional floyd rose 7
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
u have the bridge listed as an LFR, but on the blueprint it shows a TOM? or is that just one of the changes u said were gonna be made to the blueprint?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
yeah well at first the plan was to go with hardtail but i thought if im having more range with an extra string i might as well go the extra mile and get a trem onit too.

also, no pickup rings either the new style blackouts you can direct mount them, ill route out a nice snug pocket for them when i order them
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
ok then
*subscribed*
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
This looks like its gunna be sweet.
I say make it a carved top, but why are you ordering it from the US?
With shipping and import costs, it will come to about the same as ordering it from the UK.

Love the finger grips on the back of the upper horn.

good luck man, be keeping track with this
Looking ace! Inspired at all by the Ormsby multiscale?

Anyway, at bridges, is this your only 7-string? Because I find that the 7-string is often nice to use for custom tunings, such as drop A, drop AD, drop B (i.e. raised E string to an F#) and so on. You can mess around with the 7th string but still have a regularly tuned 6-string with that. If this is your only 7-string I'd personally go with a non-locking trem/hardtail so you'd keep these possibilities.

Maybe something like a Wilkinson trem with locking tuners?

Either way, looking good!
tomR : im ordering from the us becuase i can get a nice top for about £6 and then about £10 delivery, wheras if i got one over here it would cost me about £70 delivered. and cheers about the finger grips i got the idea from herman li's signature ibanez, but changed it about to give it some origionality

Aziraphale: yes it kind of is inspired by the ormsby multiscale, and many other of his builds, his videos taught me alot making me want to start up on this project.
and yes it will be my only 7 string, but not my main guitar, i plan on using it for when im better at sweeping and whatnot so i can achieve all sorts of sounds, i've played an ibanez 7 string so i plan on making the neck similar to the ibanez 7's.
and for the crazy tunings i've been thinking of that and then figuring a way of having it set up in BEADGBE when floating, but then making some kind of block for the trem to play in other tunings, just means i can't try out different tunings with the trem.

edit: i'd probably just leave it in standard tuning haha, but hairdtails still a possibility
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at May 10, 2008,
You could just get a tremol-no, or maybe a Kahler hybrid so you can lock the bridge if you want to?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
i've been watching this video comparing kahler to flord rose and it seems that kahler goes out of tune easily, im still not sure on the bridge yet, i want to go floyd but i want to change around tunings and whatnot also, hmmmm decisions well i wont be getting the bridge until i've got the body and neck all finished up anyways so thats plenty of time.

also im glad people are liking this, i was expecting the design to get slated or something.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
i've been watching this video comparing kahler to flord rose and it seems that kahler goes out of tune easily, im still not sure on the bridge yet, i want to go floyd but i want to change around tunings and whatnot also, hmmmm decisions well i wont be getting the bridge until i've got the body and neck all finished up anyways so thats plenty of time.

also im glad people are liking this, i was expecting the design to get slated or something.

I have to say, that I'm not a fan of seven strings. The design is pretty much flawless though, and follows KISS nicely.
Quote by admbwr

My PRS Custom has a strat-style bridge with six screws combined with locking tuners, and I can do quite a bit of wails and dives with it without going out of tune at all. Sure I can't press the strings down to fluttering-rubberband level, but these extreme Floyd moves are just party tricks, it gets boring and is much less useful than having the tuning flexibility of a standard trem.

Aside from the PRS trem, there's the Wilkinson VS100, the bridge on John Petrucci's EBMM guitars, and I guess there are a rather good amount of flexible trems that aren't locking. And for more range you could always take out a spring or two from the back.

- edit - The first video on my profile shows a bit of trem use on the PRS, you could check it out to se if it's something you'd like.
^ well you've given me alot to think about, i apreciate it, i could have ended up with something i hate, like i said ill try and find a way of blocking the trem so i can change tunings, but all of the stuff like that will be considered more seriously when i've got the major construction done, shouldnt be as long as my other build either as i've got tools and skills this time around haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr

Concentrated awesome

Subscribed.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i got a bit done today:
i unclamped, then realised the gap between the neck and headstock was quite large and it wouldnt have been big enough of my headstock design, so i tore it off and started again. this time round i trimmed the neck down from 35mm down to 23mm, leaving the heel bit at 35mm for the set neck.
i then cut off some more mahogany from my other block, and trimmed that down to 17mm.
then glued it all together, the fit is nice and snug on this one too, so ill have a look at it tomorow, ill take some pictures when i've unclamped it tomorow.

next job is probably installing the ebony strip for stability and aesthetics, does anybody know if craft supplies sell ebony neck laminates ? and how much they are ?
going to get the fretboard too when i order the ebony.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^ They aren't in their catalogue...
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
seller id thing is : woodelf41
i think they only had two or something because i missed out on one they had up on ebay so i messaged them and they said they had another.

cheers mintsauce, £26 is abit steep for 6mm worth of ebony for my liking, ill give craft supplies a call tomorow.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
alright people, i figured this needed some pictures so heres what i've done:
i re did the headstock angle a third time becuase i wasnt happy with it, and third time lucky, this ones probably about as perfect as i could get it:

i then routed the slot for the ebony strip:

i then tested it with a strip of paduak.

the wood isnt burnt btw, when i changed around the hue and stuff in ps it just looks black haha

i've sent out a few emails about flame tops and a baritone fretboard but have had no replies as of yet. im getting £150 ($300) next week to spend on this build, i need to buy a truss rod, a fretboard(which im hoping david dyke can slot me a 27.5" with 26 frets, im waiting on an email, if anyone else can do this for me please get in touch) and an ebony strip for my neck a hand plane and some mdf for my body template and maybe a flame or quilt top (which i really need before i start the body), then depending on how much i have left i might get the blackouts but i doubt it, but thenagain theres always next months pay of £600 ($1200) to finish off getting the bits for this build.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
You're starting another one? Haha, you're brave. Hows it been going man? I haven't talked to you in a while because i've been preoccupied with other things.
Nice projectm hoe it turns out good.

Btw,

150.00 EUR

=

233.296 USD
its £ not euro and its exactly $293.657 to £150.
hey dog, yeah im starting another, this ones all from scratch entirely built by me though, i feel i have alot more skill and stuff to make something decent this time round, i mean it might look abit rough at the moment but when i've got the fretboard and stuff i just know this will look awsome haha and yeah things is good, you ? haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
no updates, just thought i'd let everyone know whats going on with this up to now.
well im in the process of negotiating some postage costs on an ebony fretboard, i decided to go baritone on this for the extra tension, im now going for a 27" scale, the fretboards got 28 frets, but ill end up cutting some off, im getting that many just to be sure, but it could end up with 28 frets.
also, i can't seem to find a piece of ebony big enough for the 20mm ebony skunk stripe im having running down my neck, so if anyone has or knows of where i can get a 20" X 1" X 1" piece of jet black ebony, please do let me know.

if i cant find a piece thats right, i might have to go with ziricote.

other than that all plans up to now are unchanged, still going kahler, still going with blackouts, just waiting on the money for those.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at May 30, 2008,
right, so i f*cked up the origional neck so i bought a new mahogany blank from jscustoms, nice piece of wood, so i started this again on monday and this is where ive got to so far...
basically it needs a fretboard and the neck will need shaping out properly when i get the fretboard to get it at the right thickness, so here we go

headstock shaped up roughly

back of headstock/ volute

this shows the scarf joint off quite well

the heel is really rough at the moment, but ill sort out the problems when i get to it.

another of the heel.

neck shot
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^ theres a guy over at project guitar called eric that offers a service for almost any type of fretboard you could possibly imagine, only problem is he's in USA and the postage is £30, ive been after someone to combine shipping with actually, check this link out http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=35066
download the spreadsheet and it quotes you prices for whatever you need i got a quote of £20 on a 27.5" scale 28 fretter, which im going to buy pretty soon, so let me know if your interested in combining on shipping, its about £40 for 5 fretboards to get shipped
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^ awsome thanks.
ill be ready to order on payday which is the 18th for me unfortunatly hahaha

adam and eve guitars do buisness once again haha ( see what i did there)

anyways, yeah for anyone else, i should be ordering my flame top on the 18th too or within the days soon after that, im still unsure on pickups yet, i was thinking maybe an emg 81 with afterburner in the bridge and an emg single coil in the neck, mehhh.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
adam and eve guitars lmao

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
not sure where im getting the top from yet, might get it from ormsby, i want a really good figure onit.

and no white box, it was against a browny purple wall in my room but for some reason it came out like that haha
the pictures are mega bright for some reason too it is mahogany it doesnt look that bright up close.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Page 1 of 3