Hey this is my first post here but I've been reading awhile

I play a Schecter c1+, Epiphone Gibson (maybe someone can later help me figure out exactly what it is) and an Ibanez acoustic.

Anyway I just picked up a ValveKing 112 from GC about 3 days ago. It was a floor model and I've been playing it pretty regularly the last few days without any problems.

Then about 10 minutes ago I powered off the amp, unplugged my Schecter to tune and it hooked it back up and turned the amp back on. After it warmed up all it gave me was REALLY loud static. I turned it off and tried turning it on without the guitar, checked all the connections and even tried turning it on with all the controls in different positions.

Anything simple it could be or is it going back to GC?
dude it's the guitar. Exact same thing happened with my C-1+. have u been twisting that little bolt on the input jack? if so then you've frayed a wire and u need to re-solder the wires for the input jack.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by COBHC728
dude it's the guitar. Exact same thing happened with my C-1+. have u been twisting that little bolt on the input jack? if so then you've frayed a wire and u need to re-solder the wires for the input jack.

How does this happen?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
fuse maybe?

i learned a lesson last night as it relates to Power and Standby - what combo are you following with these two switches?

:

Standby for about a minute then power on.

I haven't been using an pedals and I have tried both the C1 and Epiphone and different cables.

Where is the fuse I'm looking for?
I agree. When something goes wrong, the first thing you do is see if you can reproduce the fault using different combinations of gear. You'll quickly narrow the problem down to a specific part of your chain, then you can examine that further. I reckon you've either got a dodgy cable or the hot/ground wires have come loose at your guitar's input jack.

EDIT: The fuse should be near to the power lead, replace it with one of same rating. Also check your power valves for any obvious damage (eg rattling, burns etc). While the amp's on try lightly tapping the tubes with a fingernail and seeing if any sound comes through the amp. Also make sure your speakers are properly connected.
Last edited by kyle62 at May 10, 2008,
1 minute standby is too little I guess...I leave it min. 5 minutes.
Maby one of your pre-amp tubes is dead.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic

No need for 5 mins, I leave my 100 watt head on for 30 seconds
Quote by kyle62
I agree. When something goes wrong, the first thing you do is see if you can reproduce the fault using different combinations of gear. You'll quickly narrow the problem down to a specific part of your chain, then you can examine that further. I reckon you've either got a dodgy cable or the hot/ground wires have come loose at your guitar's input jack.

EDIT: The fuse should be near to the power lead, replace it with one of same rating. Also check your power valves for any obvious damage (eg rattling, burns etc). While the amp's on try lightly tapping the tubes with a fingernail and seeing if any sound comes through the amp. Also make sure your speakers are properly connected.

Yah I have tried a few combinations and I know it is the amp.
When I turn the amp on it starts making noise as it warms up that keeps getting louder and louder until I shut it off at which point it doesn't immediately stop but gradually goes back down again.

I think it is one of the tubes, guess I'm takin in back to GC.
Quote by Kozlic

I believe 1 minute is enough.

Quote by AugenbraueZug
Standby for about a minute then power on.

Hang on. What exactly do you mean with this? It should be like this:

Both switches start facing the same direction. You flip the power switch - lights come on, but there's no sound even if you play. The amp is now in standby mode. Then after a minute or so, you flip the other switch, and you can play.

Is that what you're doing?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I believe 1 minute is enough.

Hang on. What exactly do you mean with this? It should be like this:

Both switches start facing the same direction. You flip the power switch - lights come on, but there's no sound even if you play. The amp is now in standby mode. Then after a minute or so, you flip the other switch, and you can play.

Is that what you're doing?

Yep
IT IS NOT A FUSE, DONT WASTE MONEY ON BUYING A NEW ONE. If it were a fuse, the amp wouldn't turn on. It sounds like your phase inverted tube has gone bad. I dunno which it is on your amp, but just get a 12ax7 you know to be good and switch go by trial and error until you find the faulty one. Or just trade it in for a new amp, there is no reason they should sell an amp with less than stellar tubes.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Yes, don't waste your money on buying a fuse that costs about 10 cents or whatever.

But anyway, if the amp turns on, it's not the mains fuse. There could be an another fuse in the amp, but I don't think it's that either if you get some sound out of it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
Yes, don't waste your money on buying a fuse that costs about 10 cents or whatever.

But anyway, if the amp turns on, it's not the mains fuse. There could be an another fuse in the amp, but I don't think it's that either if you get some sound out of it.

Well if he drives out to a Radio Shack, buys the fuse, installs it, and his amp still doesn't work, he will have spent gas money, time and energy and be no closer to solving his problem.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I bought it literally about 3 days ago and I'm pretty sure they offer a 30-day refund no questions asked.

I was just asking to be sure that I wasn't doing anything stupid.

Thanks for the help.
Take it back.I have never ever hurt any of my valved amps by turning them on wrong. Turn the thing on and play the tubes will warm up just fine.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
A ton of tube amps lack a standby, and I often turn my VC30 on ignoring the standby, as I have a hunch that a tube won't even draw a HV supply until it's warm? IMO it's a convenience thing, unless I can be proved otherwise.

Agreed on trying it with another guitar, other leads etc.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Standby is great between sets so when you come back on the tubes are ready to rock. But your right a ton of amps never were intended to have that on them.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by MrCarrot
A ton of tube amps lack a standby, and I often turn my VC30 on ignoring the standby, as I have a hunch that a tube won't even draw a HV supply until it's warm? IMO it's a convenience thing, unless I can be proved otherwise.

Some people report never using standby and not having problems, but then theres stuff like that one thread from a month back or so where someone's friend blew the tubes in his Roadking by not using the standby. Or something like that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
The vast majority of pre-70s amps didn't have standby, and i'm fairly sure a lot of them did not suffer the same fate. Coincidence perhaps? I'll argue based on my knowledge.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
The vast majority of pre-70s amps didn't have standby, and i'm fairly sure a lot of them did not suffer the same fate. Coincidence perhaps? I'll argue based on my knowledge.

Might be. I'm too scared of breaking something so I'll keep using it anyway. I think you should ask some boutique amp maker about it. I believe they know their stuff (and a lot of them seem to be very friendly too).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
Might be. I'm too scared of breaking something so I'll keep using it anyway. I think you should ask some boutique amp maker about it. I believe they know their stuff (and a lot of them seem to be very friendly too).

The one's I asked said to use standby and properly shut it down and power up. The End.
so Fama, tnx for clearing me up last night. i should have asked here when i got my Valveking but i guess i was under a false assumption that you turn the standby on first to warm the tubes up before injecting power, and then opposite sequence when shutting down meaning Standby is turned off last.

i searched far and long and seemed to get all kinds of different answers and i can't find anything in the manual or peavey site that talks about it including their forum.

is there some holy grail of information on his that is the absolute truth?

also, for the past 3 weeks or so, i've been doing what i stated above (standby,power,play,power off, standby off)

will this hurt my amp even if i change sequence starting today or is it just a tube wearing issue? that is why when i first read the TS start i was curious if something like this could happen to me.

also - after i shut down - the power tubes crackle (light 'tingy' pop) for several minutes after i'm done (as they cool down i guess)...is that normal?

tnx

;
Don't worry about it.If an amp is that poorly made that something breaks because of the way you turn it on or off then theres something wrong.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
If its 3 days dont even worry about fixing it, thats why there is a return policy....

And word of the wise never buy a floor model amp from GC... Those amps are seriously abused...