well im trying to learn 1 song and 1 solo, and they both need fast picking....any help on picking faster???
My Youtube Channel

ESP LTD KH202 Kirk Hammett Signature ROCKS! n im gettin it, which ROCKS EVEN MORE!

Quote by MightyAl
I'm going to say mine would be one with a build-in Fleshlight, so I can f*ck my guitar and play it at the same time.
play a chromatic scale across six strings along to a metronome and gradually bring up the tempo.

edit: also practice just doing it downpicking, up-picking (is there a better term?), and alternate picking. basically find what tempo you can comfortably play without making mistakes then bring it up a bit. practice until that tempo becomes comfortable then bring it up again. Repeat as desired.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at May 10, 2008,
whats a chromatic scale??? could u show me an excample?

much appreciated
My Youtube Channel

ESP LTD KH202 Kirk Hammett Signature ROCKS! n im gettin it, which ROCKS EVEN MORE!

Quote by MightyAl
I'm going to say mine would be one with a build-in Fleshlight, so I can f*ck my guitar and play it at the same time.
Start very slowly with a metronome to get your picking both perfectly in time and economised - so using as little effort as possible, moving as little as possible and reducing any tension in your shoulders and forearms. Very gradually up the tempo, and only when you have it absolutely perfect at the slower speed.

e|------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5------------------|
B|----------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------2-3-4-5----------|
G|--------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------2-3-4-5--|
D|------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------|
A|----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------|
E|--1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------|  etc

e|------------------------------------------2-3-4-1-4-5-2-3------------------|
B|----------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------5-2-3-4----------|
G|--------------------------4-1-2-3---------------------------------2-3-4-5--|
D|------------------3-4-1-2--------------------------------------------------|
A|----------2-3-4-1----------------------------------------------------------|
E|--1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------|  etc

These are chromatic exercises (they don't strictly follow the actual chromatic scale A B# C C# D etc).
Last edited by blue_strat at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Pibbz
well im trying to learn 1 song and 1 solo, and they both need fast picking....any help on picking faster???

1st of there is no trick that will make you pick fast all of the sudden. Its take practice and time. it wont happen over night.

I would NOT recommend the chromatic thing. Instead of doing that, just work on the actual solo..... or an actual solo.

if the song and solo you chose is realistic for your skill level:

- practice it very slow to a metronome
- work on the sections that are giving you trouble

the main thing: play it slow for a while 1st

If the solo is unrealistic for your skill level:

learn some easier solos 1st.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 10, 2008,
Move your hand at your wrist, not your elbow, shoulder or fingers. This allows much fast alternate picking. Start slowlly though to reduce risk of injury.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by MorbidVirus
Pick faster

if i cud i would
My Youtube Channel

Quote by MightyAl
alternate pick the chromatic scale across all 6 strings down then back up, do this to the 12th fret and then go back down the neck.

use a metronome and make sure every single note is clean, if you can't play every single note cleanly then slow down, once you can play them cleanly speed up the tempo.

do this every single time you pick up a guitar as a warm up. it takes time but there isnt a faster way to do it.

you just have to pay attention to your playing, really focusing on your technique and constantly criticizing it. Theres no point in playing fast if it's sloppy.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I would NOT recommend the chromatic thing. Instead of doing that, just work on the actual solo..... or an actual solo.

In regard to this, I'll say that chromatic exercises are good for building up long-term dexterity and speed, but only work over long periods of time. For focusing on a particular solo, I would agree that you need to focus on the actual solo instead of using exercises in its place.
Playin fast is like playing slow, only.. fast.. So learn the song slow, make ur fingers get comfortable with the pattern in the song and speed it up little by little
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
thnkz for all the help gys, and last thing: is there any application i can download with a metronome i could use???
My Youtube Channel

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Pibbz
whats a chromatic scale??? could u show me an excample?

much appreciated

[font="Courier New"]
e-----------------------------------------5-6-7-8-7-6-5-------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------5-6-7-8---------------8-7-6-5-----------------------------------
G-------------------------5-6-7-8-------------------------------8-7-6-5---------------------------
D-----------------5-6-7-8-----------------------------------------------8-7-6-5-------------------
A---------5-6-7-8---------------------------------------------------------------8-7-6-5-----------
E-5-6-7-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-7-6-5---[/FONT]
Quote by blue_strat
focus on the actual solo instead of using exercises in its place.

yeah thats my point. what happens is you avoid the issue (playing a solo), and then tell yourself your getting better because of some exercise, when in reality, you still can't play the solo.

also in regards to the quasi chromatic thing. I've spent plenty of time with that. In my experience it 's a waste of time, because your training yourself to do something that you won't apply musically. I find you can get all of the benefits and alot more from playing actual scales (including the actual chromatic scale).
For focusing on a particular solo, I would agree that you need to focus on the actual solo instead of using exercises in its place.

I disagree. If a particular weakness in your technique is making the solo difficult, building an exercise around that technique is the best solution.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by GuitarMunky
yeah thats my point

also in regards to the quasi chromatic thing. I've spent plenty of time with that. . In my experience it was a waste of time, because your training yourself to do something that you won't apply musically. I find you can get all of the benefits and alot more from playing actual scales (including the actual chromatic scale).

true. for nailing the solo you'll probably just want to focus on the cliche'd licks rather than that chromatic scale. watch Guitar Masterclass Kirk Hammet Edition to learn these licks that are just about in every rock/metal solo. practice those and get them up to speed.

edit: especially Lick 3, this lick way too overused...
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
I disagree. If a particular weakness in your technique is making the solo difficult, building an exercise around that technique is the best solution.

well you would have to try the solo 1st, to know what that weekness is. also you could just work on the part thats giving you difficulty. That would the same as doing the exercise, except your actually working on the solo. Its a more direct route to solving the problem.

also the point was that you shouldn't work on some unrelated exercise.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
true. for nailing the solo you'll probably just want to focus on the cliche'd licks rather than that chromatic scale.

well working on cliche licks can't hurt, but im saying don't avoid the issue. You want to learn a particular solo..... learn THAT, not something else.
Quote by GuitarMunky

well working on cliche licks can't hurt, but im saying don't avoid the issue. You want to learn a particular solo..... learn THAT, not something else.

of course, I'm not saying not to practice the actual song but just practice these too because they're sure to help, not just with learning this one solo but for most others too. chances are he'll probably encounter at least one of these licks in the solo anyways.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
of course, I'm not saying not to practice the actual song but just practice these too because they're sure to help, not just with learning this one solo but for most others too. chances are he'll probably encounter at least one of these licks in the solo anyways.

right as a general thing to practice those are very helpful for sure. I didnt mean to discourage it, I was just talking in context with the TS's original question. Its a great tip.
Quote by Pibbz
thnkz for all the help gys, and last thing: is there any application i can download with a metronome i could use???

ummm............anyone?
My Youtube Channel

Quote by MightyAl
thnkz
My Youtube Channel

Quote by MightyAl
http://www.nch.com.au/metronome/index.html

Is the third result on google, and is downloadable
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums