What are those "a." symbols called and what do they mean? I've been trying to find this out for some time now.
I don't know for sure, but what instrument is it for? If it's for violin/cello etc, I'd guess that it means arco - use the bow.
Possibly accelorando. Or maybe they are just marking something that doesn't relate to the music itself.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
-Maybe it stands for "anular" which is spanish for ringfinger (according to online dictionaries).
Pima markings are almost always above the notes(or at least lined up with them) - so I'm 90% sure it's not that. also, you wouldn't use A for those 3 notes.

The fact that it's followed by a period kind makes me think it's a phrase marker like a, a-prime etc. But again, i've never seen it like that.
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination